Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2015 7:03 pm  #61

Re: Seeking Clarification of Feser's Philosophy

For now, a better rendition of Parmenides's argument can be found here.

7/08/2015 9:09 pm  #62

Let me state to be what I take to be an argument equivalent to the rendtion of Parmenides's argument DanielCC presented in the thread to which you linked:

1. Everything that changes is changed by something else.
2. Being and only Being exists.
C. Therefore, nothing changes.

This argument is valid. One can avoid the conclusion by accepting one of the following:

~1. Something that changes is changed by itself.
~2. Something other than Being exists.

One can refute the above rendition of Parmenides without invoking potency. Suppose one accepts ~2 by saying that the objects in the scenario of the man who pushes a stone with stick exist. The man changes the stone by pushing it with the stick. Therefore, something changes.

Last edited by truthseeker (7/08/2015 9:11 pm)

7/08/2015 9:17 pm  #63

truthseeker wrote:

Now that we've discussed what potency is, let's discuss why one would adopt the notion. Feser writes that one needs to adopt potency to refute the following arguments:

(1) Change would require being to arise out of non-being or nothingness.
(2) From non-being or nothingness, nothing can arise.
(C) Therefore, change is impossible.

(1') A runner can get from point A to point B only if he first reaches the midpoint between A and B.
(2) He can reach that midpoint only if the first reaches the point midway between A and the midpoint, then the point midway between A and that midpoint, and so on ad infinitum.
(C) Therefore, he can never move beyond A.

Neither of these arguments seem to me to require that one postulate potency.

So you believe that from nothing anything and, indeed, everything comes and will follow?

Do you believe that wood itself and as such can be anything or everything?

Last edited by Timocrates (7/08/2015 9:17 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/09/2015 6:35 pm  #64

Timocrates wrote:

So you believe that from nothing anything and, indeed, everything comes and will follow? 

Do you believe that wood itself and as such can be anything or everything?

No, I believe neither of these propositions. I assume you ask these questions in connection with my rejection of Parmenides's argument providing a compelling reason to accept the act/potency distinction.

Feser, paraphrasing Parmenides, wrote:

(1) Change would require being to arise out of non-being or nothingness.
(2) From non-being or nothingness, nothing can arise.
(C) Therefore, change is impossible.

All one needs to do to refute the argument is choose one of the following: 

~(1) Change would not require being to arise out of non-being or nothingness.
~(2) From non-being or nothingness, something can arise.

Accepting ~(1) seems to me to be the best way to deal with Feser's Parmenides. Here's a scenario that disproves (1): A man covers a hole by pushing a stone in front of it with a stick. The state of affairs of the stone covering the hole is a being. When that being comes into being after not being the case, one can say that that being arises. That being arises out of the man's pushing the stone with the stick, and the man's pushing the stone with the stick is also a being. There is a change here, and the change doesn't involve being arising out of non-being or nothingness. It involves a being arising from another being. I did not have to invoke the act/potency distinction in this scenario, so there are other ways of refuting Parmenides's argument than invoking the act/potency distinction. Thus, the argument doesn't force us to accept the act/potency distinction.

Last edited by truthseeker (7/10/2015 10:09 am)

7/11/2015 10:47 am  #65

Hi truthseeker,

Would it be correct of me to suppose that, at root, you're asking "What entails that we ought to accept the act/potency distinction?"

Last edited by John West (7/11/2015 10:49 am)

7/11/2015 11:16 am  #66

Yes.

7/11/2015 11:21 am  #67

Okay. I take being-in-act (actuality) as a self-evident feature of reality. I don't think anyone (including people that deny the act/potency distinction) really denies—or can deny—actuality, for they would be demonstrating there is something actual even in their denial of it. 

With that in mind, I think your question can be reduced to the question, “Is there a way any one thing can become that it isn't already without ceasing to exist because of a change in identity?” If there is, then that thing has potencies. 

I'll stop here for now. If there are no questions about this, I can jot out more detailed argumentation some time later (unless, of course, others do so.)

Last edited by John West (7/11/2015 11:32 am)

7/11/2015 11:23 am  #68

truthseeker wrote:

This argument is valid.

Only if it's regarded as an enthymeme with the missing premise

3. Being is simple and is not multiplied.

We need (3) in order to infer that "one" Being (or part thereof) can't be changed by "another" Being (or part), from which it follows by (1) that Being does not change. That lemma doesn't appear to follow just from (1) and (2), at least without what might be regarded as a tendentious definition of "Being."

I'm mentioning this just for completeness, as it indicates another point at which the argument can be questioned.

Last edited by Scott (7/11/2015 11:25 am)

7/11/2015 11:30 am  #69

truthseeker wrote:

Let me state to be what I take to be an argument equivalent to the rendtion of Parmenides's argument DanielCC presented in the thread to which you linked:

This argument is valid. One can avoid the conclusion by accepting one of the following:

~1. Something that changes is changed by itself.
~2. Something other than Being exists.

One can refute the above rendition of Parmenides without invoking potency.

But that just raises the problem again. How can Being - 'the All' - "change itself"? This would seem to imply its imparting to itself something that it lacked. But being lacks nothing and the only thing other to being is nothing/nothingness. Being would thus, in any change, become
- even more being or
- less being or
- no being
In any change. Therefore being would remain unchangeable.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/11/2015 11:32 am)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/11/2015 11:42 am  #70

John West wrote:

Hi truthseeker,

Would it be correct of me to suppose that, at root, you're asking "What entails that we ought to accept the act/potency distinction?"

Excuse me, I should've been more careful in my reply. Ultimately, I want to know what entails that we ought to accept the act/potency distinction. But thus far in the thread, I just want to know how refuting Parmenides requires that we accept the distinction, and how refuting Zeno requires that we accept the distinction. I would appreciate it if for now we focused on Parmenides' and Zeno's arguments and how they require that we accept the distinction.

Scott wrote:

truthseeker wrote:

This argument is valid.

Only if it's regarded as an enthymeme with the missing premise

3. Being is simple and is not multiplied.

When I wrote 2., I intended 'Being' to be a proper name for the one and only entity. Thus, I understand your 3. to be equivalent to my 2.

Board footera