Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2017 5:26 am  #31

Re: Hart's review of Feser's death penalty book

The link that I recommended contains, in particular, what I consider to be a very good discussion of contemporary and historic Catholic (sometimes held at least by some Catholics) view(s) on the relationship between Church and State, having as its basis the teaching of Pope St. Gelasius I (r. AD 492-486) expressed in his famous letter to Emperor Anastasius. Whether you'll see white-washing where I see careful consideration, is, of course, not entirely up to me or the author. 

11/28/2017 5:45 am  #32

You can, naturally, cite the current situation as evidence of a flip-flop. But this change of strategy, adopted at Vatican II and involving, among other things, the revocation of secular-arm rights and duties from existing states, abandonment of serious attempts to legally establish Catholicism (to disasterous effect, in my opinion), was explicitly just that, in light of what the people behind it had considered to be a peculiar historical situation. It is also, needless to say, recent, and done in the context of existing and public accessible teaching.

In sum, the Church has never, either as "formal" magisterium or as a practical moral imperative, as far as I know, taught that "the pope can appoint emperors" is a binding statement under natural or revealed law, rather,  it was believed due to other reasons. As to feet kissing carried out by princes, well, I don't know, perhaps they should. I don't see anything wrong per se with the idea of kissing pontifical feet as a secular ruler: it seems to me to be a fitting if antiquated way of showing reverence to Christ, Whom the faithful - as rulers should in last analysis be - expect to be seen in their pastors.

Last edited by GeorgiusThomas (11/28/2017 6:01 am)

11/28/2017 6:05 am  #33

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

Nota bene, though: unless you somehow prove your possession of a special grace of soul-reading or something equivalent, I submit that anything that presupposes judging internal dispositions of the popes whose behaviour you claim to be talking about is at least as uninteresting as Catholic appeals to the abscence of some propositions in magisterial texts or insufficient grounding within them. 

I have no idea what this means, but it sounds like special pleading for Catholicism.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

I propose to distinguish between popes qua vicars of Christ (visible heads of the Church) and popes qua secular rulers/bodies prescribed by particular constitutions.

And this is clearly special pleading for the popes. Briefly: There is no scriptural basis for such a distinction. The scripture does not permit any bishop be a secular ruler with his own army and executioners.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

Even popes like St. Gregory VII of Canossa fame didn't claim immediate supreme political power within Christendom in virtue of their Petrine charism. The Roman argument against lay investiture had never been that the Pope is a secular authority above the emperor.

Here's a quote for you,

Dictatus Papae, Gregorius VII wrote:

The Roman Church was founded solely by God.
Only the Pope can with right be called "Universal".
[...]
He alone may use the Imperial Insignia.
All princes shall kiss the feet of the Pope alone.
His name alone shall be spoken in the churches.
This is the only name in the world.
It may be permitted to him to depose emperors.
[...]
A sentence passed by him may be retracted by no one. He alone may retract it.
He himself may be judged by no one.

"It may be permitted to him" ("illi liceat") can be interpreted in a few ways (from "it's legal" to "it's okay"), but his Canossa fame should not leave much doubt how he interpreted it.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

You may think her ministers to have been engaged in gross hipocrisy over the centuries, but what cannot be legitimately concluded is that the Church really failed to -teach- all of this. So, no flip-flopps (at least in the relevant sense) that I can see.

Well, I see no problem in granting that the Roman Catholic Church has said and done contradictory things all along, instead of spinning its history in the last few centuries. It does not essentially change the point: Self-contradictions and lack of scriptural basis remain the same.

11/28/2017 8:31 am  #34

"I have no idea what this means, but it sounds like special pleading for Catholicism."

What this means is that I'm not really interested in this debate unless you can somehow justify your selection of points relevant for this discussion. For example, you seem to basically dismiss tradtional Catholic (and also Eastern Orthodox, to some degree) distinctions between magisterial and non-magisterial pronouncements as unimportant, without any argument or even a hint at one. I suppose what at least prima facie seems to be an imputation of 'spinning the history" of the Church, particularly in the last few centuries, is also something that, I think, will fail to inspire the interest of pretty much anybody not in substantial agreement with you and/or possessed of an extraordinary interest in your (unargued) opinions.
What -would be- interesting is, among other things, to see the important point in history (after which ecclesial writers stop being considered relevant witnesses) identified, and, for that matter, the detailed reasoning that would allow one to impute any theological (as distinct from historical) authority to the collection of writings known as the Christian Bible, particularly in connection with the above-mentioned item of interest, especially the property this collection of books apparently has in your understanding, namely, the one ordaining the necessity for any contender for Christian authenticity to be able to positively reconstruct all the aspects of its doctrine and practice from it that you consider to be important (this also being a delightful riddle). In other words, it would be positively grand to see the standard, that I supposedly fail to apply, properly defined and defended.

What makes the above-mentioned points especially interesting is my distinct impression of bearing witness to an entire brood of principia being begged. But I will try to carry on presuming good faith, and in this spirit  ask precisely why you think that citing a document of unclear purpose and import can serve as a kind of a silver bullet that renders all of the point made above utterly refuted or at least shown unworthy of being addressed. Perhaps you do have the powers of mind-reading (applied to dead people at that!) that I alluded to in the first fragment quoted by you above, but I really cannot see how the items contained in "Dictatus Papae" (the meaning and importance of each not specified in something that is basically a memo) again, even contrasted with previous and subsequent Papal usages, indicate a departure from the former and a wrong corrected in the latter. I suggest, among other things, looking up the full title of the Patriarch of Alexandria (accumulated over the centuries, naturally, but having its inception in the ancient Church). This suggestion is also, hopefully, made more intelligible below.

But then, perhaps you're right, and magisterial teaching and historical discussion of related matters are completely irrelevant, that is, when one has the unique ability of reading the very depths of the hearts of men through mere anecdotes. 

I suspect that the same wonderful perspicacity would explain the treatment of recurring sin and human frailty of some of its members as clear evidence of inauthenticity of the historical Church. Perhaps some sort of Donatism is true after all. Sadly, however, those with just the tools of common mortals, like myself, cannot catch even a glimpse of this pristinely authentic Christianity of seigneur socially embodied in history, as the evidence suggests that the same enemies plagued all of the pretenders for the Christian title throughout their earthly sojourn.

Last edited by GeorgiusThomas (11/28/2017 8:59 am)

11/28/2017 9:40 am  #35

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

What this means is that I'm not really interested in this debate unless you can somehow justify your selection of points relevant for this discussion. For example, you seem to basically dismiss tradtional Catholic (and also Eastern Orthodox, to some degree) distinctions between magisterial and non-magisterial pronouncements as unimportant, without any argument or even a hint at one.

Correct, I completely reject that distinction. And I give a very strong hint to what I accept: You must argue your theological points from scripture.

This thread is about Hart's review of Feser's defense of the capital punishment. Is that a spiritual or a secular topic? Let's say it has aspects of both.

In terms of natural law, I think pretty much everything can be granted to Feser. The issue is whether natural law philosophy is something Christians can/should go by or are they held to a different standard, specifically Christian standard as derivable from scripture (and determinable by theological reasoning rather than metaphysical or logico-philosophical). In my view, Hart's emphasis is on that issue.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

What -would be- interesting is, among other things, to see the important point in history (after which ecclesial writers stop being considered relevant witnesses) identified, and, for that matter, the detailed reasoning that would allow one to impute any theological (as distinct from historical) authority to the collection of writings known as the Christian Bible, particularly in connection with the above-mentioned item of interest, especially the property this collection of books apparently has in your understanding, namely, the one ordaining the necessity for any contender for Christian authenticity to be able to positively reconstruct all the aspects of its doctrine and practice from it that you consider to be important (this also being a delightful riddle).

The delightful riddle here is how Catholics are willing to take as their starting point that they don't know what the Bible is and what it says, while at the same time laying claim to both true and universal Christianity. This never worked and will not work now either. If you start with that you don't know what the Bible is, then this discussion has ended. Otherwise, read Hart's review and the Bible verses there.

11/28/2017 9:42 am  #36

And, should anyone want to accuse me of apologising for popes, as Catholics are apparently so prone to do, at least in this matter, I'd like to make it clear that I do believe in a fairly robust version of -indirect- papal power over secular powers and few events in the sublunar world would bring as much joy to me, all things being equal, as the errection of a planet-wide Catholic empire somewhat akin to the HRE that would solemnly subordinate itself to this indirect power and establish Catholicism as its state religion. I do not, to my great sadness, know how anything mentioned above can realistically come about and entertain no such hope, but this is the ideal, and few Catholics or Orthodox, (Anglicans et al.?) should find this ideal to be odd or scandalous.

Nor do I think that faith and religion are virtues that cannot be sinned against with detriment to the common good, so I, in the (at least relatively) good company of most cultures in the world, believe that they these transgressions can be real crimes, and hence intrinsically they admit the possibility of punishment, including capital punishment. According to some (perhaps not quite in line with their own tradition?), this thought excludes the possibility of being "a civilised Christian". Ah well.

Last edited by GeorgiusThomas (11/28/2017 9:45 am)

11/28/2017 11:32 am  #37

"Correct, I completely reject that distinction. And I give a very strong hint to what I accept: You must argue your theological points from scripture."
_ _ _
Then let me return your kind favour and give a very strong hint about my assessment of your argument here: begging the question is a crime against thought.
_ _ _
"In terms of natural law, I think pretty much everything can be granted to Feser. The issue is whether natural law philosophy is something Christians can/should go by or are they held to a different standard, specifically Christian standard as derivable from scripture (and determinable by theological reasoning rather than metaphysical or logico-philosophical). In my view, Hart's emphasis is on that issue."
_ _ _
Unless you're willing to present a convincing case arguing for the possibility of a Christian assent of faith by something other than a human being (or perhaps refer us to one) - the possibility of that occurring, I confess, is not something I'd put my money on - I fail to see how one can exclude natural law entirely. An argument can be made that the exclusion called for by Christian revelation is only partial and concerns only killing (or perhaps violence generally), but I can see how something like this can cause grave scandal and make one doubt the origin of this revelation in Divinity, given that the application of these principles plausibly entails societal suicide, something the Creator, Who instituted human beings as social and political, would presumably not desire, especially given that in previous (supposed revelation, for the sake of argument) He prescribed killing, ordained capital punishment and commanded wars. 
But then, there's very little reason to believe this describes Christian revelation with any accuracy. I hope to provide reasons for this assessment soon enough, when and if I address Hart's review in detail (this is contingent on the contents of Dr. Feser's reply).

Concerning Dr. Hart's emphasis and his general position, I refer you to what Jeremy Taylor has argued. I concede that you might as well be right about this. The problem is that Dr. Hart is Eastern Orthodox, and their position (at least traditionally and wide-spread one, as it can be tricky identifying magisterial statements with them) is miles removed from the view behind his review of Dr. Feser's book.

I haven't managed to find out what jurisdiction Dr. Hart belongs to, but if it happens to be one of the Russian ones, he has the opportunity of venerating Joseph of Volotsk, known for, among other things, his unrelenting opposition to the so-called "Judaisers" and calls for their execution, every September 9 (22) and October 18 (31) (Gregorian/Julian calendar). If Dr. Hart considers his view to be representative of his tradition, he would likely be surprised by the variety of crimes for which both Byzantine and Slavonic Nomocanon prescribed the death penalty.

Both Byzantium and Russia, the two empires that at some point became Orthodox, for example, had distinguished military traditions with the overwhelming majority of fighting men being Orthodox in both cases. Christian Byzantium employed the death penalty throught its history, including punishing non-killing related crimes, such as rape at one point, and yes, heresy. The situation with Russia is a bit more complicated, but various Russian states employed it, the partial relaxation of which norms happens to coincide with various 18th century rulers toying with Enlightenment ideas.

The aplomb and attitude with which Dr. Hart approaches the matter is, I submit, at the very least brazenly disrespectful to generations of churchmen and common co-religionists of his. Although this is unlikely, I hope that an application of some censure will be considered by some Orthodox hierarch, or at least a call made to provide necessary disclaimers for articles of this nature.

Last edited by GeorgiusThomas (11/28/2017 11:43 am)

11/28/2017 12:05 pm  #38

"The delightful riddle here is how Catholics are willing to take as their starting point that they don't know what the Bible is and what it says, while at the same time laying claim to both true and universal Christianity. This never worked and will not work now either. If you start with that you don't know what the Bible is, then this discussion has ended. Otherwise, read Hart's review and the Bible verses there."

By now I strongly suspect that distinguishing things is not an operation you indulge in frequently, but I beseech you to try it. But here's what I've meant: I can -know- 'what' the Bible is in many different ways, some more immediate than others. I can know the Bible as a group of documents, some of which presented as primarily accounts of historical events. I can know what the word "Bible" means within the context of archaeology, textual history, patristic studies etc. But without the Church, the existence of which as a sacerdotally hierarchical society vested with true doctrinal and moral authority by God and claiming to be the true Israel I affirm due to my conviction of evidentiary value of at least some books of the Bible, I do not know what the Bible is in the sense of a divinely inspired and infallible set of books with proportional theological authority. This concerns both the set, with the list of books legitimated in some other way nowhere to be found, and individual books.

Of course, should you deign to alleviate my ignorance, you can contribute to the enlightenment of all the poor members of the Catholic sect worldwide by pointing out the manifest signs of biblicalness in the latter sense in, say, the Epistle to Philemon (or any other book, really). 

11/28/2017 2:20 pm  #39

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

...begging the question is a crime against thought.

Yes, it's a crime against thought. But you have not shown how I am begging the question. From my point of view, it's actually you doing it, insofar as you assume the following

- Catholics are Christians
- Christians must obey the Pope rather than the scriptures
- Capital Punishment, insofar as in accordance with natural law, is a Christian thing

Hart's review challenges these points. Feser is not actually arguing for these points, but he certainly takes them for granted, more or less silently.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

I fail to see how one can exclude natural law entirely.

The idea is not to exclude natural law, but to determine the place of natural law in the order of things. Naturally, everybody is under natural law, Christians and gentiles alike. But Christians are also under Christian command and they are supposed to put aside their old worldly selves, so natural law is a thing to overcome, not a thing to follow. Is this not so? It's not a matter of if it's practical or feasible or easy to do it. If one questions or denies what is prescribed for Christians, one marks oneself as un-Christian, as simple as that.

GeorgiusThomas wrote:

Concerning Dr. Hart's emphasis and his general position, I refer you to what Jeremy Taylor has argued. I concede that you might as well be right about this. The problem is that Dr. Hart is Eastern Orthodox, and their position (at least traditionally and wide-spread one, as it can be tricky identifying magisterial statements with them) is miles removed from the view behind his review of Dr. Feser's book.

So on the actual main point you are not really differing at all with me. See my first post in this thread.

11/28/2017 3:04 pm  #40

Yes, it's a crime against thought. But you have not shown how I am begging the question. From my point of view, it's actually you doing it, insofar as you assume the following

- Catholics are Christians
- Christians must obey the Pope rather than the scriptures
- Capital Punishment, insofar as in accordance with natural law, is a Christian thing
_ _ _
You seem (perhaps it's just me) to be under the impression that fitting your personal nominal defition of a Christian is a rational concern for anybody, and I think it's evidently false, at least as it regards people not already that devoted to you. What I think -is- a rational concern happens to be fitting the real definition of a Christian that can be discovered upon historical investigation of the revelation claim and believed on that basis.

The question I suspect of being begged here, of course, is the opposition between the Magisterium and the Scriptures, the petitionary nature of which I've already touched upon. I eagerly await seeing your preferred procedure of going about the real concern specified above without presupposing Sola (Primo?) Scriptura and/or some other arbitrary and irrational standard. 
- - -
Hart's review challenges these points. Feser is not actually arguing for these points, but he certainly takes them for granted, more or less silently.
--- 
I'll concede this as probable if you qualify your statement with "indirectly" and perhaps "unwittingly". His review seems to presuppose the truth of the first proposion against which you assert I'm begging the question.
--- 
The idea is not to exclude natural law, but to determine the place of natural law in the order of things. Naturally, everybody is under natural law, Christians and gentiles alike. But Christians are also under Christian command and they are supposed to put aside their old worldly selves, so natural law is a thing to overcome, not a thing to follow. Is this not so? It's not a matter of if it's practical or feasible or easy to do it. If one questions or denies what is prescribed for Christians, one marks oneself as un-Christian, as simple as that.
--- 
I wonder, why on Earth would anybody identify natural law with "our wordly selves". The supposed objective of totally overcoming natural law is in any case, so it appears to me, not only not contained in the NT, but, if granted, is totally destructive of any binding force any commandments are commonly attributed. You probably don't want to have "do good, avoid evil' overcome in any real sense. But without further elaboration setting limits to this overcoming at least appears arbitrary.
Given your refreshingly (seemingly) rigorist understanding of Christ's prescriptions (and an implicit conflation of commandments and counsels, but more about this later, perhaps), I'm tempted to ask about the number of mutilations you've inflicted on yourself. But that would be inappropriate. Hopefully your bodily intergrity is as full as this worldly human nature of ours suggests as optimal for a man of your age.
---
So on the actual main point you are not really differing at all with me. See my first post in this thread.
---
We might differ on the actual main point, but that's relatively unimportant, although some agreement would be nice, too. I wanted to show (not quite clearly, apologies for that) that your understanding of Orthodoxy (which is the denomination to which Dr. Hart swears allegiance) is not quite right, and that therefore one has to state that there is (at least potentially) a real coherence problem here. Presumably Dr. Hart is putting forward a view he holds to be the Orthodox one. It appears that you consider his view to be Christian, but, as argued, I don't think you can do that with the Orthodox, and you appear to refer to them as Christians. 
Apologies for any misunderstandings due to deficiencies on my part.

Last edited by GeorgiusThomas (11/28/2017 3:07 pm)

Board footera