Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2016 6:48 pm  #41

Re: 2016: Who would you vote for?

I've decided on Cruz all the way (if anybody cares lol).

http://thefederalist.com/2016/03/09/cruz-is-now-the-only-one-who-can-beat-trump/

Last edited by Timocrates (3/10/2016 6:49 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/11/2016 10:23 am  #42

I am more or less resigned to supporting Cruz. I think Rubio did very well last night and wish he would win the nomination, since he polls well against Clinton, at least, whereas Cruz might have a bit more difficulty in the general.

But it looks like Rubio is basically done. He probably won't win Florida, and his trying to do so (even if he succeeds) could potentially do more harm than good.

3/12/2016 9:20 pm  #43

I'm not an American, but I think Cruz is the best candidate left. However, I wasn't impressed by his (or those of the other Republican candidates) cowardly and self-serving attacks on Trump for the attacks on his rallies by hard left thugs.

​Rubio would probably be more electable. I don't much care for his foreign policy though. He makes Cheney look like a dove.

3/12/2016 9:37 pm  #44

Yes, I agree, Cruz's condemnation will be used by the Democrats against him at some point. He is right to say that Trump-style leadership is an irresponsible kind of it; however, he needs to be more careful. It is effectively grounds for an argument that liberty needs to be heavily policed because people can't be trusted with power or independence, which undoes Cruz's whole political philosophy. The Left always does a good job sanctioning and legalizing their own forms of criminality and depravity. I mean in plain: blaming a pseudo-Republican for the actions of people who acted because of their left-wing indoctrination is wrong. He should have used it as grounds to attack the Democrats.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

3/15/2016 8:32 pm  #45

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I'm not an American, but I think Cruz is the best candidate left. However, I wasn't impressed by his (or those of the other Republican candidates) cowardly and self-serving attacks on Trump for the attacks on his rallies by hard left thugs.

You'll find no sympathy for the protesting left from me. (Well, maybe not no sympathy.) Trump has a right to speak even if he is terrible, they wouldn't like it if the glove were on the other hand, etc.

Also, their appeals to righteousness notwithstanding, the protests are tactically stupid. Probably Trump wanted protests. Clearly protests help Trump. They inflame his own supporters and make it seem like political correctness threatens ordinary folks more than it does. It also legitimates Trump as an opponent to political correctness by eliding the distinction, as Trump has, between political incorrectness (which is, I think, fine) and indecency (which is not fine).

But I don't think Trump is innocent in this. He regularly and casually suggests violence at his protests. He hasn't made a big deal speaking out about it in the past, even though it has occurred, so are people really unreasonable to think he's not kidding?

Trump's a right-wing identity politician. He does the same thing that the left does: provoke an attack and then play the victim. Usually the left is very good about aggregating large numbers and protesting non-violently, so that it looks innocent compared to the lone counterattack. But Trump is a better spin master.

In other news, farewell Rubio. All in on Cruz now. Hopefully he will start to consolidate the non-Trump vote which is, pace Trump, the real majority.

3/16/2016 4:06 pm  #46

@ Greg,

Exactly, and the media and Democratic spins and lies that Trump has some sort of majority only makes it all the more sickening. What is the majority - overwhelmingly - is the anti-establishment vote in the Republican party (Trump + Cruz). That's true enough. There's also a strong isolationist or at least anti-intervention tone that further unites Trump and Cruz voters. There's also a strong economic change and reform undertone. But there's no doubt they are also united by anti-establishment sentiment; a change to the status quo and a refresh in GOP leadership. That's actually a good deal of unity in Republican voters, which is why, I think, so many establishment Republicans are so alarmed. Cruz's and Trump's delegates could easily become wildcards.

That being said, at the same time, not only the majority of votes but also of delegates are firmly in the anti-Trump camp, notwithstanding the fact Trump has lured in lots of independents, new voters and possibly otherwise more left-wing voters. The anti-trump camp still has more delegates than Trump.

Trump said the Republican party needs to unite behind him. That's true because he didn't win as big as he needed to especially moving forward. He needs 50%+. He came close to that in Fla. (46%) but nowhere near close enough anywhere else (less than or around 40%). All the other votes were effectively anti-Trump. Still, I think New York and Cali might well go strongly Trump but I have a feeling nowhere else will.

At this rate and especially with Rubio out and with Kasich there to pick up and rally more moderate voters, I believe you're going to see Trump halted below the 40% popular vote count and at best evenly split for remaining delegates. This might in turn lead into a huge free agent delegate convention - which really would be a radically anti-establishment and democratic action, something the candidates and the establishment would be terrified of. But it just might produce a surprise candidate who can really unite the right, especially because at the convention beating Hillary and the fear of a Hillary victory will be so apparent. Perhaps even that ideal candidate I described above.

That's might hope at least. I am hoping that the Convention goes free agent, as it were and the delegates find a true candidate who can unify the right, inspire Americans and trump Clinton. A wildcard convention, I think, would actually be extremely good for both American democracy generally but also the Republican party's reputation as such. It would not appear so brokered, bargained and controlled. It would show that American votes translate into and mean something, even dramatic change.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/16/2016 4:50 pm)

3/16/2016 4:15 pm  #47

In conclusion, I sincerely think Republicans and even Trump supporters really should, as it were, just keep voting their hearts, their hopes and their frustrations out. Republican candidates and their campaigns should stay away from negative attack ads and concentrate on consolidating, galvinizing and attracting voters.

Let the Dems proudly coronate an obvious establishment insider at their convention while spewing dismissive, elitist, alarmist venom at the Republican party and candidates.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/16/2016 4:52 pm)

3/16/2016 7:06 pm  #48

What pains me is that Clinton is so beatable, and we are poised to nominate the one candidate who would have so much difficulty beating her, who would have to explain to a debate audience why he donated to her and praised her as the best Secretary of State ever.

Then there are his other faults. But the futility of it is there.

3/16/2016 8:10 pm  #49

Who was going to be your candidate against her? That's the problem. In the present climate if you'd have put either of the two leading dumpy little boy alternatives available up against her, they would have been trounced unless she managed to loose the election for herself on the back of some scandal more interesting than emails. Trump may disqualify himself with the electorate if he cant shift something, but she's going to have to play a rhetorical game with Trump she doesn't know how to play. She's no Margaret Thatcher. She has no ability with direct personal confrontation. She only knows how to deliver the same class valedictorian speech she's been giving for 50 years. It's not even an inspirating version of that like Obama had. She's a background leader who wants to be spokesman. She can't do it.

Also, you're thinking too much like a Republican. She's in the same boat he's in: Why have you been friends with him? Why did he fund you? That's not a one-way issue.

Last edited by iwpoe (3/16/2016 8:20 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/16/2016 9:32 pm  #50

iwpoe wrote:

Who was going to be your candidate against her?

Literally anyone else. Each of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich does well against Hillary in most run-offs and does not have nearly as dismal favorability among general electorate. Trump gets destroyed in the runoffs by substantial (and growing) margins and is viewed with unprecedented negativity by the general electorate. Runoffs are of limited accuracy at this stage, of course, but they aren't useless, and they consistently show Trump losing against Hillary, hard.

Hillary is a very unpopular candidate among the general electorate, as well as among some Democrats. That is why I say she's "so beatable." But Trump manages to be a worse general election candidate.

Sanders will lose the nomination because he can't get votes from minorities against Clinton. But he fares much better against all of the Republicans because he is not as unacceptable to a general election.

Cruz is an unpopular candidate too, and his numbers look more like Clinton's, which means they're better than Trump. Rubio was certainly a better general election candidate than Cruz, but Cruz looks considerably better than Trump.

One could argue that more people will turnout for Trump. That may be true, but it would take a lot to counteract those terrible numbers. But there are other factors: sure, Hillary doesn't excite Democrats, but not-Trump would excite them, so he is likely to turn out Democrats against him.

Also he risks splitting the party and destroying conservatives down-ballot. I suspect a lot of conservatives will not turn out for Trump. I would vote for a third party in Trump vs. Hillary. Others would stay home, hurting conservatives down-ballot.

I think Trump loses general election unless Hillary gets indicted or there is a terrorist attack the day before the polls open.

iwpoe wrote:

Also, you're thinking too much like a Republican. She's in the same boat he's in: Why have you been friends with him? Why did he fund you? That's not a one-way issue.

I don't think this is as much of an issue for her. Her views change with the Democrats'. His views have mostly turned 180 degrees. It's easy for her: Trump has at various times been pro-choice, soft on immigration, pro-national healthcare, etc.

The one issue that could be a little difficult for her is cronyism. People don't like corporations financing politicians. At some of the debates, Trump has been charged for trying to get political favors. (It's actually a funny exchange. Cruz postures that he is generously allowing that Trump isn't aiming at political favors, so Trump must have been in ideological sympathy with all of the liberals he has supported. But Trump says, No, no, it was for political favors.) For some reason his supporters like that he is not bought and paid for even though he buys and pays for.

But I really doubt that will hurt Clinton. She has gotten out of taking much flak for her Goldman Sachs speeches, and this is much smaller in magnitude.

Board footera