Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2016 12:16 am  #21

Re: What is marriage? Is the Pope errant?

Greg wrote:

Likewise, I don't think it is any objection to the Roman Catholic position on papal infallibility that they don't think that everything a pope says is infallible. "The doctrine of papal infallibility" is a name of a doctrine, not an isolated and exhaustive description of the Catholic position on the matter.

I should have mentioned this earlier - the problem with the doctrine of infallibility is that it goes hand in hand with the doctrine of papal primacy. I should have seen this when you retreated to infallibility about "statements".

When you take papal primacy and infallibility together, you should see why every non-Catholic has a problem with this. I have stated the problems. Since you are not making any attempt to defend it from the scriptures, I take it that we are in agreement that it's unscriptural.

Greg wrote:

Munificentissimus Deus was not promulgated simultaneously with a council but is one of the uncontroverted cases of a pope speaking ex cathedra.

Uncontroverted? Wikipedia says, "Following the example of Pope Pius IX, who canvassed Catholic bishops before proclaiming the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, Pius XII asked all bishops for their opinion." How is this different from a council?

And the Marian dogmas are the prime example of a bad fruit of papal proclamations and of Catholic Church itself in recent times. Bad because scripturally indefensible.

Greg wrote:

Perhaps the Vatican I fathers thought the doctrine was true and would clarify the extent to which Catholics should assent to certain teachings. That is a less uncharitable ascription of motive, so by the principle of charity we should aspire to understand the teaching in light of it.

I'm sure you would be as charitable about the Council of Trent too - they only dealt with truth, nothing to do with counter-Reformation. However, in Christian terms, truth is that which is scriptural. Where is papal infallibility in the scriptures? People think all sorts of things true, the question is how defensible it is.

And motives are seen in the historical and political context. You evidently refuse to see historical and political context to the behavior of Catholic Church. There's possibly a dogma about it.

Greg wrote:

You might, of course, think the Marian dogmas unimportant, but your views aren't at issue.

You're right. In the same way, I don't care about the pope's views or the dogmas of Catholic Church. Their views become a problem when they claim to be speaking for Christianity. There the scripture would be the measure, but they have elected dogmas to have no measure but themselves.

6/30/2016 1:38 am  #22

seigneur wrote:

However, in Christian terms, truth is that which is scriptural.

​I think that this a Protestant position. It would be rejected by Orthodox, Catholics, and some Anglicans. At the very least, many Christians would question whether all Christian doctrines are explicitly set out in the Scripture.]

There the scripture would be the measure, but they have elected dogmas to have no measure but themselves.​

This view of the Bible as the Christian Koran is certainly held by many Protestants, but I don't think it is held by the Orthodox or Catholics or some Protestants. All these Christians have the greatest reverence for the Scriptures, but I don't think it is quite correct from their perspective to see the Scripture as the centre of their faith as it seems to be for many Protestants. They might note that it is Christ who is the Christian revelation, not the Scripture.

6/30/2016 5:23 am  #23

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

seigneur wrote:

​I think that this a Protestant position. It would be rejected by Orthodox, Catholics, and some Anglicans. At the very least, many Christians would question whether all Christian doctrines are explicitly set out in the Scripture.

At the very least, many Christians, including some Catholics, reject the idea of papal infallibility. How are we to settle this, if not by scripture? Are there other sources of truth Christians can agree on? What are those other sources?

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

They might note that it is Christ who is the Christian revelation, not the Scripture.

Christ as revealed somewhere else than in the Bible? If you don't mean the biblical Christ, then how are you sure you mean Christ at all?

6/30/2016 1:37 pm  #24

seigneur wrote:

I should have mentioned this earlier - the problem with the doctrine of infallibility is that it goes hand in hand with the doctrine of papal primacy. I should have seen this when you retreated to infallibility about "statements".

To characterize the defense of infallibility of a certain class of papal statements as a "retreat" is hugely uncharitable, since the doctrine is about statements, not about persons.

Papal primacy and papal infallibility are related, but they are also distinct. You could have a form of papal primacy without any doctrine of papal infallbility. And if papal primacy merely meant papal infallibility, then it would be more restricted of a doctrine than it is.

seigneur wrote:

Since you are not making any attempt to defend it from the scriptures, I take it that we are in agreement that it's unscriptural.

Well, your supposition is incorrect and that is not agreed. I haven't been proof-texting, since that doesn't strike me as terribly productive and I suppose you know the main Catholic scriptural arguments for papal primacy; Peter is the rock on whom Christ has built his Church, and who has been given the authority to bind and loose in heaven.

(On the other hand, I have given arguments that are in a sense scriptural, that the authority of scripture is inseparable from the authority of tradition and of the apostolic succession.)

seigneur wrote:

Uncontroverted? Wikipedia says, "Following the example of Pope Pius IX, who canvassed Catholic bishops before proclaiming the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, Pius XII asked all bishops for their opinion." How is this different from a council?

By "uncontroverted" I mean that the dogma of the Assumption is universally acknowledged to be a case where a pope intended to define infallibly a dogma. To say it's uncontroverted is not to say that everyone agrees it's correct, just that everyone agrees it was supposed to be an application of the Vatican I doctrine. If that isn't what was bothering you with the word "uncontroverted" then I am not sure what could have been.

Surveying the opinions of bishops is not a council. I am not sure what else there is to say here; they are just two distinct things, in the way way that surveying the opinions of every congressman is not a session of Congress.

Perhaps what is thought to be a problem is that surveying the opinions of bishops (or holding a council) seem like pretty mundane things, while the proclamation of an infallible dogma seems to be something "supernatural," like it is expected that a pope who does such a thing should have a vision or something else exciting. But that is wrong; the doctrine of papal infallibility does not say that the pope has a magic power of discovering the truth of certain doctrines, or that he has a strange kind of insight that no one else has, or even that he has to be 100% confident himself in the doctrine he is defining. It is just the assurance that Christ has arranged for his Church to teach certain things, even if things don't look impeccable at the level of individual humans.

seigneur wrote:

I'm sure you would be as charitable about the Council of Trent too - they only dealt with truth, nothing to do with counter-Reformation.

Yes, I think the principle of charity should be applied generally. (For instance, I think Catholics assessing Lutheranism should look at Luther's whole life and corpus, and not just at his supposed scrupulosity and mental illness, which some authors emphasize. And Catholic scholars of the Protestant Reformation shouldn't suppose a priori that Protestantism had no motives besides those of the princes who forced it on their realms, even if that occasionally happened. Attributing bad motives to everyone you disagree with is just a way of protecting your prejudices.)

I don't think political context is unimportant. Obviously the Counter-Reformation was the occasion of Trent, as challenges to papal primacy were the occasion of Vatican I's definition of papal infallibility. So what? That there was a reason to define doctrines at that time does not mean the doctrines are false or untenable or Frankfurtian bullshit or badly motivated.

seigneur wrote:

You're right. In the same way, I don't care about the pope's views or the dogmas of Catholic Church. Their views become a problem when they claim to be speaking for Christianity. There the scripture would be the measure, but they have elected dogmas to have no measure but themselves.

But you're changing the topic now. The question was whether the definition of papal infallibility was unnecessary. To establish that without begging the question, it would be necessary to claim that the dogmas Vatican I has been invoked to define were unimportant; if they aren't, as Catholics hold, then the definition of papal infallibility has not been shown to be unnecessary.

6/30/2016 6:46 pm  #25

seigneur wrote:

At the very least, many Christians, including some Catholics, reject the idea of papal infallibility. How are we to settle this, if not by scripture? Are there other sources of truth Christians can agree on? What are those other sources?

​I'm not a Catholic. I'm not sure I'm a Christian, but I lean Orthodox. I'm not sure it is correct to frame things in terms of Christians agreeing, rather than what is correct or what seems most correct. Anyway, the other sources are the Fathers, including the Apostolic Fathers; the Councils of the Church; Church tradition; and historical witnesses to the early Church. 

Christ as revealed somewhere else than in the Bible? If you don't mean the biblical Christ, then how are you sure you mean Christ at all?

Because there are other sources to early Christian belief. Why would you think the Scripture is the only source of these beliefs?

7/03/2016 3:49 am  #26

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I'm not sure it is correct to frame things in terms of Christians agreeing, rather than what is correct or what seems most correct.

You're right. More accurately - what is/seems correct in Christian terms. What remains to be settled is not how Christians could agree on a particular issue, but what's the Christian source of knowledge that settles things, preferably each and every thing. That source doesn't seem to be the pope, this much is pretty clear.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Anyway, the other sources are the Fathers, including the Apostolic Fathers; the Councils of the Church; Church tradition; and historical witnesses to the early Church. 

Ever since Protestantism got started, the authoritativeness of these sources has been determined by historical proximity to the apostles on the one hand and doctrinal proximity to the scripture on the other. This is what Protestants understand by apostolic succession and apostolic authority. For the Catholic Church, unfortunately, apostolic succession is Roman papacy legendarily founded by apostle Peter, making Roman church the authority above other sources of knowledge.

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Because there are other sources to early Christian belief. Why would you think the Scripture is the only source of these beliefs?

Meaning the scripture is not sufficient? There's more to know about Christ than scriptures say? How does one arrive at this belief?

7/03/2016 12:17 pm  #27

Alexander wrote:

seigneur wrote:

What remains to be settled is not how Christians could agree on a particular issue, but what's the Christian source of knowledge that settles things, preferably each and every thing. That source doesn't seem to be the pope, this much is pretty clear.

Well, how about "the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth"? That sums up the locus of authority for most Catholics.

Why do you say this by quoting scripture? Maybe because scripture has authority?

But the fuller quote is, "But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth." Here, the pillar and ground of the truth is the house of God, specifically the church that Paul was writing to, which was not Rome.

There are two usages of the word church in NT. First, as the metaphorical bride of Christ (as in Revelation). Second, any particular congregation. Neither can appropriate truth from Christ and God, only reflect it. And how do we know if they reflect it? By scripture.

You quote the verse as if this quote, apparently equating truth with the church, were the only equation of truth found in scripture. It of course isn't. Truth is equated to Christ in e.g. John 14:6 and we are to worship God in spirit and truth in John 4:24. By what reasoning would a church or even the Church matter more?

Alexander wrote:

Relating to our earlier discussion, one function of the Pope is to provide an authority within the Church to be a "final word" when necessary - like Len Goodman in Strictly Come Dancing, he gets the "tie-breaking vote". That certainly seems to be the role indicated by the well known paraphrasing of Augustine: "Rome has spoken, the matter is finished". As is made clear by the earlier linked documents from Vatican I, the Pope has quite a bit of authority even ignoring papal infallibility, and this is one example - the Holy See is "where the buck stops".

This would apply if the tie-breaking is necessary. Historically, it was not always necessary, and it was occasionally so badly abused by Rome that it was hotly contested. And at times Rome was incapable of exercising any meaningful authority, when there parallel popes and antipopes for example.

In the first Christian millennium, the pope's position was at best described as "primus inter pares" and even that caused trouble. What was the reason to hanker for better titles? Any scriptural reason? Any other good reason?

Alexander wrote:

Luther claimed to set up scripture against Popes and councils, but in fact he could only set up his interpretation of scripture against that of the Pope and councils.

As opposed to the pope and councils who set up what against Luther? Scripture or their interpretation of scripture?

In fact, Luther set up against popes their abject denial of scripture, insofar as the indulgences debacle was concerned. The matter was so clear that most of the religious community fell away from the pope, except in Italy, and only with war and political manipulation did the pope win the southern half of Europe back.

Alexander wrote:

Also worth noting: the Catholic understanding of apostolic succession includes, but is far from exclusive to, "the Roman papacy" (as opposed to some other papacy?). Again, you only show your own ignorance of the teachings at issue by claiming such an equivalence.

I freely admit my ignorance of many details of Roman doctrines. It's because in my research of those doctrines I have found them to be unscriptural and illogical in such broad strokes that there's no necessity to go into details.

Alexander wrote:

Regardless, Catholics are famous for (1) the denial of sola scriptura, and (2) the belief that the Church was founded by Christ who promised guidance by the Holy Spirit in its teaching (which, if you demand Scriptural backup, is found pretty explicitly in passages like John 16:12-13, among others) so it is amusing that you bother to ask "how could anyone believe in a religious authority other than scripture?" in a debate about Catholicism.

I fully accept scriptural backup. It's a notable feature in the Bible that it never speaks about Catholicism. And never about the church as a mind-controlling Borg to whom to submit without question. Instead, it speaks about churches as congregations where every believer must carefully discern the spirits both in the outside world and internally. Any comment to this?

7/04/2016 5:25 am  #28

seigneur wrote:

Meaning the scripture is not sufficient? There's more to know about Christ than scriptures say? How does one arrive at this belief?

I think it would be best to ask why you would think it is? I can see how it would seem obviously so in Islam but not in Christianity.

My understanding is there are various viewss on whether the Scriptures implicitly contains all  needed for belief, Church government, and the like. But I don't see why the Scripture should be considered to explicitly hold all; that is, why all that cannot be explicitly taken from the Scripture is to be rejected, even if very well supported by the sources mentioned.

7/04/2016 11:18 pm  #29

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

seigneur wrote:

​I think that this a Protestant position. It would be rejected by Orthodox, Catholics, and some Anglicans. At the very least, many Christians would question whether all Christian doctrines are explicitly set out in the Scripture.

There the scripture would be the measure, but they have elected dogmas to have no measure but themselves.​

This view of the Bible as the Christian Koran is certainly held by many Protestants, but I don't think it is held by the Orthodox or Catholics or some Protestants. All these Christians have the greatest reverence for the Scriptures, but I don't think it is quite correct from their perspective to see the Scripture as the centre of their faith as it seems to be for many Protestants. They might note that it is Christ who is the Christian revelation, not the Scripture.

Honestly, even many non-Anglican protestants are at least ambivalent about "sola scriptura". Lutherans will often go for it when it suits them, but typically they see the rule of faith as at least having a strong probable weight; they often appeal to it, for instance, when the issue of infant baptism comes up. Similar things might be said for Methodists; Wesley himself was a high church Anglican, and quotes that famous rule of St. Vincent favorably. 

7/04/2016 11:49 pm  #30

I grew up against a markedly low-church South-Eastern US non-denominational protestantism, which was hesitant to admit of even a systematic interpretive approach to the bible, lest one hold non-bible-based faith. Sometimes, in this crowd, biblical interpretation was little better than the stringing together of verses. I've seen Game of Thrones "theories" more respectable. So when he makes those remarks I know well what he's talking about. Anyone interested in seeing how bad that period could get intellectually should see The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Mark Noll. Actually, if your not familiar with late 20th century Evangelical Christianity it's actually really hard to understand why the New Atheists were ever interesting to anyone. Their global arguments against religion and Christianity are terrible, but to the average Evangengelical or kid growing up against that background, they certainly ring true. I mean, I knew people that believed in young earth creationism and who advocated a vapor-canopy model of the earth's atmosphere before Noah's flood.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera