Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2016 5:42 pm  #1

Is This Anti-Pro-Life Messaging Libelous?

Politco.com (U.S. Edition) is right now running a lot of ads for the Hilary campaign but also a bunch of anti-pro-life advertisements. Normally I wouldn't mind this but these ads are, in my opinion, out and out libel. Please visit politico.com to see what I mean. The following screenshots show the libelous (in my opinion) ads. But from it you can clearly see that these ads claim the "pro-life political agenda" is motivated by racism. An incredibly audacious claim for anyone familiar with the U.S pro-life movement's long-standing accusations about, e.g., where Planned Parenthood (PP) places their clinics and which U.S ethnic group is disproportionately serviced by PP. I have two screen shots but unfortunately the image uploading site I am using is being uncooperative so I can directly load the images here. If the link doesn't work, please visit Politico.com (U.S. Edition) to see for yourself.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30jmeyq&s=9#.VusyiUfpH-A

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=nmhtmh&s=9#.VusvvEfpH-B

"Simple Definition of libelous
: containing an untrue written statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone"
- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/libelous

Last edited by Timocrates (3/17/2016 6:13 pm)

Do you believe the advertisement constitues libel?

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/17/2016 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Is This Anti-Pro-Life Messaging Libelous?

I don't think it is libellous. It is stupid. But then much of the popular debate on this issue (and many others) is stupid and devolves in slogans. Whether a fetus is a person seems quite separate to me from the duties of the state to provide for poor babies and their mothers.

3/17/2016 6:09 pm  #3

Well, my argument for it constituting libel is the fact that if I became a politician the ad claims that - because I am pro-life - I necessarily do not support a minimum living wage (which I do - and not only for black mothers!!!),

To spin it around, what if there were ads claiming that pro-choice politicians support genocide against black Americans? The claim is outrageous - it's PP's own policy that gears towards targeting poor, black neighborhoods. It's obviously not necessary that a pro-choice politician supports also that policy.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

3/17/2016 6:39 pm  #4

I would also add that the ad (actually a series of ads) further claim that "pro-life politicians oppose affordable access to abortion for black women. End the Hypocrisy."

Could anything more totally insane be thought? It's hypocritical for a pro-life politician to oppose providing cheap abortions? How ridiculous is this?

Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wcqxko&s=9

Followed immediately by the already linked to above "End the Hypocrisy" ad. Completely freaking insane.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/17/2016 6:50 pm)

3/17/2016 7:02 pm  #5

No, not legally. They know what they're doing. They have several routes by which they can escape lible. First, the targets of the ads are extremely vague. You have to actually be making a statement about someone in particular or at least some organization in particular. If you're not picking a particular target then no one has standing to sue. This is roughly the equivalent of proclaiming "someone around here is a murderer" in a crowded area. It's not even clear who is being defamed, so it would be hard to establish injury in the first place.

Also, the claims are very vague. How many black women? What kind of danger?

Moreover, if they were to pick a target they would likely pick a public figure, since public figures have an extremely strict bar to demonstrate libel.

Also, defamation laws are particularly weak in the United States, and are likely to result in failure for the plaintiff. See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_defamation_law

Last edited by iwpoe (3/17/2016 7:11 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/17/2016 7:47 pm  #6

Well, I didn't necessarily mean libelous in the sense of legally actionable. They do pick one political figure (Rep. Duffy) then move to an abstract generalization of all pro-life politicians.

Moreover, it's not clear how they could claim that either the individual or the category of people (pro-life politicians) intend to deny a minimum living wage to black women specifically. This effectively accuses the politician they name and pro-life politicians generally of being both racist and sexist.

Finally, what could be more brazenly false then claiming that a pro-life politician is a hypocrite for refusing to support "affordable" abortions?

3/17/2016 8:16 pm  #7

It is false (or at least bad faith and uncharitable), but if they were ever pursued they'd be likely to claim criticism and commentary.

I took you to be asking about the law since you chose the term libel. I'm not exactly a solid pro-life, but it's obvious to anyone who can think that this is done in bad faith.

I mean this stupifying aspect to popular politics is why I usually don't participate directly. I would literally prefer a dictatorial state to this type of "democracy", and I hope that the present State goes under.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/19/2016 5:36 am  #8

Timocrates wrote:

Well, my argument for it constituting libel is the fact that if I became a politician the ad claims that - because I am pro-life - I necessarily do not support a minimum living wage (which I do - and not only for black mothers!!!).

Anyone explain what the supposed rational behind that argument is? The best I can give

1. Pregnancy puts one's health at risk, particularly in cases where the mother is not in optimum physical condition.
2. Many black women live in economically lower end conditions (no racial stereo-typing here folks!)
3. Ergo a percentage of black women will be placed in a more risky situation if they are obliged to bring to full term a pregnancy they would otherwise have terminated.

The above is true but I don't really see what the point of it is. Doubtless the economic burden and thus negative health implications for poor black families (no racial stereo-typing here folks!) would be lessened if they were permitted to leave infants to die on the rubbish heap, or, better yet sell young children into bondage.

3/19/2016 12:59 pm  #9

iwpoe wrote:

It is false (or at least bad faith and uncharitable), but if they were ever pursued they'd be likely to claim criticism and commentary.

I took you to be asking about the law since you chose the term libel. I'm not exactly a solid pro-life, but it's obvious to anyone who can think that this is done in bad faith.

I mean this stupifying aspect to popular politics is why I usually don't participate directly. I would literally prefer a dictatorial state to this type of "democracy", and I hope that the present State goes under.

I sometimes think that is part of the idea or intention. Break people's faith in freedom or democracy by scandalizing them. It's a sad tactic to present oneself as being almost impossibly unreasonable. It sometimes seems that some people will even resort to out-and-out emotional blackmail, like a child threatening to hurt themselves if they don't get their way in a last ditch effort.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/19/2016 1:00 pm)

3/19/2016 4:05 pm  #10

Timocrates wrote:

I sometimes think that is part of the idea or intention. Break people's faith in freedom or democracy by scandalizing them. It's a sad tactic to present oneself as being almost impossibly unreasonable. It sometimes seems that some people will even resort to out-and-out emotional blackmail, like a child threatening to hurt themselves if they don't get their way in a last ditch effort.

I never had any faith in democracy, since, popular nature being what it is, incompetence with regards to rule is highly likely. Every age except our own knew that, which is probably, again, due to our incompetence with respect to rulership.

I would also point out that "freedom" in the conservative Hobbiton 'my land, my ways' sense was perfectly well known under British monarchy (we inherit the idea from that time and place), and that our system amounts to a tyranny and a rebellion. I find it strange to be amidst a group systematically suspicious of modernity except with respect to the democratic republic, whose political mechanisms are the source of much of the secular decay that Christians rightly abhor. Hell, even our rebellious fully modern intellectual founders (except, maybe, Jefferson) were suspicious of *popular* rule and put numerous now whittled down barriers in its way.

Last edited by iwpoe (3/19/2016 5:47 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera