Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2017 6:05 pm  #351

Re: Stardusty Psyche's thread

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

nojoum wrote:

Its a bit more complicated than that Jeremy. For example on the issue of change, the whole point was that you could not have something coming out of nothing and so Aristotle came up with potentiality. A physicist would simply say that quantum mechanics dictate how matter interacts and thus what you see is just the working of qunatum mechanics. It's just how this matter behaves if certain conditions are provided. In a simple case a physicist would say that matter exists, there is no experiment showing matter going out of existence, so why should one give an account why matter exists? Of course, I agree that there should be a starting point,(there should be self-sufficient thing). However, a physicist would simply say that matter is self-sufficient. It maybe the atom or quarks or what have you, we might not even be able to know that there is actually something smaller than quarks but a physicist would say then that thing is the self-sufficient being and thus all we see is just the interaction of these smallest beings. 

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Your physicist here seems largely not to be operating as a physicist but as a metaphysician, and a bad one. Statements like matter is self-sufficient (I'm not sure what this means) are metaphysical ones, not scientific. I'm also not sure how this would explain (metaphysical, not scientific) issues like explaining causation and change. Besides, A-T gives arguments precisely why matter is not self-sufficient (if the meaning is that matter alone can explain change or its own existence). This metaphysical physicist would have to respond to them, not dismiss them. How has this physicst refuted Gerson's point?

By the way , I added to that post you quoted:

If you pick up any introductory textbook on metaphysics, you'll see that, though it might refer to scientific issues and evidence, it deals with metaphysical questions, not scientific ones, and often in language and concepts that would mean little to a physicist. If the mere difference in levels of analysis and language were enough to signify a fundamental clash in approaches, this would apply to all metaphysics, not just A-T. That the physicist has no interest or knowledge of the distinction between act and potency means little, at least until you can show the conflict is a real one between the the substance of modern physics and A-T metaphysics.

When I said that matter is self-sufficient, I mean that for example electron, protons and neutrons exist necessarily.
You are right to say that I am doing metaphysics not physics. However the point is that even if its not proper metaphysics, you would naturally lean toward such reasoning and that is why Aquinas's metaphysics can seem so strange. I'm not claiming that other metaphysics are better or not ( I am actually not aware of any other account of metaphysics), I'm just saying that Aqunias' metaphysics seems so strange considering the intuition that you would develope based on modern physics.

Last edited by nojoum (12/21/2017 6:13 pm)

12/21/2017 6:14 pm  #352

I think if one knew what necessary means in philosophy, one would have a hard time thinking a quark or electron was a necessary being. More importantly, what you describe doesn't follow from the physics in the slightest. It is, in fact, an imaginative picture created by popular scientism, that melds the scientific with the metaphysical. It's not science and it's bad philosophy.

12/21/2017 6:18 pm  #353

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I think if one knew what necessary means in philosophy, one would have a hard time thinking a quark or electron was a necessary being. More importantly, what you describe doesn't follow from the physics in the slightest. It is, in fact, an imaginative picture created by popular scientism, that melds the scientific with the metaphysical. It's not science and it's bad philosophy.

Be it true or not, that is the lens people like me and Stardusty are looking through and the point is that we dont really see the error of our ways. To us it seems that Thomists are wrong. It's just that its so sad to see so many antagonistic comments in this thread because of a genuine misundersanding.

Last edited by nojoum (12/21/2017 6:28 pm)

12/21/2017 6:28 pm  #354

But the lens is fallacious and ignorant. You ignored what I said and showed about SP, and clearly haven't read the thread in any depth. The misunderstandings are all SP's. He is an ignoramus. He certainly doesn't have a tertiary background in physics. His current argument is grossly fallacious and relies on an illicit move from allegedly ruling out one kind of change to ruling out all change. There's no excuse for that. It isn't a misunderstanding, except perhaps misunderstanding logic. 

​Leaving SP aside, if misunderstanding is being created by scientistic naturalists being unable to understand what is science and what isn't, and being unable to see what science does and can show, and what it doesn't and can't, then that is their fault, not Thomists (and I'm not a Thomist).

12/21/2017 6:35 pm  #355

Anyway, since you are sure that I mistaken here, it would be better to remove our entire discussion here. The thread does not need more clogging! :D

Last edited by nojoum (12/21/2017 6:45 pm)

12/21/2017 8:06 pm  #356

Nojoum, you keep ignoring arguments as to why material beings cannot be self-sufficient. If it were as simple as that, contemporary philosophers who wish to avoid cosmological arguments (and many of them are very well acquainted with physics) would not have such a hard time maintaining their own positions. Take Adolf Grünbaum, for example; he'd take your suggestion that protons and neutrons exist necessarily to make no sense whatsoever, which is why he tries to avoid theism by denying PSR. I don't even know what to make of the suggestion, as even the existence of quarks is conditioned -- they don't exist alone by themselves so to speak, they always need two or three more, etc. You've been ignoring arguments on why physical beings can't be either self-sufficient or necessary (and I've given some of them in another thread while we were discussing), and it seems like you openly admit that you're generally ignorant on metaphysics, and yet that doesn't stop you from suggesting that people here are wrong or unable to understand the "scientific picture". How can you be sure of this, if this whole discussion is about metaphysics (Even the science discussion iis related to metaphysical notions such as causality, conditionality, existence, essence, necessity, modality, etc) and at the same time you claim to be ignorant in metaphysics? How exactly are we wrong? People here have literally been trying to explain and re-explain the same things for more than 20 pages and SP refuses to interact with what is being said. SP refuses to think metaphysically, he repeats the *same* scientistic bull every single time to the point where it seems like he's not even reading what we're writing. I've tried explaining how hierarchical series of causes do not strictly require temporal simultaneity and we can even forget temporal simultaneity if so he pleases; RomanJoe has said the same; SP basically ignores and continues talking about linear motion and temporal simultaneity.

The dude has problems; he seems incapable of trying to understand what the other side is saying, he has been involved in 3200+ post long discussions in certain blogs before; he has been repeating the same things about the first way for MONTHS almost on a daily basis; he managed to get BANNED from Feser's blog; he's been debating us for 36+ pages and people keep complaining about him. What's more likely? That EVERYONE here is wrong, dogmatic, or incapable of understanding him, and pretty much everyone in Feser's blog is just unwilling to try to understand and talk to him, OR that the problem somehow lies with SP instead?

Last edited by Miguel (12/21/2017 8:07 pm)

12/21/2017 8:11 pm  #357

And it's not even as if everyone here agrees on everything. There are different positions and views and there have been discussions here before. But there's no comparison with what discussion with SP is like.

12/21/2017 8:19 pm  #358

An electron's essence isn't identical to its existence.

12/21/2017 8:32 pm  #359

The traditional scientistic view has been that everything is contingent (with the occasional grudging exemption of platonic abstracta). Scientism owes a lot to Positivism which in turns owes a lot (in fact practically everything) to Hume who famously attacked the notion of necessity.

If anyone can give philosophical arguments as to why x sub-atomic particle is a necessary being thy would be far more interesting than most forms of atheism out there today.

12/22/2017 1:23 am  #360

@RomanJo #335

I just don't really understand SP's objection to the existence of  essential causal series.

Fair enough.  I will do my best to find better words to explain my meaning.

IEven if the process is temporal, involving causal members that exert their causal efficacy over time, how does it follow that such a series is accidental rather than essential?

At an ordinary naked eye personal day to day perception of things what you are saying seems to fit with our perceptions.  But those perceptions break down on closer examination.

Things are often not as they seem.  For example, solid objects don't seem to have space in them, but upon closer examination we find a solid object is mostly space.

Instaneity is not necessary for a per se causal series. What is necessary is derivative causal power,

Once temporality is allowed for there is no identifiable first source for what you call causal power.  In the classic hand-stick-rock example the hand is said to be the first member, the original source of causal power.  On closer examination the hand derives from the tendons, which derive from the muscle, and back to the blood, heart, lung, oxygen inside the lung, oxygen further from the lung, and still further, and the plants that produced the oxygen, and the water, the dirt, and back and back and back in time and space.

With this we see that the hand-stick-rock are not some special sort of causal series, rather, they are merely the most recent members of a vast causal series that goes back all the way to the big bang and perhaps to a past eternal universe, which is clearly an "accidental" series.

The idea that the hand-stick-rock is somehow not a part of a vast "accidental" series is merely an artifact of limited and incomplete human perceptions.

a continual dependence of latter members on earlier members of the series.

Continual is a good word because it illustrates the fact that causation is composed of separate events.  Human beings tend to lump things together.  Closer analysis breaks these causal events apart.

People tend to assign the title of "cause" to one thing and "effect" to another, when in fact the objects assigned those titles are actually undergoing a vast number of minute causal processes.

A car motor seems to be an ongoing cause of motion of the car.  Stop the motor and the car stops.  Actually each individual molecule of oxygen and fuel react and each causes a tiny amount of energy to be transferred to the motion of the car.  Each one of those tiny causal processes is "accidental", since just like the grandfather in the classic example of an "accidental" causal series, an individual molecule of CO2 can exit the engine and it could disappear yet nothing can undo its causal influence. 

Since every real macro scale material causal process is composed of a multitude of minute "accidental" causal series, then every real macro scale material causal process is an "accidental" causal series.

Board footera