Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 2:58 am  #1

Trump is the Republican Nominee

Ted Cruz has abandoned his post as the last limp wristed bulwark against Trump:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ted-cruz-drops-out-2016-campaign-obituary/

I did not think it possible for Ted Cruz to win against Hillary, but I do not announce Trump's victory with great excitement, since I do not know if it is possible for him to win either. The man must simultaneously concoct a grand rhetorical pivot into the general election, since he cannot remain so divisive and secure the White House, but neither can he smooth out all his edge, since it's exactly what he has going for him (especially against Hillary).

I at least look forward to the next 6 months or so as supreme entertainment.

Last edited by iwpoe (5/04/2016 8:05 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 10:33 am  #2

Re: Trump is the Republican Nominee

I thought Cruz would do better against Hillary, but I suppose the Republican electorate had other plans.

I am not sure Trump will find a grand rhetorical pivot itself difficult; he achieves a rhetorical pivot often in the course of a single day.

I do wonder if the media will cease being so interested in him. On the one hand, everyone except Fox wants Hillary, and he has benefited a lot from free media. On the other, I think people are getting really tired of this election cycle, besides, perhaps, Trump's supporters. It's not worth stirring up outrage after he says some outrageous thing, anymore. We have learned that it won't affect him like it will affect other candidates.

5/04/2016 12:37 pm  #3

I know that everybody proclaims that Trump stands no chance in the general, but I am kind of skeptical of this; Hillary seems to be the sort of person who will have lots of trouble trying to counter Trump's blunt claims that she's corrupt.

I mean, I'm sure you could just round up all of her speeches to corporations, take the most outrageous claims she makes in them about the stupidity of the American plebeian, blow them out of proportion in Trump's signature style, and take home the cake; what's Clinton got to say other than just stand there dough faced and try to deny the claims? That's just more evidence of how much of a liar she is!

5/04/2016 1:10 pm  #4

I know Trump to be a rhetorically sophisticated man. What you're seeing on stage is a show, and it is a very carefully crafted show that he is an expert at delivering. What we saw during the Republican primary was the rhetorical dismantling of 17 politicians who are entirely incapable of acting in character. The good news is is that Hillary is also rhetorically incompetent, but the bad news is that the general electorate is less sympathetic to the character Trump has been putting forward than is the Republican electorate in particular. Thus when I say he's going to need to make a rhetorical pivot, I mean that he's going to have to drastically change roles rather than revise what he's already been doing. I don't know that he has a role he can play which will permit him to gain enough sympathy in the electorate to win.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 1:28 pm  #5

iwpoe wrote:

The good news is is that Hillary is also rhetorically incompetent, ...

Is this true? She has done pretty well shrugging off the few attacks Sanders has made. Here is a Democratic electorate that despises Wall Street, here is Hillary Clinton, the candidate who has received more funding from Wall Street than any other, and here is Bernie Sanders, her opponent who basically does nothing but denounce Wall Street.

Yet she pivots away from the whole speeches thing like it's nothing.

I think she is probably sharper than most of the Republican field was. It's really hard to predict how she will match up with Trump. (He is also much more likely to lose his cool in any one-on-one debate.)

5/04/2016 1:47 pm  #6

She is, yes, as is Sanders: you're looking at the High School Valedictorian versus an old man yelling at capitalism. Neither of them are personally compelling people. Trump is fully capable of being a personally compelling person. The reason that people hate Hillary Clinton has very little to do with her platform, since even many Democrats hate her and have hated her since the moment she got around the office of the presidency in the nineties.

You're thinking too much in terms of their platforms, which is both the philosophical habbit and the surface message of most politicians, so I don't blame you. But this is not why people vote for a candidate like Trump, and indeed it's only losely why most people vote for any candidate at all. Trump is a demagogue of a high order, which I have not seen make it this far in politics in my lifetime. The closest sort of character we've had to it is Reagan, but he managed a certain kind of ideological purity as well.

Last edited by iwpoe (5/04/2016 1:48 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 2:15 pm  #7

iwpoe wrote:

You're thinking too much in terms of their platforms, which is both the philosophical habbit and the surface message of most politicians, so I don't blame you. But this is not why people vote for a candidate like Trump, and indeed it's only losely why most people vote for any candidate at all. Trump is a demagogue of a high order, which I have not seen make it this far in politics in my lifetime.

I don't mean to think of it in terms of platforms; I just mean that Hillary seems to me pretty good at shrugging off charges of intellectual dishonesty. Trump lies mendaciously, swapping his positions left and right; Hillary lies like a lawyer. But they are both very good at making it work for them.

5/04/2016 2:24 pm  #8

Hilary is good at brushing things off, but she's not likeable.  Trump and Bill Clinton are both highly likeable, and they are both good liars as well.

I think Trump is a good enough rhetor that this election will be interesting and unpredictable.  It's just too bad one of these people will end up leading our nation.

5/04/2016 2:38 pm  #9

Greg wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

You're thinking too much in terms of their platforms, which is both the philosophical habbit and the surface message of most politicians, so I don't blame you. But this is not why people vote for a candidate like Trump, and indeed it's only losely why most people vote for any candidate at all. Trump is a demagogue of a high order, which I have not seen make it this far in politics in my lifetime.

I don't mean to think of it in terms of platforms; I just mean that Hillary seems to me pretty good at shrugging off charges of intellectual dishonesty. Trump lies mendaciously, swapping his positions left and right; Hillary lies like a lawyer. But they are both very good at making it work for them.

She going to shrug off 'Where'd you hide all of Bill's dresses?' or something equally personal?

When Trump stood on stage and called Jeb Bush a weak mess with that deeply cutting manner of his or when he handled all of those 'you hired illegal workers' weak sauce charges with "I'm the only one on this stage who's ever hired anybody." you can see clearly that he just obliterates these internally very weak men with ease. I don't know that she has a functional counter to that kind of approach. She's no Thatcher.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 3:27 pm  #10

I've been skeptical of Trump's ability to win in the general until recently, but there are a few things that give me hope:

1. Hillary inspires nobody on the left.
2. Republican turnout at caucuses and primaries has been enormous.
3. Trump is stealing white working class Dem voters in troves.
4. Trump polls better with blacks than any other Republican in recent memory.

3 is the key, I think. Every Dem Trump steals counts twice as it takes a vote from the other side and adds it to his own, whereas all of the Bernie supporters who stay home or write their guy in instead of voting Hillary are merely "not voting."

I'm not sure what to make of claims from Republicans who say they will never vote for Trump. I have to think their hatred for Hillary will win out once election day comes.

"Rule 110: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience."
--from Master George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation

Board footera