Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2015 4:23 pm  #81

Re: Seeking Clarification of Feser's Philosophy

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

Before I studied philosophy, if you asked me what made change possible, I would say it was the flow of time, and if you asked me what time is, I would say, "I don't know."  I know lots of ink has been spilled by philosophers and physicists on the nature of time, but for the most part it seems like it's still a great mystery.
If you remove time, I would think you remove the possibility of change.

In Aristotelian and Scholastic philosophy, time is a measure of change, not vice versa, and change is the more fundamental notion.

7/11/2015 4:23 pm  #82

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

That is helpful.  I don't see that any of it is logically necessary because it seems like Paramenides' definition of "being" is question-begging.  Only by assuming everything is one unchanging substance do we come to the conclusion that change is impossible. But I'm probably still misunderstanding.
I said this in the other beginner's question forum, but I don't see how potentiality is logically necessary.  Before I studied philosophy, if you asked me what made change possible, I would say it was the flow of time, and if you asked me what time is, I would say, "I don't know."  I know lots of ink has been spilled by philosophers and physicists on the nature of time, but for the most part it seems like it's still a great mystery.
If you remove time, I would think you remove the possibility of change.  Thinking of X as potential Y doesn't seem helpful.  
I think part of my problem is that I'm hypostatizing potentiality in the wrong way-I think I'm drawing in my mental picture of physics class where they have the little bar graph of potential energy and kinectic energy and the two amounts sliding back and forth as a ball bounces.  I know that the tendency to bring mental images is a big danger in metaphysics.

Well, I would say this: is there a difference between time and things? Is everything "just time" or is there a difference in nature? For classic philosophers, time was a consequence of being not a necessary conditional of being. Change made for time; not time, change: no change, no time.

You are hardly alone in feeling that the actuality and potentiality distinction seems superfluous. We should remember, however, that these terms are primarily metaphysical in nature. Consequently, physics or empirical science are apt to ignore or assume them at leisure, even though they are, as it were, always riding under the surface.

Logical thinking is perhaps the easiest way to come to see the need for these specialized terms. Consider the following question:

Is wood potentially charcoal?

As I said in another post, logically considered this question - as formulated - actually raises a lot of difficulties, even though most would agree in ordinary conversation that wood can become charcoal. However, from the logician's point of view, this can sound almost absurd. Wood itself does not become charcoal and has no potentiality to become (itself) charcoal. To admit that would be to deny there is any difference between wood and charcoal in the first place, as they would have to be the same thing and, consequently, there would be no change at all. Of course, philosophy provides us with some terms that can help us here, especially the distinction between substance (which can change) and essence (which cannot change). Further distinctions between Form and Matter and finally Act and Potency also start to become relevant.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/11/2015 4:23 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/11/2015 4:34 pm  #83

Timocrates wrote:

Well, I would say this: is there a difference between time and things? Is everything "just time" or is there a difference in nature? For classic philosophers, time was a consequence of being not a necessary conditional of being. Change made for time; not time, change: no change, no time.

You are hardly alone in feeling that the actuality and potentiality distinction seems superfluous. We should remember, however, that these terms are primarily metaphysical in nature. Consequently, physics or empirical science are apt to ignore or assume them at leisure, even though they are, as it were, always riding under the surface.

Logical thinking is perhaps the easiest way to come to see the need for these specialized terms. Consider the following question:

As I said in another post, logically considered this question - as formulated - actually raises a lot of difficulties, even though most would agree in ordinary conversation that wood can become charcoal. However, from the logician's point of view, this can sound almost absurd. Wood itself does not become charcoal and has no potentiality to become (itself) charcoal. To admit that would be to deny there is any difference between wood and charcoal in the first place, as they would have to be the same thing and, consequently, there would be no change at all. Of course, philosophy provides us with some terms that can help us here, especially the distinction between substance (which can change) and essence (which cannot change). Further distinctions between Form and Matter and finally Act and Potency also start to become relevant.

That is both helpful and confusing, but I'm grateful for your response.  I would have thought wood being potential charcoal would be one of the more basic examples of X being potential Y.  What would be an example of X being a potential Y?  Are two liters of hydrogen gas and one liter of oxygen sitting in cannisters next to each other potential water?  Is an acorn a potential oak tree?  Is a man with two hands a potential man with one hand?  If any of those Xs are potential Ys, how do any of those examples differ from wood being potential charcoal? Or am I just misusing the term "potential" entirely?

7/11/2015 6:44 pm  #84

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

That is both helpful and confusing, but I'm grateful for your response.  I would have thought wood being potential charcoal would be one of the more basic examples of X being potential Y.  What would be an example of X being a potential Y?  Are two liters of hydrogen gas and one liter of oxygen sitting in cannisters next to each other potential water?  Is an acorn a potential oak tree?  Is a man with two hands a potential man with one hand?  If any of those Xs are potential Ys, how do any of those examples differ from wood being potential charcoal? Or am I just misusing the term "potential" entirely?

Well, that's the thing. It's properly the material principle of wood that has the potentiality to be (or become) charcoal. All I am drawing out is that the essence of things do not change and are not interchangeable.

We see this more clearly if someone were to say that "black is potentially white." There more people would see a problem. We would probably say instead that this black surface is potentially a white surface. In that latter description it's obvious that the potentiality is on the part of the surface (and whatever it happens to be made of) that is the material basis of the colour.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/11/2015 6:45 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

7/11/2015 7:13 pm  #85

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

I would have thought wood being potential charcoal would be one of the more basic examples of X being potential Y.

Timocrates has already addressed this, but I'll offer another supporting example in order to bring out his point more clearly.

A human being can be hacked to pieces. Does that mean a human being, as such, is potentially a severed head, four severed limbs, and a torso?

Your first inclination is probably to say, "Yes, of course." The reason that's wrong is what's important here.

What actually becomes all those scattered body parts is not a human being as such, but the material that currently composes the human being's body. The human being as such doesn't "become" something else; s/he just stops being a human being when s/he dies.*

(According to Aristotle, a severed hand isn't even properly a hand any longer, but a "hand in name only." It's really a hand only when it's part of a living organism; afterwards, it's just a chunk of matter that used to compose a hand.)

What makes a human being a human being is its form. And what Timocrates is explaining is that forms themselves don't undergo change; matter just swaps out one form for another.

"Wood" is, in his view**, a substance of a certain form, a compound of that form with matter. That form doesn't become the form of charcoal (or of anything else), so it's not the case that one substance (wood) becomes another substance (charcoal). The matter of which the wood is composed simply loses the form of wood and takes on the form of charcoal.

----

* I'm ignoring the immortal soul here, but I think it's tolerably clear that the surviving soul is at least not a complete human being. At any rate the important thing is that the dead body is no longer "human" in the proper sense.

** I say "in his view" not necessarily to contrast it with mine, but to indicate that there's room for disagreement about which bits of inanimate nature have their own forms and which bits are just aggregates of smaller bits that have their own forms. And "wood," at least in this example, counts as inanimate nature; even though it comes from a tree, it's not part of a tree any more.

Last edited by Scott (7/11/2015 7:35 pm)

7/11/2015 7:45 pm  #86

Thanks for the replies Scott and Timocrates.  That makes a lot of sense.  It also gives me the feeling that the waters are deep as soon as you step off the shore.

7/11/2015 8:22 pm  #87

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

Thanks for the replies Scott and Timocrates.  That makes a lot of sense.  It also gives me the feeling that the waters are deep as soon as you step off the shore.

Heh. Well, we'll never run out of things to argue about or discuss, that's for sure. 

I think part of what makes even the first bits seem difficult, though, is just that we weren't raised in the intellectual atmosphere in which this "style" of thinking was the norm. We have to work/think hard in order to grasp even some of the basics that were the common coin of Scholastic thought.

7/11/2015 10:00 pm  #88

I've thought about everything you guys have said and I'd like to ask a question that perhaps is only a stumbling block to me. The way I was presented Aristotelian philosophy in high school and college was that Aristotelian philosophy is tied up with Aristotelian science and therefore can be safely ignored.  That Aristotelian metaphysics, including actuality and potentiality, was developed in part as a response to Democritus and atomism, but that atomism was right.
I know that you need metaphysics before you have any science at all.  But I clearly don't understand what we mean by act and potency, or why the existence of act and potency is a logical necessity.  
The bias I have from this background leads to a voice in my head asking "What's the use of thinking of the wood as potential charcoal, or thinking of grass a potentially a sheep?  Just talk about the science behind the process."  I'm glad that you've cleared up that the wood isn't potential charcoal, that although a sheep might eat grass, the grass isn't a potential sheep, etc.
Let's imagine we have a universe that consists of a single ball moving around in a vacuum.  Do we need the ideas of act and potency to describe change in this universe?  If so, do we say that the ball is actually at point A and potentially at point B?
I ask because so much of the visible change we see in our real universe is just the movement of particles (and energy).

7/12/2015 11:30 am  #89

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

I've thought about everything you guys have said and I'd like to ask a question that perhaps is only a stumbling block to me. The way I was presented Aristotelian philosophy in high school and college was that Aristotelian philosophy is tied up with Aristotelian science and therefore can be safely ignored.

This is not true. Saint Thomas has no difficulty clearly separating the metaphysical truths of Aristotelian from Greek scientific thinking at that time; e.g., their cosmology. Saint Thomas clearly said that there could be any number of different theories or explanations of how, for example, the heavens moved but that this was ultimately irrelevant - and he is right.

Philosophy is based on first and self-evident truths and principles. Philosophy answers to man's deepest yearning and desire for fundamental and necessary truths about reality. No scientific theory can even be intelligible or coherent unless it conforms to these truths. This is why philosophy is the Queen of the Sciences; she is, in fact, their mother too, insofar as any remotely plausible scientific theory always assumes philosophical truths or the first principles, such as non-contradiction, identity, sufficient reason and causality.

ArmandoAlvarez wrote:

But I clearly don't understand what we mean by act and potency, or why the existence of act and potency is a logical necessity.

Act and Potency are difficult concepts. But consider the following: exactly how are we supposed to speak of this world and universe pre-Big Bang?   Was it absolute nothing? Strictly speaking that cannot be true, as even what is simply logically possible is not absolute nothing. Impossibles and the unreal are nothing in this way (e.g., a non-reptilian reptile is truly a nothing or none-thing); however, extinct species, though no longer existing, could yet again still exist and there is nothing impossible or unreal about them.

Further, how are we to speak about the fact that you are actually awake but potentially sleeping? Indeed, it is in fact impossible that when you are actually awake that you are potentially not awake (e.g. sleeping) at the same time. That is, as I said, quite impossible, as it implies you could both be and not be awake at the same time. But what could be more intuitive than the idea that at any time I am either sleeping or awake and may be one or the other? Logically necessary considerations such as these can help us to see something of the sense and cause of such technicaly philosophical terms as Act and Potency.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/12/2015 11:32 am)

7/12/2015 12:46 pm  #90

Thanks for the reply, Timocrates.  I think I am both understanding more and more confused.
Why is me being awake now and asleep later a problem?  I'm not awake and not-awake at the same time.  I'm doing one and then I'm doing the other.  Every articulation of the law of non-contradiction I've heard goes along the lines of "Nothing can be both X and not-X at the same time."  I don't see why we should assume that something can't be both X and not-X at different times.
Is the question "How can anything be itself with varying attributes?"  Like how can I be me despite being composed of different cells today than yesterday, despite being taller than I was when I was a child, etc.?  If that's what these concepts are getting at, I can see how that's a useful question and how act and potency might be an answer to that.
And how about my question about motion. Do act and potency describe motion, or is that some other concept.  Do we say that a ball that is at point A is potentially at point B, or am I misusing the terms?

Board footera