Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2015 10:19 am  #11

Re: The Metaphysics of Quality

If I ever do read that, it'll be very long down the road. Thanks for that, I've done that on the day that we talked. I've also invited him to this forum for precisely this reason. If he's interested, he'll take the offer, join and talk through. 

12/21/2015 11:18 am  #12

Well, while I'm likely to be a bit rough on him, I do know what he's talking about, more or less.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/30/2016 7:02 am  #13

I'm here to join and talk through.  Still have questions?

7/30/2016 7:13 am  #14

Hello and welcome! Finally, this has been a long wait. Do you mind opening a new thread under the Philosophy tag and describing your position? I'd like that and it'd be a good start.

EDIT: If you don't wish to start a new one, let's get to the heart of it.

(1) Why should one accept the Metaphysics of quality over other metaphysics?

(2) Is the Metaphysics of quality a monist metaphysic?

Last edited by Dennis (7/30/2016 7:23 am)

7/30/2016 7:46 am  #15

Prefer not to start a new thread for now..

(1) Why should one accept the Metaphysics of quality over other metaphysics?

Because it is a better way to understand experience and it will make you a better person accordingly.

(2) Is the Metaphysics of quality a monist metaphysic?

Yes it is ultimately monist in that everything is Quality.  Whether it be defined quality (static quality) or undefined betterness (Dynamic Quality).

7/30/2016 9:24 am  #16

Everything is quality, as opposed, to what exactly? Substances *with* qualities?

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/30/2016 9:30 am  #17

Yes.  Unlike what is usually presumed - Quality creates substance. In the MOQ 'substance' could be what is called either inorganic patterns of value, or biological patterns of value. 

7/30/2016 9:35 am  #18

goodmetaphysics wrote:

Yes.  Unlike what is usually presumed - Quality creates substance. In the MOQ 'substance' could be what is called either inorganic patterns of value, or biological patterns of value. 

Yes, I am aware of the basic way you use words; I need a translation manual.

What does that mean, 'a quality creates a substance'?

What is a biological *value*? What bearing if any does 'value' here have to the ordinary uses of 'value'.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

7/30/2016 9:49 am  #19

What does that mean, 'a quality creates a substance'?

I say that Quality creates substance. Dynamic Quality to be precise.  Dynamic Quality is the undefined source of all things in the MOQ.  Substance is a defined static quality created (like all things) by the undefined source.   

What is a biological *value*? What bearing if any does 'value' here have to the ordinary uses of 'value'.

For (hopefully) an expedited understanding of the Metaphysics Of Quality I recommend checking out a trilogy of websites I created.

www.metaphysics.is
www.som.is
www.moq.is

But to answer your question - the distinction between inorganic value and biological value is that while both are physical matter - inorganic quality (or inorganic patterns of value) is all physical matter without DNA and biological quality (or biological patterns of value) is all physical matter with DNA. 

7/30/2016 9:51 am  #20

Also to say that everthing is quality is not necessarily monism. I mean you start the whole system with a distinction between qualities. You've not said everything is *one* quality.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera