Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2015 7:45 am  #1

The Metaphysics of Quality

The Metaphysics of Quality​

A review of ‘Absolute goodness, rhetoric and rationality: a discussion of Robert Pirsig’s novel Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Plato’s Phaedrus.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of philosophy? If so, I'd like to know your thoughts on this since I'm engaged in conversation with an advocate.

12/19/2015 10:12 am  #2

Re: The Metaphysics of Quality

It's pop philosophy that I'm suspicious of because it is (1) not in conversation with the philosophical tradition (though it borrows many terms in a way that seems suspicious) and (2) seems specious in its presentation. For this particular case see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirsig%27s_metaphysics_of_Quality

I am myself familiar with Zen, but I'm not at all sure what is to be gained though the buddhists in terms of metaphysics. They certainly are better than post-enlightenment popular scientism, but this is hardly and accomplishment. That we conclude that we must go outside the Western tradition to recover the non-material shows the extent to which scientism has prevailed in the last century, but the buddhist position is nearly always so unclear or stated in terms of an alien tradition to such an extent that little is to be gained. 

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/19/2015 9:07 pm  #3

I agree with what you've said.

iwpoe wrote:

They certainly are better than post-enlightenment popular scientism, but this is hardly and accomplishment. That we conclude that we must go outside the Western tradition to recover the non-material shows the extent to which scientism has prevailed in the last century, but the buddhist position is nearly always so unclear or stated in terms of an alien tradition to such an extent that little is to be gained. 

I'm learning this the hard way, then. The turning point of our little conversation was what it meant by quality, and however it is different from subject/object metaphysics. I still have no idea how what it means by quality and thus distinct from objects, but that's his main reason to select that over any other form of metaphysics, and ergo, superior to any other form of metaphysics. However, unless 'quality' is somehow made distinct from objects of perception, I fail to see how this is any proper philosophy.

12/19/2015 10:05 pm  #4

Well, I readily know what's trying to come to words in this position. He's meaning to overcome the peculiar modern dualism between the human world of thought, society, ethics, culture, and etc and the extra-human natural world. This is why his lack of philosophical conversation bothers me. The last two centuries have had massive attempts to articulate that issue and to solve or dissolve it. Even Kant has his thumb on it, but gigantic philosophical names like Hegel, Shelling, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, etc but also whole religious, artistic, political, and social/ethical efforts have been and continue to be directed at that problem. This is as clumsy as Ayn Rand in trying to approach the problem in that it acts like if you just call all of reality moral/value them everyone will both see what that means and neither fall into habits of thought that think that the "moral" is really just human/illusion/fantasy/unscientific etc nor lack sufficient perspective to uphold a view that tries to say that against all the scientistic dismissals it will face.

In other words, this is mere dogma, not logos, not self-supporting.

Last edited by iwpoe (12/19/2015 10:06 pm)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

12/20/2015 9:13 pm  #5

Oh yes, you're right. I understand the whole thing now.

iwpoe wrote:

This is as clumsy as Ayn Rand in trying to approach the problem in that it acts like if you just call all of reality moral/value them everyone will both see what that means and neither fall into habits of thought that think that the "moral" is really just human/illusion/fantasy/unscientific etc nor lack sufficient perspective to uphold a view that tries to say that against all the scientistic dismissals it will face.

In other words, this is mere dogma, not logos, not self-supporting.

Unfortunately, it did end that way. Somehow 'quality' is metaphysically prior to all things, even truth, and known by all, and we're intellectually dishonest to deny it --- or something along those lines.

I asked him, if I was in a conversation with someone about the status of Universals, and if they asked me, "What did you have for lunch, and why did you have it?" I'd consider that question irrelevant to whether or not Universals exist. Unfortunately, he thinks it's mightily relevant and that everything I do is because 'quality' comes first, even if he can never define it and make distinct from objects of perception. So, thus. . .everything has quality. 

​What did I get myself into...?

12/21/2015 1:11 am  #6

Dennis wrote:

I asked him, if I was in a conversation with someone about the status of Universals, and if they asked me, "What did you have for lunch, and why did you have it?" I'd consider that question irrelevant to whether or not Universals exist. Unfortunately, he thinks it's mightily relevant and that everything I do is because 'quality' comes first, even if he can never define it and make distinct from objects of perception. So, thus. . .everything has quality. 

Everything has quality, but it's not so obvious that mere stating it would suffice. "What did you have for lunch and why did you have it?" is related to Universals if you are currently under the spell of your latest revelation concerning Universals, but otherwise the relationship has to be demonstrated step by step.

12/21/2015 1:48 am  #7

The partner I had is referring to purely my personal motivation as that. But then again, he hasn't a clue as to what it means. His reason for asking these questions is that in answering him, I'd be self-evidently aware of 'quality,' without knowing what it is---whatsoever.

For instance,

"Why do you do philosophy?"

Me: Because I like it.

"That's quality. It's amusing that you deny that."

Last edited by Dennis (12/21/2015 1:49 am)

12/21/2015 9:24 am  #8

Yeah, that's Zen 'attend to the immediate' kind of stuff. Zen and Eastern thinkers in general prefer practical examples like "your lunch" whereas I might want to talk about theoretical concepts, but it's not an unheard of tactic.

It's perfectly serviceable as a direction to go in when you're refuting a gross reductionist view of the world. For instance, If I was talking to an eliminativist, one of the strategies I would employ would be to point out all the conscious phenomena around him that he's operating with and would have to give up if he really committed to his position.

But that would merely be preparatory. I would also do my best to understand the arguments my opposition is employing and other related schools of thought and employ them in a counter-argument. After all, the eliminativist is going to deny that the mental phenomena I'm pointing out ultimately are what I say they are. At the very least I'm going to have to show him that they aren't eliminable and/or I'm going to have to show that the arguments that motivate his position are invalid, frivolous, &etc. 

I mean, you're on a Thomist website. I highly doubt that you have a core disagreement with him. It's not as if you think that "values" are merely human illusions and all that is is the non-value physical reality described to us by the natural sciences. His problem is likely that he thinks he's arguing against a real opponent, when the problem is that his vocabulary is too simplistic to encorperate sympathetic points of view.

Last edited by iwpoe (12/21/2015 9:30 am)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

12/21/2015 9:36 am  #9

iwpoe wrote:

I mean, you're on a Thomist website. I highly doubt that you have a core disagreement with him. It's not as if you think that "values" are merely human illusions and all that is is the non-value physical reality described to us by the natural sciences. His problem is likely that he thinks he's arguing against a real opponent, when the problem is that his vocabulary is too simplistic to encorperate sympathetic points of view.

Yes, this is about the gist of it. My main hurdle was to understand how or what exactly 'quality' was. I'll give you a short run down of the conversation. We were talking about direct realism, and then suddenly, it was suggested by him that Direct Realism takes into notice such kind of a distinction(subject/object), I moved on to ask what his philosophy would do sense reception, and how he would either (a) explain away the distinctions that we receive via our senses or (b) why is it that this collapses into some form of monism and thus eliminating our concoctions. But as said, I failed to see any proper distinction between quality, and the objects of our reception without collapsing it into Indirect Realism. If you think that they succeed, I'd like to know as well.  That's not to say that the proponent would admit that it does indeed collapse distinctions or that it is some form of monism. I literally haven't a clue as to what it is.

And yes, the problem is entirely that, the terms are too unclear. There's also a bit of sophistry involved. "Why should truth be the subject/goal of philosophy? Truth isn't, quality is primary." 

12/21/2015 10:08 am  #10

You should let him know, in as nice a way as possible, that since he's a live opponent it's incredibly frustrating to have to translate all his intentions into something that makes sense without any help. He seems to have a position I agree with, but if I have to deal both with him saying incredibly vague things with words I already understand in a very different sense *and* him actively telling me that I'm opposed to him on differences of vocabulary alone then we're not going to get anywhere. And it's not like I *have* to do nothing but figure him out. Heidegger has the advantage of being in Germany and dead. He's right here with you and quite alive.

Force him to make distinctions, and if he can't there's no discussion. You can read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance just as well as he can (if not better, since you don't insist on ossifying it into a rigid and simplistic metaphysical lexicon).

Last edited by iwpoe (12/21/2015 10:09 am)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera