Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2015 5:28 pm  #1

2016: Who would you vote for?

Although I am not an American, I have a passing interest in American politics, so I though it might be interesting to set up a poll for the 2016 candidates. I had to limit the number or the amount of candidates would stretch on towards thirty or more, so if your favourite isn't on the poll there is an other option.

Who would you vote for, for U.S. President in 2016?

7/09/2015 5:31 pm  #2

Re: 2016: Who would you vote for?

I would certainly vote for Rand Paul myself, if I could. He seems genuinely commited to localism and limiting bloated government, and just about the only Republican candidate with a sensible foreign policy in my book.

I saw an interview with Lindsey Graham, and despite the fact I despise his foreign policy, he actually came across as very likeable and otherwise sensible. I didn't put him on the list, though, as he is near the bottom of the Republican list at the moment.

7/09/2015 6:37 pm  #3

...Will anybody hurt me if I say I like Sanders on many issues?

Rubio is also good, in a different sort of way.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/09/2015 6:47 pm  #4

Where's Donald Trump!?!? lol

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/10/2015 6:37 pm  #5

Timocrates wrote:

Where's Donald Trump!?!? lol

Well, if anyone wants to vote for Donald Trump they can just cut out the middleman and tick the box for Hilary.

7/12/2015 3:44 pm  #6

I can understand some of the appeal of Sanders. He does seem to strive against corporate welfare and corruption. Of course, so does Rand Paul, though, without the social democratic leanings of Sanders.

7/12/2015 5:28 pm  #7

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I can understand some of the appeal of Sanders. He does seem to strive against corporate welfare and corruption. Of course, so does Rand Paul, though, without the social democratic leanings of Sanders.

But as I'm living in Israel, I'm not sure I want you guys to elect him.

I mean, his father.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/12/2015 5:39 pm  #8

I'm not an American either.

I think Rand Paul has a slightly different foreign policy to his father. I think the son has a more realist foreign policy rather than the doctrinaire non-interventionism of his father. He wouldn't perhaps be as generous or supportive of Israel as some of the other Republican candidates, but he would still support it, I'm sure. And he is less liabe to cause problems in the region that might rebound on Israel, going on the behaviour of the last Republican president.

7/12/2015 8:47 pm  #9

Rand Paul doesn't seem to me to be a terrible choice; but you do have to wonder if he has really successfully purged himself of his father’s over-the-top libertarian tendencies.

I’ve heard some good things about Ben Carson, but I haven’t really looked into him very much, and I don’t know if he has enough political experience or savvy to make the compromises he’ll need to be an effective leader.

As for Rick Perry, if he ever becomes President, may the Lord have mercy on our souls! Absolute disaster as Governor; Texas did well under his belated 15-year reign, despite Perry’s best efforts…

It’s a little early for my tastes to be choosing a favorite though; it’ll be interesting to see how the candidate pool develops in the coming months.

7/21/2015 11:26 am  #10

While it is a tad early to choose a candidate, I would vote for Marco Rubio because of his interventionist stance on foreign policy. I prefer that to Rand Paul's non-interventionist stance. 

I am glad that no one has, so far, voted for Hillary Clinton. She has been art of too many scandals,  leaving her untrustworthy to my eyes. I find her too corrupt.

Board footera