Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 3:31 pm  #11

Re: Trump is the Republican Nominee

iwpoe wrote:

Greg wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

You're thinking too much in terms of their platforms, which is both the philosophical habbit and the surface message of most politicians, so I don't blame you. But this is not why people vote for a candidate like Trump, and indeed it's only losely why most people vote for any candidate at all. Trump is a demagogue of a high order, which I have not seen make it this far in politics in my lifetime.

I don't mean to think of it in terms of platforms; I just mean that Hillary seems to me pretty good at shrugging off charges of intellectual dishonesty. Trump lies mendaciously, swapping his positions left and right; Hillary lies like a lawyer. But they are both very good at making it work for them.

She going to shrug off 'Where'd you hide all of Bill's dresses?' or something equally personal?

I suspect she will just say, "That's below answering," or cast herself as a victim. In a one-on-one debate (with moderators almost always on her side), it will be pretty easy for someone like Clinton to make Trump look like a cruel bastard who isn't focusing on the issues because he can't. She is pretty quick on her feet.

(Actually, for that matter, it's likely he'll float whatever charges beforehand over Twitter, causing his usual media firestorm, so she'll have time to prepare a dignified response. Then a moderator will, inevitably, ask her what she thinks of it, and she will have seen it coming from a mile off.)

5/04/2016 3:35 pm  #12

Brian wrote:

Hilary is good at brushing things off, but she's not likeable. Trump and Bill Clinton are both highly likeable, and they are both good liars as well.

This perception is not uncommon. It's true that Clinton is not likable. But Trump is magnitudes worse. And both of them are incredibly well known by this point.

Likability is against Trump. He will, however, turn out some people who don't usually vote. There are both Republican and Democrat defections; it's hard to say which will be greater.

5/04/2016 3:38 pm  #13

Greg wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

Greg wrote:

I don't mean to think of it in terms of platforms; I just mean that Hillary seems to me pretty good at shrugging off charges of intellectual dishonesty. Trump lies mendaciously, swapping his positions left and right; Hillary lies like a lawyer. But they are both very good at making it work for them.

She going to shrug off 'Where'd you hide all of Bill's dresses?' or something equally personal?

I suspect she will just say, "That's below answering," or cast herself as a victim. In a one-on-one debate (with moderators almost always on her side), it will be pretty easy for someone like Clinton to make Trump look like a cruel bastard who isn't focusing on the issues because he can't. She is pretty quick on her feet.

(Actually, for that matter, it's likely he'll float whatever charges beforehand over Twitter, causing his usual media firestorm, so she'll have time to prepare a dignified response. Then a moderator will, inevitably, ask her what she thinks of it, and she will have seen it coming from a mile off.)

He *is* a cruel bastard. That's half his appeal. Victims get help, but leadership? Being victims helped not one of his Republican opponents.

What's she going to fall back on? Feminine vulnerability? After she's avoided that for 18 years?

And "the issues"? You mean the song and dance that tumbles incoherently out of candidates' mouths every 4 years? Trump cares about the issues as much as she does, he just doesn't pretend otherwise.

Last edited by iwpoe (5/04/2016 3:46 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 3:45 pm  #14

Greg wrote:

Brian wrote:

Hilary is good at brushing things off, but she's not likeable. Trump and Bill Clinton are both highly likeable, and they are both good liars as well.

This perception is not uncommon. It's true that Clinton is not likable. But Trump is magnitudes worse. And both of them are incredibly well known by this point.

Likability is against Trump. He will, however, turn out some people who don't usually vote. There are both Republican and Democrat defections; it's hard to say which will be greater.

Trump doesnt need likeability.   He has people's envy, and respect (as ridiculous as that is) because he says whatever he wants, or at least his character does.  Clinton still needs likeability.  Most people don't want to "have a beer" with Trump or Hilary, but I think that hurts Hilary, because Trump doesn't pretend to be the guy next door you can grab a beer with.

5/04/2016 3:56 pm  #15

iwpoe wrote:

Greg wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

He *is* a cruel bastard. That's half his appeal. Victims get help, but leadership? Being victims helped not one of his Republican opponents.

What's she going to fall back on? Feminine vulnerability? After she's avoided that for 18 years?

And "the issues"? You mean the song and dance that tumbles incoherently out of candidates' mouths every 4 years? Trump cares about the issues as much as she does, he just doesn't pretend otherwise.

It just seems hugely unlikely to me that Hillary Clinton is going to be caught off guard by such a predictable attack (which Trump has tried already, honestly). People just don't care that much about Hillary's hypocrisy on sexual assault, unless they're fringe SJWs. And it's easy enough for the bumbling and meek Jeb to crumble under Trump's force, but Clinton won't crumble like that. She won't get caught up in petty squabbles like Rubio on the one hand because she has a bit more control and on the other because the moderators will help her out.

I guess we'll see if Trump can pull off a Clinton character assassination. I just don't see any reason why it should work on a politician like her with a wider electorate.

5/04/2016 4:20 pm  #16

Well, I agree that the particular line I tossed out might not work. The point is more that she seems incapable of being personally inspiring. I do not know how he will leverage that difference in particular. But I think that that's his great strength.

Last edited by iwpoe (5/04/2016 4:22 pm)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 7:46 pm  #17

Looks like Kasich has pulled out as well, so before Chris Kirk Speaks speaks, it looks like Kasich's not going to save us from the Trump Tyranny.

Unfortunately, I still would prefer such a state to a Clinton Cleptocracy; let's pray that by a miracle the wolves decide to devour Clinton over the e-mail scandal, leaving open the possibility that a third party run might be viable.

5/04/2016 9:00 pm  #18

I don't think anyone that matters is going to be lost to emails any more than they were to Benghazi. It would have to come out that she was committing treason or illegal bribery or some kind of gross cover-up.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

5/04/2016 10:54 pm  #19

iwpoe wrote:

I don't think anyone that matters is going to be lost to emails any more than they were to Benghazi. It would have to come out that she was committing treason or illegal bribery or some kind of gross cover-up.

Honestly, since they didn't throw Bill out over the old lying under oath thing, I doubt as well that they are going to do so on this sort of "triviality" either.

Not that it would be consistent with fairness and the rule of law; Petraeus was sentenced to two years probation over mishandling classified information, and despite what Clinton has claimed, it seems pretty clear now that some of the e-mails were in fact marked as classified. At the very least, for her to claim that she wasn't knowingly playing fast-and-loose with her emails and at least potentially classified information betrays a belief in the rank credulity of the American populace that they would buy that Clinton is operating at a worse than W Bush aww-gee shucks level.

And former head of the CIA General Petraeus himself wasn't exactly small-fries; at one point, he was considered a likely strong contender for the 2016 DNC presidential nomination.

Still, Clinton is a useful weasel, and Petraeus had the old affair thing also working against him; if she looses the general though, I'm not sure if the vultures might not "find new evidence" and make their attack.

Last edited by Timotheos (5/04/2016 10:57 pm)

5/04/2016 11:01 pm  #20

Petraeus was, I suspect, lost on a much higher level than that to which we have access. I take it that people who command high levels of media attention and profile are favored at an elite level (the Clintons) and those who have secondary media attention like Petraeus are not in command in the way they need to protect themselves. Only in those situations to things like scandals and affairs really matter- since the person in the secondary position is a threat to the people in the prime position and those things can be mustered as an excuse. The Clintons likely have too many aliances to fall victim to something like leaked classified emails.

Also, even without all the cloak and dagger, Petraeus is directly military while Clinton is ultimately civilian. Petraeus' classified info failure is more important to the kind of person he is- like an accountant who is sloppy with the money.

Last edited by iwpoe (5/04/2016 11:04 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera