Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2016 4:52 pm  #1

I think I know why people consider voting for Trump.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433338/religious-freedom-georgia-governor-nathan-deal-veto-coward

​When Republican leaders, even in Georgia, act like this, can you blame some people for considering Trump? The irony, of course, is you couldn't trust Trump on this sort of thing, certainly not as much as Cruz.

​This does all seem to confirm what should now be obvious: left-liberals do not live and let live. They are not content with what they first claim - simply having the state SSM or whatever. They always use concessions or gains as rallying points for the next assault. I don't know how anyone could have confidence, now, for example, considering the outrage seen against the smallest protections for religious institutions and religious-based employees, that left-liberals will be content to allow Churches not to perform or recognise SSM marriages (in Denmark, the state Church, I believe, has already been forced to perform them).  

3/29/2016 1:48 am  #2

Re: I think I know why people consider voting for Trump.

The modern republican platform is a marketing tool for politicians not even amounting to an ideology. This ought to be obvious insofar as it forms by the combination of the mere accretion of the most appealing aspects of their various allies' preferences. Relative religious strength in the population, especially Evangelical and Catholic strength, has dipped so the output of cosmetic bills passed will fall.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/29/2016 7:48 am  #3

Republicans hope they can slide under the radar and appease both their socially liberal corporate base and their socially conservative religious base. Probably won't work in the long run.

3/29/2016 8:29 am  #4

It's not clear to me what one is to do to prevent this when the ruler is both chosen and directed by masses of external forces.

Were rule done by a single person or at least an internally-directed and structured organization, then things might be different, but both our executive and legislative branches are easily influenced by outside forces. Perhaps if the power to determine national senate, house, and executive appointment were returned to state legislators rather than to popular election we might be able to better defray the influence of money or else if all candidates were required to fund their campaigns entirely by state funds and PACs were no allowed a place in the electoral process.

But the real problem is that there is no requirement that action follow principle (hell, you don't even have to have coherent principles if you can get people to vote for you), and I don't know how you could solve the matter. The party system clearly enforces nothing globally, especially if a member can get votes or influence.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/29/2016 12:27 pm  #5

The new Left is viciously fanatical. The Supreme Court has already effectively laid down transgenderism in their ruling that Americans (ostensibly) have a "right" to "define their identity":

"The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach," the Court declared, "a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obergefell_v._Hodges

Of course, these Justices are not oblivious to the Principle of Identity: Everything is what it is. They just vetoed it (or so they think).

I mean a six year old could see the stupidity in their ruling. The only restriction here is "within a lawful realm" but obviously that "lawful realm" is not the people's lawmaking power, because the people expressly declared again and again that same-sex unions were intrinsically unlawful. I mean they couldn't even get California to accept SSM.

But should I define myself as the Supreme Court, the liberal Justices will necessarily declare that this is not 'lawful'. Of course! What is 'lawful' is whatsoever happens to please them and tickle their fancy: that is the new "liberal."

Last edited by Timocrates (3/29/2016 12:38 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/31/2016 9:23 pm  #6

I must confess, I don't understand the furor over Trump's abortion comments. What is wrong with punishing women, as well as doctors, who get illegal abortions. It doesn't have to be done, and you probably wouldn't give them the same sort of sentence for murdering someone outside the womb. But I don't see why, if the fetus is a person and having an abortion is killing an innocent person, and the act is illegal, the option of punishment for the mother is absurd. Obviously, you expect pro-choicers and a media who is largely pro-choice and sees these issues through a pro-choice lens to attack Trump, but he has also been attacked by pro-lifers. Is this latter just PR, because it is not helpful to talk about punishing women at this point?

3/31/2016 10:24 pm  #7

A lot of pro-lifers argue that women shouldn't be punished for abortions. They suppose that women might be coerced or variously lied to. For instance, sometimes women become pro-life after having an abortion and seeing the remains of the fetus; I think it's possible for a woman to come to have the justified though false belief that a fetus isn't a human person, given the opacity of the forces communicating this. (Get on the phone with Planned Parenthood representative, who starts assuring you, who are very nervous and scared, that fetuses are just clumps of cells and the people who say otherwise are religious nutjobs who also try to get creationism taught in biology class.)

In a different culture, it might be practically impossible for such a belief to be justified, and that would have an impact on the culpability of women getting abortions. So I don't think punishing the mother is absurd, though I think it's inappropriate in our culture. I suppose that even now it is possible for someone to believe that fetuses are human persons and go ahead with an abortion; I also suppose that there are women who have unjustified beliefs that fetuses are nonpersons. But it's not possible to craft law around those cases.

(I think there are parallels here to debates a few months ago over attacks on abortion clinics--though it's slightly different. Mainstream pro-lifers uniformly condemn such attacks. Liberals responded that, if you think abortion is murder, then you can have no moral objection to attacks on abortion clinics.)

3/31/2016 11:05 pm  #8

I'm not buying it. They're about as coerced as the doctors are. Many people are often willfully ignorant when they have something they want to do and have a "change of heart" later when made to look at it and have nothing to loose. I'm perfectly willing to think that women can be vicious. I can't sell drugs if I'm in a bad spot and get off scot-free if I'm caught, why should they get off because they're stressed? And I certainly don't think anybody's going to have any sympathy when I say, "Well, I just thought it wasn't a big deal and everybody used responsibly and no one ever got hurt, but now that I know I'm just soooooo remorseful. The manufacturers above me *coerced* me."

I think this is sexist coddling of women and the presumption of their victimhood. Hell, if I just deal drugs I'm liable to be treated far worse, when all I'm doing is illicit trade. Maybe if I come to court in tears and with doe-eyed regret all the big strong men will protect me from my own choices. If you take the metaphysical argument against abortion seriously and literally, best case for them they're guilty of a kind of negligent manslaughter.

Last edited by iwpoe (3/31/2016 11:22 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

3/31/2016 11:12 pm  #9

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I must confess, I don't understand the furor over Trump's abortion comments. What is wrong with punishing women, as well as doctors, who get illegal abortions.

I don't understand. You understand the furor over Trump's abortion comments? By whom? It displeased both left and right-wingers in the U.S. They were furious for diametrically opposed reasons.

Moreover, Trump is known for his deliberately selective answering to parts of questions. Strictly speaking, he did (technically) say that a woman should be punished for having an abortion if it were illegal (d'uh); however, he can (and of course did) play the I'm-only-human card, and claim that necessarily if anything is against the law, then "there must be punishment." (Also d'uh).

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

It doesn't have to be done, and you probably wouldn't give them the same sort of sentence for murdering someone outside the womb.

Uh, no, if you wanted to end abortion tomorrow you threaten serious punishment. I'm not a Trumpite nor am I trying to sound misogynistic, but frankly to the credit of women they take corporal punishment much more seriously than men normally do. Death sentences don't even stop men from doing what is wrong. Women have much better sense.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

But I don't see why, if the fetus is a person and having an abortion is killing an innocent person, and the act is illegal, the option of punishment for the mother is absurd.

It's not. And this is what Trump is playing to.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Obviously, you expect pro-choicers and a media who is largely pro-choice and sees these issues through a pro-choice lens to attack Trump, but he has also been attacked by pro-lifers.

Rightly. He says that PP "does great things." The only rationale for that for Trump is that they literally make a killing, killing.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Is this latter just PR, because it is not helpful to talk about punishing women at this point?

The only real fear is that women (and men who participated/colluded knowingly) will belatedly be punished for their abortions; however, Conservatives aren't like modern Progressives and can't even conceive of violating the law in that way (I mean, punishing people for doing what was once technically legal). Conservatives are simply too law-abiding in thought and nature to even conceive of this; however, let's see the mercy and clemency of leftists once transgenderism is forced down Americans throats on those who once opposed it (as is happening today to people who once opposed homosexual activity).

In reality, curing society of the plague of abortion is really quite easy: teach young people about it (rather than teaching them filatio at 9). I don't mean being graphic about it, I mean the fact that it is only when we become middle to late teens that we become psychologically divorced from the womb: women are even less susceptible to this than men. We don't tell kids that we tolerate abortions because that would horrify and terrify them. They don't (rightly and literally naturally) see a difference (between it and them). That's one.

The second thing to do is to eliminate abortificients and prosecute anyone who produces such poisons or causes an abortion with instruments and charge them with murder.

Abortion would be gone in 10-20 years guaranteed. The reason is quite simply because it is the natural law. No one would be shocked that someone vacuumed into gunk a tiny baby in the womb was charged with murder. No one would be shocked that someone who provided poison that killed someone would be charged with murder.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/31/2016 11:24 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/31/2016 11:21 pm  #10

What? No. The reason would be because you educated a new ideology, eliminated abortifacients, and prosecuted abortions...

If the "natural law" on its own was effective without the acts of men you presumably would need to do nothing.

Last edited by iwpoe (3/31/2016 11:23 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera