Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2016 6:37 am  #1

Mid-Western America

Anyone here spent some time in the American Mid-West? Especially in Winter?

​I have decided to apply for teaching jobs at colleges and smaller unis in various countries, including the U.S. There are many interesting Mid-Western colleges but I'm a little apprehensive about the winter in these states. I've probably got a bit soft after living in Sydney for a while, but I never much minded the (South-Western) English winters (even if some complain). But that was a matter of putting up with night time temperatures of not much below zero and day time temperatures almost always above zero. I understand it can easily get to minus ten in somewhere like Michigan or Nebraska. Does it make life difficult or unpleasant in winter in these states?

​I have also considered Canada, but, except for perhaps Vancouver, there seems to be similiar issues, or worse.

3/29/2016 7:17 am  #2

Re: Mid-Western America

I mean, I don't think I need to tell you that cold is cold. Get a jacket and think about your tolerance. That said, average lows in January are more like 20 degrees in Michigan and only got below 5 degrees a handful of times in the last 4 years. The bad thing is snow and the commute with snow. Remember our public transportation in all but the largest wealthiest cities is terrible. We have 15 subway systems in the country and maybe 25 lite rail systems that are any good. Most of these are not in the midwest. So, unless you're smart enough to live in Chicago, expect to drive or ride the bus. I recommend driving.

If you're in a major metropolitan area with a lot of snow, things might not be too bad, especially if you live close to where you're working. These cities keep roads clear unless things are very bad. But let's say you want to save money and stay out of town. Well, I'd be prepared to slowly learn snow-driving skills. I'd ask neighbors about it before renting or buying a residence.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/29/2016 8:12 am  #3

It's sometimes harder to live in cities that get only a little snow than in cities that get a lot. People in the former lack snow tires; people in the latter flood stores a month before winter. In the former, 10 cm snow can shut down a city; in the latter, the plows clear the streets and people act as if nothing has happened. Likewise cold. In the former, houses tend to lack proper winter insulation; in the latter, they're all insulated and have indoor heating. If you decide to live somewhere northerly, make sure you look into the details.

3/29/2016 8:40 am  #4

John West wrote:

It's sometimes harder to live in cities that get only a little snow than in cities that get a lot. People in the former lack snow tires; people in the latter flood stores a month before winter. In the former, 10 cm snow can shut down a city; in the latter, the plows clear the streets and people act as if nothing has happened. Likewise cold. In the former, houses tend to lack proper winter insulation; in the latter, they're all insulated and have indoor heating. If you decide to live somewhere northerly, make sure you look into the details.

5cm is more accurate in the southeast, unless you're in the largest cities. I'm in the third largest city in my state, and 5cm of snow would shut things down for at least 1 to 3 days if temperatures didn't get above 28 or so. Though, keep in mind that I maybe had to suffer 1 or 2 real snow days this year, with a handful of others being only a 4 or 5 hours worth of inconvenience.

Actually, if they haven't salted the roads 2cm could shut down the city if it's cold enough to stick to the roads, but I've only had that happen once or twice in 10 years. In both cases it's the first snow, and I think the city probably has some kind of contract with a company that they don't trigger until they use them the first major snow, so they probably push up calling them until they're certain it's necessary.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/29/2016 11:22 am  #5

Jeremy,

It's cold, windy, snowy, and north of southwestern Ohio winter is a guest that just won't leave. Summers are hot and muggy. August will be the worst. But you'll get used to it.

Move to the Midwest. We have cookies! And potlucks! And snowmen! And county fairs! And really nice people! And cities full of activities! Best of all, West and East-coast people don't usually show up, they just fly over. Bless their hearts.

('Mid-Western America'; that's cute ;) )

Chris-Kirk, a Buckeye (i.e.Ohioan)

3/29/2016 11:28 am  #6

Do not move to Vancouver. That is a very bad place to be. Lots of problems there.

If you move to the States, move to the Southern states. It will be a culture shock to be sure (much more so than moving to Canada) but it is better in the South.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/29/2016 11:29 am)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/29/2016 5:52 pm  #7

iwpoe wrote:

I mean, I don't think I need to tell you that cold is cold. Get a jacket and think about your tolerance. That said, average lows in January are more like 20 degrees in Michigan and only got below 5 degrees a handful of times in the last 4 years. The bad thing is snow and the commute with snow. Remember our public transportation in all but the largest wealthiest cities is terrible. We have 15 subway systems in the country and maybe 25 lite rail systems that are any good. Most of these are not in the midwest. So, unless you're smart enough to live in Chicago, expect to drive or ride the bus. I recommend driving.

​I must say that I'm not a big city person. At this point, I've decided to not apply to colleges in large cities - New York, Chicago, probably even London. I have to go where the work is, but (except for Italy - and unfortunately my Italian is nearly non-existent at the moment - or England and Wales) I'd most like to work in a college town in the U.S, preferably somewhere that wasn't too cold in winter.

​I have never driven on the right hand side of the road before. But I definitely think you are right about driving.

John West wrote:

​I have noticed a similar thing. I find the winters in Sydney worse than England, especially at night inside. This is the despite the fact it rarely gets below 14 degrees (I mean Celsius, of course) in the day here in winter and night time temperatures not much below 8-9. It even isn't that unusual to get winter days 18 or more degrees here and sunny - not a terrible Summer's day in England. But as there is no central heating, houses older than a few decades lack insulation, and real winter clothing is rarer, winters feel worse here to me.  

3/29/2016 6:22 pm  #8

Shade Tree Philosopher wrote:

Jeremy,

It's cold, windy, snowy, and north of southwestern Ohio winter is a guest that just won't leave. Summers are hot and muggy. August will be the worst. But you'll get used to it.

Move to the Midwest. We have cookies! And potlucks! And snowmen! And county fairs! And really nice people! And cities full of activities! Best of all, West and East-coast people don't usually show up, they just fly over. Bless their hearts.

('Mid-Western America'; that's cute ;) )

Chris-Kirk, a Buckeye (i.e.Ohioan)

Not being a big city person, I have never had much interest in visiting New York or LA or Chicago. If I visited the US, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to visit them. But I'd love to see the American Mid-West, as well as the South and the Pacific North-West. I certainly have to visit one day.

3/30/2016 2:00 am  #9

Don't forget Texas; we have BBQ! And chili! And low cost of living! And our own power grid! And even nicer people than those in Ohio! Best of all, we never let the Yankees in; we just exiled them to Austin!

As for the warmth in the winter, I cannot even remember the last time we hit anywhere close to ten below 0 Celsius even at the sound of midnight; this winter, I never even turned on my heating system (although this winter has been a bit on the mild side for us).

The trade-off of course is that we get mostly mid to high 90's and a good smattering of 100's from late June through August, but that's not anything a little air conditioning cannot fix.

If you ever do get a chance to visit, don't be fooled by what you think you've been told; the really important event in the Texas Revolution was the Battle of San Jacinto, not the Alamo; history buffs should prefer to visit the San Jacinto monument over the Alamo.

Also, see the German painted churches in the hill country; and go visit the Blue Bell ice cream factory while you're in the area.

3/30/2016 5:19 pm  #10

Texan looks like a great place to visit. I'm not sure if I will get any job offers. But I certainly will apply to lots of places in the US, even the upper-mid-West!

Board footera