Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2015 2:12 pm  #1

Books you’d like to see translated

The title says it all

Lectures on First Philosophy – Edmund Husserl

Well I trust Husserl needs no introduction. His lectures on First Philosophy contain a lot of material on the relationship between the development of phenomenology and the history of Western metaphysics, particularly Leibniz. Apparently some of the material here was to form part of the aborted Ideas III (the book published under that title is actually notes for the second part of Ideas II). I know someone was meant to be working on a translation of this for Springer but nothing more’s been heard for the last couple of years.

Hedwig Conrad-Martius - Everything but especially Realontologie, Das Sein and Bios und Psyche

HCM was a pupil of Husserl and friend of Edith Stein. at first she persuaded the realist phenomenological program of eidetic analysis (though I'm inclined to think that's a tautology) but later became interesting in Scholastic philosophies of Nature and Cosmology, and spent the latter half of her career providing phenomenological justifications of those ideas particularly on the context of life sciences.

Josef Seifert -Gott als Gottesbeweis. Eine phänomenologische Neubegründung des ontologischen Arguments/ God as Proof of His Own Existence. A New Phenomenological Foundation of the Ontological Argument and Sein und Wesen.

Josef Seifert is probably the leading Catholic phenomenologist since the death of John Paul II. He has written a number of interesting books (I would recommend his What is Life?) and essays few of which have been translated into English. God as Proof of His Own Existence is his major work and has been translated into Arabic

Olavo de Carvalho – Everything but especially Edmund Husserl contra o Psicologismo,

Carvalho is a Brazilian Catholic Traditionalist, Phenomenologist and political dissident (there is no other word) whose works were responsible for my taking up the study of philosophy in the first place*. Edmund Husserl contra o Psicologismo is a huge 700+ pages set of lectures notes dealing with everything from realism to the ontological argument - he plans to work into an organised publication at some point but until then it circulates freely as a PDF as long as one can speak Portuguese.

*Yes, I read entire books with the help of Google translate and online dictionaries.

9/05/2015 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Books you’d like to see translated

Much agreed with you on Hedwig Conrad-Martius.

Edith Stein - Einführung in die Philosophie (ESGA 8), Der Aufbau der menschlichen Person (ESGA 14), Was ist der Mensch? (ESGA 15), and Übersetzung: Des Hl. Thomas von Aquino Untersuchungen über die Wahrheit - Quaestiones disputatae de veritate 1/2 (ESGA 23/24), 

Since DanielCC has already mentioned Stein, all I have left to say is that her realist phenomenology is the reason I am no longer a Kantian agnostic. I read in an article by Mette Lebech that Antonio Calcagno is translating either ESGA 14 or 15.

Franz von Baader - "Ueber zeitliches und ewiges Leben und die Beziehung zwischen diesem und jenem", and Die Weltalter, ed. Franz Hoffman

Baader was influential for several 20th century Christian thinkers, such as Erich Przywara, Max Scheler, Edith Stein, and Herman Dooyeweerd. He did have an anti-Thomist streak to his thought (see Friesen, "The Mystical Dooyeweerd," (7) The four types of ground motives). On the other hand, I find his critique of Enlightenment thought top-notch. The essay listed above is mentioned in the editorial footnote of Stein's Investigation Concerning the State (20 - 21n40, I believe).

Herman Dooyeweerd - De Wijsbegeerte der Wetsidee (3 vols., Amsterdam: H.J. Paris, 1935 - 6), Vernieuwing en Bezinning om het Reformatorisch Grondmotief, ed. J. A. Oosterhoff (Zutphen: Van den Brink, 1959), and every one of his Philosophia Reformata articles.

I don't know how to explain my fascination with this guy, considering his (extremely) weak understanding of Thomism and the history of philosophy. He has some interesting critiques of Husserl's notion of naive experience, and was one of the few other Christian philosophers to critique Heideggerian existentialism.  The texts above have been translated before, but they are severely weak translations as they stand.

K. Roland Heintz, B.A.
Economics, U.C. Santa Cruz 2017
Blog | Website

9/05/2015 7:30 pm  #3

Most of these books are German! I know it isnt practical for some people, but I love learning languages. If you wish to read a lot of German books, you could learn German.

With a living, thriving language like German it might be a shame not to be able to speak it as well, but if you are only interested in reading, then I find it a lot easier to learn to read a language than to speak it.

9/13/2015 3:27 am  #4

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

With a living, thriving language like German it might be a shame not to be able to speak it as well, but if you are only interested in reading, then I find it a lot easier to learn to read a language than to speak it.

Husserl has the additional problem of many of his untranslated works being in an antiquated 19th century German shorthand system (have they all been retranscribed now in the German editions? I'm not sure).

But yes, you're quite right re learning the German.

Last edited by iwpoe (9/13/2015 3:27 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera