Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2015 4:54 pm  #91

Re: Suggesstions for the forums and issues for moderation.

Yeah, I agree with John on that as well, but if we're going to make a History section I would place it there.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

6/30/2015 4:54 pm  #92

Well, how much demand could there be with only 25 registers? If one person is enough, then let me put in my bid for a logic forum, which is at least as closely related to philosophy and classical theism as some of the extant forums.

6/30/2015 4:56 pm  #93

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

By the way, does anyone know if there is any member here didn't come here through Dr. Feser's blog? We are on the boadhost listing, but not google yet, so I doubt it, but would be interesting.

Yeah. There's one guy who just finished a degree with his philosophy classes primarily under Rondo Keele I invited, who signed up.

Last edited by John West (6/30/2015 4:59 pm)

6/30/2015 4:56 pm  #94

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

By the way, does anyone know if there is any member here didn't come here through Dr. Feser's blog? We are on the boadhost listing, but not google yet, so I doubt it, but would be interesting.

Me. Although I am acquainted with Dr. Feser's blog, iwpoe and I have interacted in the past, and he told me about the forum.

6/30/2015 4:58 pm  #95

John West wrote:

Well, how much demand could there be with only 25 registers? If one person is enough, then let me put in my bid for a logic forum, which is at least as closely related to philosophy and classical theism as some of the extant forums.

I'm looking more at potentiality which I feel I can help develop. I'm not sure what added appeal a logic forum would hold over a philosophy one.

6/30/2015 5:03 pm  #96

I think logic could be contained in the philosophy forum, whereas there are historical topics that don't fit easily into the other topics (though there are also historical topics that can fit in other forums as well). But I agree there is not a pressing need for a history section at the moment. If a history section is added later, it could be combined, as somone already pointed out, with a humanities or human society section for academic discussions of history, society, economics and the like. Not sure if it would be better to place politics in there or not.

6/30/2015 5:18 pm  #97

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I think logic could be contained in the philosophy forum

Since my main interest in logic is mathematical, I'm not sure I agree. But I was actually just being sarcastic.

-----
Anyway, I look forward to some of those substantive, non-administrative threads that were mentioned.

Last edited by John West (6/30/2015 5:22 pm)

6/30/2015 5:22 pm  #98

John West wrote:

Since my main interest in logic is mathematical, I'm not sure I agree. But I was actually just being sarcastic.

-----
Anyway, I look forward to some of those substantive threads that were mentioned.

Yeah, I'm gonna post in the Politics forum. I guess I'm outvoted. 

Sometime tomorrow the thread should go up.

6/30/2015 6:02 pm  #99

Well, anything concerning philosophy of mathematics belongs in the philosophy section, and anything concerning maths and pedagogy belongs in the education forum. If it more mathematics in itself that you wish to discuss, then, yes, that doesn't have a forum, though it will be fine in the philosophy forum for now. It may be possible to add a forum for maths and sciences. That was one I had in mind as eventually existing if there was demand. I don't think it, along with the human society forum, would be too many forums, but I can't see a need for many more.

Etzelnik,

Eventually, I am sure there will be a history section or, more probably, a larger humanities or human society section.

6/30/2015 6:07 pm  #100

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Well, anything concerning philosophy of mathematics belongs in the philosophy section, and anything concerning maths and pedagogy belongs in the education forum. If it more mathematics in itself that you wish to discuss, then, yes, that doesn't have a forum. It may be possible to add a forum for maths and sciences. That was one I had in mind as eventually existing if there was demand. I don't think it, along with the human society forum, would be too many forums, but I can't see a need for many more.

Etzelnik,

Eventually, I am sure there will be a history section or, more probably, a larger humanities or human society section.

I mean, if we would also have mathematics, physics, astronomy, and chemistry forums, in addition to the philosophy, theology, arts, and human society, this would be my Valhalla (especially mathematics and physics), but I understand the need for prudence.

Ahh, the intemperance of youth... 

Last edited by Etzelnik (6/30/2015 6:08 pm)

Board footera