Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2015 6:06 am  #11

Re: Historical errors

Once we're speaking about Galileo, I always understood the Church's original position as one of anger over his portrayal of the Pope as 'Simplicio', rather than anti Copernican doctrine (although there were most definitely those who were always opposed on religious grounds).

After all, Copernicus was encouraged to write 'On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres' by a Cardinal, and devoted the work to the Pope.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

10/27/2015 6:32 am  #12

Etzelnik wrote:

Once we're speaking about Galileo, I always understood the Church's original position as one of anger over his portrayal of the Pope as 'Simplicio', rather than anti Copernican doctrine (although there were most definitely those who were always opposed on religious grounds).

After all, Copernicus was encouraged to write 'On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres' by a Cardinal, and devoted the work to the Pope.

My friend John did a series of infographics on Galileo:

Last edited by iwpoe (10/27/2015 6:33 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

10/27/2015 7:32 am  #13

Hmm do I remember correctly that he (Galileo) gives a brief defence of the Kalam Argument somewhere? I seem to remember Sobel implying something of the kind - if anyone has a copy of Logic and Theism to hand do check this for me. Of course anyone familiar with Galileo's own oeuvre beyond the few dialogues is welcome to chime in, but, then again, to quote Leopardi, who still reads Galileo any more?

10/27/2015 4:36 pm  #14

Mysterious Brony wrote:

@Last Rites Yes! I know about Draper and White and they hold most of the responsibility for spreading those historical caricatures. At least in US culture, historical myths keep roaming around that are biased against Christianity or Christians. I also agree with you that history is not biased against Christians or among professional historians. In fact, Cambridge recently released a 700 page book that focuses on Medieval Science: http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-History-Science-Medieval/dp/1107521645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445920573&sr=1-1&keywords=cambridge+medieval+science.

Unfortunately, the social studies are being neglected in schools, which is why these myths persist. It isn't even a matter of these items not being taught or being taught incorrectly (though that may be a part of it) so much as it's a matter of us failing to teach children how to reason and think critically. I'm biased, of course, but in my department last fall all the social studies teachers were instructed to devote 30 minutes every week to teaching students how to read textbooks. As if we can spare the time. And my God, it makes me frightened to consider what's being taught in the English department.

But anyway, that's not what this thread is about. I see Lindberg is a contributor to the Cambridge book. He and Ronald Numbers are two of the best historians of medieval science. I'm sure the book is top-notch.

"Rule 110: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience."
--from Master George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation

10/31/2015 11:08 pm  #15

Galileo was on trial for his Life and future - in Charges of Criminal, Evil activity  -  for demonstration of His best theory of how the Earth was related in the universe.

he was forced to literally RECANT -  ( Change His mind about His Findings and Swear to never repeat them again ).

He Lived the rest of His life underhouse arrest because  He was not interested in endangering His Life and becoming a Scientific Martyr.  The Romantic Catholic Church would have slit His Throat or Burned Him alive.    He was a weakling perhaps and not brave enough to stand up to this horrible Church. 
............... Perhaps he was wize and patient.     In the Following years  - He kept His mouth shut and the Roman Catholic Church could not USE Him to promote their religious Claims.

Thank You for having me.

11/01/2015 1:00 am  #16

@Last rites:

How in heaven's name do you spend a half an hour teaching a student how to read a textbook?

It seems mighty self explanatory to me at least.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

11/01/2015 6:09 am  #17

@theway,

You're welcome to argue any point you wish though if you want to do it seriously I’d recommend you do it by way of reasoned argument. Likewise if you wish to argue controversial claims as you make on the website linked to please provide some evidence in their favour – it will help your own case a great deal.

Otherwise, just posting accusations in bold type (I realise the typography may not be intentional) comes over dangerously like spamming

Last edited by DanielCC (11/01/2015 6:13 am)

11/01/2015 5:05 pm  #18

@theway No one at any point in medieval history was burned at the stake by the Catholic Church for their scientific beliefs. Indeed, it's pretty dubious to claim there were scientific martyrs of any kind. Galileo's ordeal was an anomaly. I'd be interested to hear what source you're using.

@Etzelnik Right? Not to mention they should waste the English department's time with that crap anyway, since it's their fault students come to my class and can't read.

"Rule 110: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience."
--from Master George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation

11/01/2015 6:47 pm  #19

@theway, a good book that talks about the whole Galileo issue is "The Genesis of Science" by James Hannam. Also, I think this book gives one a good introduction to Medieval Science and how it developed.

@Etzelnik Yes, I think Galileo was hard-headed. He made the situation worse by releasing the book, "Dialogue Concerning The Two Chief World Systems."​ He portrayed the Simplicio (The Pope) as one-dimensional.

11/03/2015 2:48 am  #20

Hey there   : -  Mysterious Brony. 

What great topics You have brought up.  

I would Like to discuss the idea / topic of  Jesus Mythicists,  However i know for a fact that this discussion does not go anywhere, as You and the forum have skilfully demonstrated.    

Because there is no way to Prove for a FACT that - The Lord Jesus Christ who Performed  Miracles, rose from the dead and ascended to heaven -  truly eXisted.  There are no Photos, Videos, or Audio.  There are no other Non Biblical Eye Witness accounts recorded in writing eXcept for The Bible Alone.  Sola Scripture.   We know about The Roman Government Media Man Josephus who was and outsider who never witnessed any of these miracles in person and never claimed to have seen Jesus.

Josephus Wrote  “ He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him ” - Jewish Antiquities, 18.3.3 §63.

There may be a comment somewhere in the archives of Romes library about the mention of Jesus existing as well.    But All of this evidence still does not prove that Jesus performed miracles and rose from the dead.

There is no other Eyewitness account of these miracles eXcept the Gospels. And that is as far as the subject goes.  And we all here already know these things.  So i honestly dont get the point of this topic. 

Perhaps that is why there are no others typing in Bold type and none of Your topics yet been discussed in this forum.               

Thank You for having me.

Board footera