Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2015 12:00 pm  #1

Russian Reaction to Facebook's Virtual Gay Pride Parade

Russian civil society and mainline political parties have formulated a social media response to Gay Pride symbolism with their own -in unity with French family and marriage defenders- to promote family values and defend the integrity of the family.

The Russian hashtag line reads: "real family" and the flag is clearly based on the French equivalent, made famous by the enormous pro-family, anti-"gay marriage" protests (one of the largest in modern Western history) in Paris about a year ago:

The primary difference is that the Russian family flag has three children, which those responsible for its production said was quite deliberate.

Full story is available here:

http://rt.com/politics/272416-russia-straight-flag-family/

Some pictures of the French protest referred to above:

French state television claimed that "thousands" took part in the protest; British state television was a bit more honest, saying that "tens of thousands" took part. But sometimes a picture is worth a million protesters:

Last edited by Timocrates (7/09/2015 12:32 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/09/2015 12:48 pm  #2

Re: Russian Reaction to Facebook's Virtual Gay Pride Parade

Bravo to them!

At least in Israel marriage remains purely ecclesiastical.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/09/2015 12:51 pm  #3

Etzelnik wrote:

Bravo to them!

That's interesting. I am assuming that the State doesn't take no cognizance of marriage but in that scheme takes its cue, so to speak, from civil and religious society? How does that work?

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

7/09/2015 1:02 pm  #4

Timocrates wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

Bravo to them!

That's interesting. I am assuming that the State doesn't take no cognizance of marriage but in that scheme takes its cue, so to speak, from civil and religious society? How does that work?

Basically, the State recognizes "marriage" as a religious function. There's the Chief Rabbinate, which is an actual government department, and then there are State recognized authorities for Christianity, Islam, and a bunch of other religions.

There is something called "civil union" or something like that which is basically tax breaks for atheist couples. However, if either of the two partners are Jewish by the matrilineal line I don't think the government recognizes the civil union.

However, marriages done abroad are recognized, so a lot of the forbidden couples go abroad to get officially married and then come back to continue plaguing our society.

7/09/2015 1:33 pm  #5

Etzelnik wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

Bravo to them!

Basically, the State recognizes "marriage" as a religious function. There's the Chief Rabbinate, which is an actual government department, and then there are State recognized authorities for Christianity, Islam, and a bunch of other religions.

There is something called "civil union" or something like that which is basically tax breaks for atheist couples. However, if either of the two partners are Jewish by the matrilineal line I don't think the government recognizes the civil union.

However, marriages done abroad are recognized, so a lot of the forbidden couples go abroad to get officially married and then come back to continue plaguing our society.

There's always a loophole, eh? lol

That system sounds very similar to how it normally was before the French revolution in Europe. English Common Law countries have an especially embarassing situation on their hands when it comes to redefining marriage but, thankfully, State authorities -presumably out of embarassment, shame or fear of popular outrage- have never applied the logical consequences of the redefinition of marriage to common law custom or practice.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/09/2015 1:34 pm)

7/09/2015 2:23 pm  #6

Timocrates wrote:

thankfully, State authorities -presumably out of embarassment, shame or fear of popular outrage- have never applied the logical consequences of the redefinition of marriage to common law custom or practice.

You mean forcing the Anglican Church to accept those unions?

We have a slight problem of that sort, in the sense that the secularists are trying to make the Rabbinate recognize Reform and Conservative "Judaism", and by extension, their conversions and marriages. But it won't happen, the demographics are on the right side.

I'm looking forward to the day that we have a full blown theocracy.

7/09/2015 6:45 pm  #7

Etzelnik wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

thankfully, State authorities -presumably out of embarassment, shame or fear of popular outrage- have never applied the logical consequences of the redefinition of marriage to common law custom or practice.

You mean forcing the Anglican Church to accept those unions?

Not quite. I meant technically in English common law if, say, a single man and a single woman cohabit for 6 months, then they are presumed married. This is, no doubt, somewhat archaic to modern thinking, as it was no doubt originally meant charitably as a "benefit of the doubt."

Etzelnik wrote:

We have a slight problem of that sort, in the sense that the secularists are trying to make the Rabbinate recognize Reform and Conservative "Judaism", and by extension, their conversions and marriages. But it won't happen, the demographics are on the right side.

Well, demographics are great until they aren't! lol ;)

Etzelnik wrote:

I'm looking forward to the day that we have a full blown theocracy.

God's rule on earth? I think at the bottom of every even remotely good-willed human being's heart, everyone in fact does (objectively speaking, of course).

Last edited by Timocrates (7/09/2015 6:46 pm)

7/10/2015 6:31 am  #8

Timocrates wrote:

God's rule on earth? I think at the bottom of every even remotely good-willed human being's heart, everyone in fact does (objectively speaking, of course).

Well, obviously that's the ideal but I'm referring to even before then: there is ground for hope that in 25 years the Torah's law will be the law of the land.

Last edited by Etzelnik (7/10/2015 6:32 am)

10/26/2015 6:26 pm  #9

Apologies if this counts as thread necromancy, though I hope that two-and-a-half-weeks isn't quite dead. I just wanted to chime in and ask what people think about Russia. I, for one, am reserved. I appreciate their conservatism and their attempt to encourage Christianity in society, but I dislike a lot of other things (their lack of political freedoms, or the widespreadness of abortion, or their much-too-harsh treatment of homosexuals). Do we have any other opinions on the matter?

10/26/2015 6:48 pm  #10

Are they that harsh to homosexuals? They aren't Iran. They don't gaol them simply for engaging in homosexual acts, as far as I know.

Board footera