Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2015 6:13 pm  #101

Re: Suggesstions for the forums and issues for moderation.

Well, I can't imagine we would need separate forums for the scientific disciplines, or even subforums, but a science and mathematics forum would seem fine eventually.

6/30/2015 6:15 pm  #102

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Well, I can't imagine we would need separate forums for the scientific disciplines, or even subforums, but a science and mathematics forum would seem fine eventually.

Don't mind me, I'm just salivating over my intellectual fantasies. 

Noli turbare circulos meos.

6/30/2015 6:15 pm  #103

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Well, anything concerning philosophy of mathematics belongs in the philosophy section, and anything concerning maths and pedagogy belongs in the education forum. If it more mathematics in itself that you wish to discuss, then, yes, that doesn't have a forum, though it will be fine in the philosophy forum for now. It may be possible to add a forum for maths and sciences. That was one I had in mind as eventually existing if there was demand. I don't think it, along with the human society forum, would be too many forums, but I can't see a need for many more.

I was genuinely just being sarcastic to make a point, Jeremy. I really don't expect there to be a mathematics forum, no matter how indebted contemporary philosophy is to mathematical logic.

I think we ought to keep things focussed adding new forums only when they're sufficiently justified, and if that means ultimately having fewer people then I'm fine with that. I have no interest in corporatizing.

Last edited by John West (6/30/2015 6:42 pm)

6/30/2015 6:50 pm  #104

We may need to add a "Meta" or "Po-Mo" section. This must be one of few discussion forums on the Web devoted primarily to discussing its own structure and organization. 

Hey, can we add a subforum called "The subforum containing all subforums that do not contain themselves"?

Last edited by Scott (6/30/2015 6:52 pm)

6/30/2015 6:52 pm  #105

Scott wrote:

We may need to add a "Meta" or "Po-Mo" section. This must be one of few discussion forums on the Web devoted primarily to discussing its own structure and organization. 

We're engaged in the ordering of our collective soul. Do not disturb.

Edit: I like your subforum idea, if only to get people to scratch their heads.

Last edited by Etzelnik (6/30/2015 6:57 pm)

Noli turbare circulos meos.

6/30/2015 6:56 pm  #106

Scott wrote:

S'why I added the adjective "non-administrative" to "threads" earlier. 

7/01/2015 8:09 am  #107

My main reason for wanting to split the Philosophy Forum (aside from fact that it looks more professional) at least is that it's going to be taking most of the weight of action and people shouldn't feel their questions on specific topics just end up swamped in general discussion.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

By the way, does anyone know if there is any member here didn't come here through Dr. Feser's blog? We are on the boadhost listing, but not google yet, so I doubt it, but would be interesting.

Thinking aloud: I hope Feser gives us a link in his next Around the Web post. I am wondering what would be the best way to tactfully advertise these boards - I think there's most definitely niche for this type of site in Philosophy of Religion circles; a way to set up a sort of dialogue with all those WLC fan-bloggers (that's meant with no disrespect) out here.

7/01/2015 8:58 am  #108

DanielCC wrote:

I am wondering what would be the best way to tactfully advertise these boards - I think there's most definitely niche for this type of site in Philosophy of Religion circles; a way to set up a sort of dialogue with all those WLC fan-bloggers (that's meant with no disrespect) out here.

What I saw Jeremy do yesterday was tasteful. Usually there is a function that lets you turn your username into a link. If you link your name to this forum and provide good, clear, cogent arguments (at philosophy of religion blogs you already read I mean), then that advertises better for this forum than bopping around dropping links like some internetized used car salesman ever could. In fact, it's the only thing I've seen that I consider even a little tasteful.

Last edited by John West (7/01/2015 9:12 am)

7/03/2015 1:12 pm  #109

A few comments on earlier ideas. (1) We might want to reconsider doing a full beginner's sub-forum for the "Philosophy" forum in a couple weeks, if a significant enough number of the posts there are those kinds of inquiries (though "beginner's forum" may sound a touch condescending). In spite of my earlier idea, I now doubt a single post-it thread will contain all the questions we will get. We can relabel that post-it FAQ, or something. (2) I would support Daniel's sub-forums for general philosophy and philosophy of religion. His guess about the philosophy forum taking the brunt of the load seems to be checking out.

Last edited by John West (7/03/2015 2:07 pm)

7/03/2015 5:53 pm  #110

When it comes to advertising, I know there are certain forums that largely exist to advertise forums and websites, but apart from that I don't really know anyone else. I am a member of another board, but I wouldn't expect many news posters from it.

Board footera