Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2017 11:33 am  #41

Re: Five ways vs Eternalism/B-theory of time ..

Callum wrote:

Calhoun, i'll hopefully get to defending Hylemorphism without needing Act/Potency later (i'm interested to see if I can do it!) But a few quick comments while i'll I can. .

Sure,no worries take your time..

Callum wrote:

- FZM seems to be saying that it seems to be problematic to have an eternal set of unchanging, actual conscious experiences which nevertheless have an illusionary privileged present which still experiences a change from earlier experiences to later ones. There may be no obvious, explicit contradiction or incoherence but the eternalist has to shoulder that burden of proof as to how you can have both.

Well as I replied to him..those objections presuppose three-dimensional view of human person..and can be circumvented under Stage theory(exdurantism) ..

Callum wrote:

- Regarding the temporal/spatial parts analogy that versions of eternalism rest on to explain change and identity, there are clear absurdities with an inference regarding spatial "change". As the analogy is a strong one, it seems the temporal parts also suffer from the same absurdities. So the burden is on the B theorist to maintain a strong analogy that doesn't suffer from the absurdities or drop the analogy altogether.

Well I don't see this as too big a problem either . these consequences are at best just counter intuitive ..they don't constitute any genuine refutation of the view..as long as time can be characterised as having B-relations the analogies would go through..

Callum wrote:

-also, i should point out that Endurantist-B-theorists accept the compatibility of temporal parts being in causal relation.

Well this is weird , don't endurantists(known as three-dimentionalists) reject temporal parts in the first place? 

Hello, John West..Welcome to the thread ..I'll respond to you in the next comment..

4/08/2017 11:50 am  #42

John West wrote:

There is quite a lot here. Could I get you to summarise your main points in one post?

Sure,

My contention is that,it seems to me that under the Eternalistic/B-theoratic view of time the Act/Potency distinction just collapses as all moments of time are equally real and nothing is reduced from being potentially X to being Actually X ..in the sense that things goes out of being and come into being ...every thing that exists, exists tenselessly.. thereby undermining A-T arguments 

It seems Act/potency requires some kind of robust A-theory combined with thoroughgoing Presentism( Kind of View William Lane Caig holds)   

Now some users claim that this actually doesn't undermine A-T arguments and Act/Potency can still be sneaked into tenseless world but I don't see how

So this is what I would like to ask you ..are Five ways and Eternalism  compatible? What concept of change are  ATists trying to uphold and how is this compatible with Eternalism and under what theory of persistence ? 

Users usually try to respond to me that A-theory/Presentism is definitely true because its the only one that can account for change..and B-theory can't account for change ..I have replied to this and many arguments given for this many time ..I don't want to repeat those here again..suffice to say there is no obvious way B-theory/Eternalism is incoherent..or so hasn't been shown..

so what I am more interested in is whether arguments like Five ways are compatible with this view or not..the user "Callum" is trying to show me that they are. and he seeks to that in his later comments .. 

hope this will suffice to give you a clear picture but if you can I would be recommend following the comments from the start..

Thanks for joining us 

4/08/2017 12:03 pm  #43

Calhoun wrote:

Just like their is no objectively privileged "here" there is no Objectively privileged "Now" ..and no Act/Potency distinction is needed here...

But the only now is the objective now: all else is or would be then and not now. It is simply false to call any other time other than now, now.

Further, I'm pretty sure the now absolutely implies and even requires [necessitates] an act-potency distinction even in thought; for granting they agree that the past is not now nor is the future now, then anyone determining the now and what is or is not now must have conditional requirements that are only satisfied by their actualization (which distinguishes them from the not-now). Any past now was once actually a now and at one time had the potential to be a now but no longer has this potential; any future now has only the potential to be a now but it is not nor has it ever been been a now. The now is a preeminently actual term because it is only ever truly now when actually now: past nows have no potential to even be now and future nows have only a potential to be now: if anyone confuses this, then they will think the past is in the future or the future is already in the past or confuse the present with the past or with the future.

Last edited by Timocrates (4/08/2017 12:06 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

4/08/2017 12:31 pm  #44

Hello Timocrates 

Timocrates wrote:

But the only now is the objective now: all else is or would be then and not now. It is simply false to call any other time other than now, now.

I am not sure what do you mean here..when have I called any other time other than now, now. ? 

you seem to be quote mining me here ..I'll advise you to please follow the discussion from the start..

4/08/2017 1:03 pm  #45

Alright guys I am going to sleep right now..i'll respond to any Potential comments tomorrow..

4/08/2017 1:47 pm  #46

Calhoun wrote:

My contention is that,it seems to me that under the Eternalistic/B-theoratic view of time the Act/Potency distinction just collapses as all moments of time are equally real and nothing is reduced from being potentially X to being Actually X ..in the sense that things goes out of being and come into being ...every thing that exists, exists tenselessly.. thereby undermining A-T arguments.

It seems Act/potency requires some kind of robust A-theory combined with thoroughgoing Presentism.

Suppose there is a material substance, a, composed of a parcel of secondary matter, m, and the natural kind instance, N. The secondary matter accounts for potency, and the kind-instance act. So you have your act-potency distinction.

Suppose the B-theory. Then you have your act-potency distinction on the B-theory.

(Why would a B-theorist adopt powers? One reason would be to explain alterational change. Another, to take advantage of the powers theory of laws.)

4/08/2017 1:48 pm  #47

So this is what I would like to ask you ..are Five ways and Eternalism  compatible?

I think so, and I'm a B-theoretic eternalist, a non-Thomist, and believe in powers. I don't have anything hinging on the Five Ways, either. 

4/08/2017 2:33 pm  #48

John West wrote:

I'm a big fan of starting these kinds of discussions by drawing distinctions and defining terms:

The first distinction is between A-theorists and B-theorists. A-theorists think there is an absolute, objective present; B-theorists deny that there is an objective present.

The second is between endurantism, perdurantism, and exdurantism. If a duck endures, it's wholly present both waddling at t1 and flying at t2; if it perdures, it's a spacetime worm with a waddling part at t1 and a flying part at t2; if it exdures, it's a whole object waddling at t1 connected by an “I-relation” to a counterpart whole object flying at t2.

The third is between alterational and existential change. If the duck-waddling-at-t1 is one and the same as the duck-flying-at-t2, that duck has undergone alterational change; if the duck-waddling-at-t1 goes out of existence and is replaced by a duck-flying-at-t2, there has been a case of existential change. Aristotelians sometimes call alterational change accidental change and existential change substantial change.

A fourth is between temporal becoming and the passage of time. A-theorists think that temporal becoming (existential change) is an objective feature of reality; they, however, usually don't think that the passage of time is an objective of feature of reality (see here). B-theorists don't believe in temporal becoming.

I think it helps prevent miscommunications.

Thanks a lot John West

4/08/2017 2:37 pm  #49

John West wrote:

So this is what I would like to ask you ..are Five ways and Eternalism  compatible?

I think so, and I'm a B-theoretic eternalist, a non-Thomist, and believe in powers. I don't have anything hinging on the Five Ways, either. 

Are you a theist John?

4/08/2017 4:40 pm  #50

Callum wrote:

Are you a theist John?

I was when we started the forum. Then I was an atheist—think Sydney line metaphysics—for a while. Now I've reached a sort of dialectical stalemate, and I'm exploring other avenues.

Board footera