Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2016 7:16 pm  #11

Re: Onto-illogical!

I don't know what mode he is operating in. Kantians and their looser relatives (Rawls, presuppositionalist apologists), will usually at least admit that rational has to be adjudicated by some principal of consistency. In Kant, for instance, practical reason requires obedience to the categorical imperative, which looks very much something like the principle of non-contradiction for ethics. Given his approach, Plantinga probably means that atheists are irrational in the sense that they end up being internally inconsistent in a number of ways.

I'm fine as far as this goes, I suppose, but much like Hegel I want to actually go ahead and start swimming rather than standing by the pool and discoursing about what does and does not count as swimming. Knowing has a definite metaphysical character, as does the world, and it is not the mere consistent adjudication of an infinite number of givens. That approach to this problem ends up merely being a via negativa: what you wanted to say is ultimately what reason is and what the world is in their most general character, but that would be metaphysics, which he has soundly rejected, either explicitly or tacitly.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/28/2016 10:34 am  #12

Re: Onto-illogical!

I *have* read a defense of Anselm's ontological argument, complete with dense logical apparatus. However, I don't recall anything more about it, other than that its complicated proof of the proof gutted the original argument's nature to stun people when they 'get' it.

There's something about the OA that isn't quite about the proof itself. It makes you look around in your mind for 'that than which nothing greater can be thought' - what on earth could *that* be, you mutter internally - and if you're a prepared person, suddenly you stumble across Him. Yikes! you mentally cry out. IMHO.

I'll see if I can dig it up that old paper online.

C Kirk

Board footera