Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2016 10:31 pm  #21

Re: William Lane Craig and Kevin Scharp | Is There Evidence for God?

It's also rather complicated to say--cf. the responses to Popper--what is involved in an event's being a "counterexample" to a scientific theory. If God came down from heaven and convinced you personally that Jesus was resurrected, why would you feel compelled to give up any biological theory?

4/14/2016 10:33 pm  #22

Timotheos wrote:

I also found his complaints about Craig not having enough evidence by his weak theism arguments to support a claim to either belief or knowledge to be quite strange; I can somewhat see where he's going with the knowledge bit, at least if you think knowledge implies some sort of certainty, but then he seems to equate beliefs with this, which I think need not boast to any pretentions of certainty. And while he equates them in some places, I seems to remember it being crucial to his arguments somewhere that they keep these notions distinct; but I might just be remembering wrong.

Not that Craig couldn't have some wiggle room here even using his weak arguments to ground knowledge; while it may be true that each individual argument is at a somewhat dubious 51% likelihood of being correct, the precentage that at least one of the six 51% arguments being correct, taken as a cumulative case, has a likelihood of 98.6%*** (i.e. 1- the likelihood that all of the arguments are bad, which is 1 - 0.49^6), which fits his opponent's criteria for knowledge.

*** assuming of course that each of the arguments are independent of each other; each of his arguments that were mentioned I think could be formulated such that they don't share any premises, or at least very few, so I take it that my calculation is a good estimate.

Okay, good. This is a great point. 'Strange' is a common adjective for the weakness objection. I'm not sure why.

Either way, let's look at the issue. We have very strong reasons to think that people have beliefs and that people have confidence levels. Confidence levels are also called 'degrees of belief', 'credences', and 'subjective probabilities'. (I know you know this, but I'm saying it for everyone else.) The question is: what's the relation between belief and confidence? We have good reason to think that belief isn't just >50% confidence. Example: pick a ball from a bin with 500,000,001 white balls and 499,999,999 black balls. Do you believe that the ball will be white? No. It's more likely than not, but no one would seriously assert 'the ball picked will be white'. No one who did the math would seriously say 'I knew it!' if the ball picked turned out to be white.

It's natural to suggest that there's some threshold confidence level above which one believes and below which one does not believe. I think this is probably right as long as the threshold is context-dependent. (Note: that doesn't mean it's subjective.) So, where's the threshold? 60%? 80% (my example in the presentation)? 100%?

Here's an argument that it is greater than 60%. If I roll a six sided die, there's about 17% probability it turns up any particular one of the six numbers (1-6). So there's about a 33% probability that it will turn up a 1 or a 2. And that it will turn up a 3 or a 4. And that it will turn up a 5 or a 6. But that means there's a 67% probability it won't turn up a 1 or a 2. And that it won't turn up a 3 or a 4. And that it won't turn up a 5 or a 6. So that means we should believe that it won't turn up a 1 or a 2. And we should believe that it won't turn up a 3 or a 4. And we should believe that it won't turn up a 5 or a 6. But that's absurd. Therefore, the threshold is greater than 60%.

You can use similar argument to push the threshold higher (e.g., 83% it won't be a 1). Some people think that these arguments give out somewhere in the 90%s. Some think they push it to 100%. My assumption of 80% was very charitable.

Now, on to your calculation, which I love. You're right to think hard about how distinct argument impact confidence levels. This is a complex topic, and it is under explored in contemporary formal epistemology.

What do you mean by '51% chance of being correct'? What are correct arguments? Craig says that he argues that his premises are more probable than not. So he argues that they should get >50% confidence. I don't see how Craig's standard for his premises relates to your talk of arguments being correct. As a result, I don't think that your calculation is a calculation of what one's confidence level should be, given six arguments whose premises are defended to Craig's standard (i.e., >50%). How one should make this calculation, however, is something I'm currently working on, and I'm talking about it with some friends who are formal epistemologists. The calculation needs to use Bayes' theorem, and some other results, but figuring out how the conditional probabilities are supposed to work out is not exactly easy. I'll let you know when I get firm results on this.

4/14/2016 10:35 pm  #23

Greg wrote:

It's also rather complicated to say--cf. the responses to Popper--what is involved in an event's being a "counterexample" to a scientific theory. If God came down from heaven and convinced you personally that Jesus was resurrected, why would you feel compelled to give up any biological theory?

I wouldn't give up biology, but I'd give up conservation of mass/energy. And I'd want to know a lot more about the boundary between where God intervened and the rest of the universe.

4/14/2016 10:38 pm  #24

iwpoe wrote:

I really don't like epistemology generally. What the hell am I listening to when I have to listen to Sharp talk to me about "51% confidence isn't good enough for belief" &etc? It, with all due respect to any epistemologists, sounds like horseshit when you just start presenting it as if it weren't contentious. I know enough about his language from game theory and the like in Political Science, but I have no idea why you would think it was importantly relivant to this discussion.

Craig is the one who has said it is relevant to the discussion. He's the one who has taken as his standard for a good valid argument that the premises are defended to >50% confidence. That's the basis for his entire system. I've argued that his standard for a good argument is inadequate. Does that clarify why my point is on topic?

4/14/2016 10:45 pm  #25

rjonesx wrote:

First post :-)

1. Weak Theism, Belief and Epistemology

I don't think that Dr. Scharp's position on epistemology amounts to a meaningful critique of Craig's apologetic, even if we take at face value his numbers (which he selected for the purpose of discussion and not specifically to defend).

Let's presume weak-belief/knowledge is in the 51%-80% range and 81%+ range would be strong-belief/knowledge.

Craig's case, as he describes many times is a "cumulative case". Let's imagine a different scenario, where a person is investigating a crime scene. In the crime scene we find 5 pieces of evidence. The first is a fingerprint, but it is only a 60% partial print. The second is a hat, but it is missing 40% of it. The third is camera footage, but the right 1/3 is blurred out, revealing only 67% of the assailant's face. The fourth is a mole on the assailant's arm, but only 53% of it is viewable. And finally, the fifth is a footprint, but only 57% of it remains. Suspect A matches all of these, being seen in pictures with a hat in the past resembling the portion they found, having a footprint consistent with the portion they found, so on and so forth.

All of these, under Dr. Scharp's assessment, would be "weak beliefs" (which I think is correct), but would it not be right of us to think that 5 weak beliefs might combine in a cumulative case to fairly strong belief that Suspect A is the culprit? As long as the evidence is independent of one another, this seems intuitively right. 

I think this is because we make a big mistake when we think of the probabilities behind belief in something like the LCA. A 30% confidence in the LCA is a 30% confidence that it shows God exists, not a 70% confidence God does not exist. To that effect, we should actually consider any confidence in the arguments to be points, so to speak, on a scoreboard which keeps the balance between reasons for God's existence and reasons against God's existence. On one side of the board we might put the Problem of Evil, or the Coherence of God. On the other side we might put the Cosmological Arguments or the Moral Arguments. It is this balance to which we ultimately apply the 50-80, 80-100 epistemic measures which Dr. Scharp proposes. I think it is perfectly reasonable to make those measurements at that juncture, but not before. 

Thus, Craig's cumulative case, even if each individual argument only supports weak theism, could combine to produce a strong-theistic belief.

Okay, good, thanks for the comment. You're absolutely right to focus on how various arguments might combine to impact confidence levels. Unfortunately, I'm not yet convinced that I have the right sort of calculation here. I've been working on it and will continue to. But it's a bit complex and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been adequately treated in the literature. I will report back when I have results (which will be this summer if we're being realistic).

4/14/2016 10:51 pm  #26

I understand that a few of people that debate Craig go on to specifically refute his arguments (obviously, that's what they should do, so thank you.) Dr. Scharp, for the Thomist at least God conserves everything in Existence. What exactly a miracle is, is a question that is well debated within the Thomistic circle, whether a suspension of what we call 'laws' or 'intervention' or both. I think Fr. Ramlowe has written on miracles.

I thank you for coming here, but could you please expand on what you think to be the relevant scientific thesis's when we speak of the resurrection? Thanks.

4/14/2016 10:56 pm  #27

rjonesx wrote:

2. Divine Psychology Argument

This one, I think, is just bizarre. It looks something like this. Let's return to a crime scene analogy.

1. Agent X is accused of performing an particular act.
2. Evidence Y1 shows no one else could perform the act than Agent X.
3. Evidence Y2 shows that performing this act unintentionally is nearly impossible
4. Evidence Y3 shows the act did not have to happen.
5. Agent X died after the act, and there are no previous records about him
6. We don't know Agent X's psychology
7. We don't know the probability he would do it based on his psychology.
8. We can't conclude Agent X intended to perform the Act

This seems to be obviously false. Let's take, for example, the argument from Fine Tuning. Let's grant both Craig and Scharp their initial premises. Craig says that chance and necessity are ruled out, and the odds are huge (something to the magnitude of 1/10^10^100). Scharp says that we have no idea of the probability that God would want to create a universe. Does it follow then that we must drop the argument altogether? 

Of course not. Just like the example above, we don't need to know the psychology to demonstrate that it is highly plausible that the agent is responsible for the act. We might "fill in the blank" so to speak with an even probability, or we might ignore it because we don't know it, or maybe we would give a "benefit-of-the-doubt" so to speak and set it at reasonably improbable, but we wouldn't put it in as 0% and call it a day. Such a position would be an extreme skepticism that would call into doubt any argument regarding agent responsibility. If a gunman died at the scenes and didn't leave an explanation for his or her attack, would we simply have to withhold judgement as to guilt because we don't know his/her psychology? Even if we have video evidence which is nearly 100% certain?

Let's look at the divine psychology objection. Consider one of the arguments to have something concrete in mind -- the fine tuning argument for example. The conclusion is that God exists. However, for God to be the best explanation of fine tuning, it would have to be the case that God WOULD create the universe. Craig and many other Christian philosophers have admitted, in response to the problem of evil, that: (i) we don't know anything at all about God's plans, (ii) we don't know what God would do in any given circumstance, and (iii) we don't know why the world might be the way we find it even though God is omnipotent, etc. This is ultimately a ban on divine psychology. However, if we don't know anything about divine psychology, the we don't know that God would create the universe, much less that he would create it with physical constants fine tuned to support intelligent life. 

You're quite right to point out that one might come to be very confident that a certain person is guilty of a crime even if one has no idea whether that person would commit that crime. But look at the analogies for your evidence:

2. Evidence Y1 shows no one else could fine tune the universe other than God.
3. Evidence Y2 shows that fine tuning the universe unintentionally is nearly impossible
4. Evidence Y3 shows the fine tuning the universe did not have to happen.

I'll grant you 4. But where are the arguments for 2 and 3?

4/14/2016 11:03 pm  #28

Alexander wrote:

I have a few questions:
1) What is the relevant scientific theory when discussing the resurrection? I'm not sure I can think of one that doesn't beg the question in some way, but I may simply not get what you're trying to say.
2) What's the force behind your argument from general relativity? Can we not say something like "God prevented Jesus from falling beneath the water" without requiring an exception to general relativity? I don't see why, unless we make assumptions as to how God may have have brought this about (information which the Gospels do not relate).

In general, I suspect your arguments work only if God is thought of as something like a physical entity operating in the universe, bound by its limitations, rather than the transcendent cause of the whole thing. From the perspective of traditional theism, your arguments look far weaker than they would to, say, certain forms of deism.

1. Conservation of mass/energy. Conservation of momentum. CPT conservation. Others too, but that'll do.

2. No. General relativity provides equations that describe the way objects distort spacetime based on their mass. If Jesus walked on water, then the spacetime around him wasn't distorted by the mass of the Earth in the way predicted by general relativity.

I'm not assuming God is a physical entity; only that God would be a supernatural cause of certain natural events.

4/14/2016 11:11 pm  #29

Timotheos wrote:

The same-sex adoption one was the one that really struck me, since it only very remotely connects with Craig's arguments and principles; even if you are a Theist, and even if you are a Christian, even a Southern Baptist like Craig, one would still have to determine whether or not they might permit such an activity, so it only very remote part of Craig's world-view, and is a position that a non-Christian, and even a Athiest, could hold.

I don't really want to push this point too much more though, since it's a minor thing, and I would rather deal with more substantitive criticisms in this forum; I just mention it because there is a significant percentage of the especially young population, both pro and con, whose minds just shut down when they hear the words same-sex marriage, and I would rather those people keep their minds turned on for such an educative debate.

Fair enough, but I was using the same-sex adoption case as an example of what I called creeping apologetics -- where the "out of bounds" label creeps from 'God exists' (and other aspects central to Christianity) to other beliefs, like the belief that same sex couples don't have the right to adopt. Exactly as you say -- this topic isn't central to Christianity. That's my point -- apologetics spreads all over one's belief system in arbitrary ways.

I can see how you might have thought this was a cheap shot, but it was both on topic and directly relevant to some of the central objections I presented.

4/14/2016 11:22 pm  #30

Timotheos wrote:

I don't think I understand what you're getting at with the general relativity business; black holes are allowed to bend space-time, so why not God? Sure, general relativity doesn't predict such an action, but neither does it predict black holes either; it only implies details about what they would be like if we found them, and what to look for to verify their existence.

As for the conservation of energy, how does God's adding energy to a system, from outside the system at it were, violate the principle? Presumably, since we are going to have to look outside the universe to explain its origins, which is the creation of all sorts of energy, why can't we do so again at some time later on? How does this "violate" conservation laws?

I would also like to thank you for coming here and adressing some of our concerns; it's truly a pleasure to have you.

Thanks, it's great to do this. I sort of live and breath this stuff right now, so it's nice to have an outlet.

General relativity predicts that the gravitational field around the Earth and all the other objects in the vicinity would be a certain way. If that prediction is right, then the spacetime around Jesus would be warped in a way that would result in him falling into the water. Yes, God could bend spacetime in some way that prevented Jesus from falling. But then spacetime wouldn't be the way predicted by general relativity. And so Jesus not falling would be incompatible with general relativity.

If God were adding mass/energy to the system, then the mass/energy after God's intervention would not be what is predicted by the conservation theory (given what the mass/energy was before the intervention). So the conservation theory would predict the wrong answer for after the intervention. So God's intervention would be incompatible with the conservation theory.

Board footera