Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2018 9:59 pm  #11

Re: Objections to AT view of forms

One reason we "need" forms is to account for common-sense ideas we have about pigs.   For example, identity over time.  If a pig is merely a set of particles arranged pigwise, then when one subatomic leaves the pig swarm, it is not the same pig because it is not composed of the same set of elements.   Another common-sense idea is morality.   Why is it wrong to rip a pig or a dog in half but not a pencil?  If they're both just particles arranged in a certain way, and properties like life are just a higher-level illusions, then I don't see where that morality could come from.  A utilitarian would obviously disagree, but then again a utilitarian is unable to answer the question, why ought I be moral?  In fact the utilitarian doesn't even have access to the ideas that could answer that question.

These are not the only reason people posit forms, but the reductionist either has to accept some strange theories to account for these things or bite the bullet and say morality and personal identity aren't real.

1/22/2018 12:05 pm  #12

SR wrote:

I'm not an expert on AT, but my understanding of 'form' according to AT is that it includes all that distinguishes one class of entity from another.It is not just its physical components that distinguish a pig from, say, a rock. Another distinction is that it can sense its environment, while a rock can't, so that sensory capability is part of its form. A clearer example might be what AT considers the form of a human being. It includes reason and will, since that is what distinguishes human beings from other animals, not to mention rocks.

But why should we take the macroscopic features of reality as the prima facie form of the pig? This is one of my issues with AT form, it treats the macroscopic features as the fundamental features of a things--but when I take a microscope to the pig, when I dissect it, when I theorize about its inner structure, I learn that there is a complex world of matter mechanically moving. I don't find any form, I don't need to appeal to form to explain the unity and behavior of the pig. Theoretically I could explain the pig as a pig by tracing the individual motions of each particle of matter in accordance with physical laws.

SR wrote:

Forms can be very complex, and can include many levels. I am "just one thing", and my form is part physical, part animal, and part rational.

But if material constitution has shown us anything it's that we are either not one thing or we are fundamentally one thing (quarks). For instance, a pig is not just a pig, you also have muscles, bone, flesh, blood cells, oxygen, tissue, all the way down to its microscopic structures and beyond that. A pig is not one thing, it appears to be one thing, but it is actually an intricate conglomerate of millions of things. But this would concede that each individual part of the pig has a substantial form. If quarks are the fundamental particles however then all the later "things" that make up the pig are at rock bottom just a fluctuation of quarks. In this sense, then, the pig is one thing. But I don't see any reason to believe it is an independent homogeneous thing like AT form would suggest.

1/22/2018 12:14 pm  #13

Brian wrote:

One reason we "need" forms is to account for common-sense ideas we have about pigs.   For example, identity over time.  If a pig is merely a set of particles arranged pigwise, then when one subatomic leaves the pig swarm, it is not the same pig because it is not composed of the same set of elements.   Another common-sense idea is morality.   Why is it wrong to rip a pig or a dog in half but not a pencil?  If they're both just particles arranged in a certain way, and properties like life are just a higher-level illusions, then I don't see where that morality could come from.  A utilitarian would obviously disagree, but then again a utilitarian is unable to answer the question, why ought I be moral?  In fact the utilitarian doesn't even have access to the ideas that could answer that question.

These are not the only reason people posit forms, but the reductionist either has to accept some strange theories to account for these things or bite the bullet and say morality and personal identity aren't real.

Why can't we just say it's a set of particles arranged pigwise? This would solve the identity issue. The pig would be any set of particles which is arranged in a manner that we traditionally identify as being a pig. Even if it lost some particles and gained new ones, those new particles would become part of the pigwise arrangement and still seemingly be the same thing--like a car that has its tires replaced. We still call it the same car because it maintains a consistent arrangement of parts which we've tracked since our purchase of it.

As for the morality issue, well couldn't the reductionist concede that the macroscopic features and properties of a pig are ultimately illusory but still hold that it would be wrong to rip the pig in half insofar as the pig is someone else's property or that certain social standards have ingrained in him a sense of moral weight to his actions?

1/22/2018 1:53 pm  #14

Drovot wrote:

Why can't we just say it's a set of particles arranged pigwise?

Because here we're already smuggling form back into the picture. "Pigwise" is something that is not applicable to a single particle.

Drovot wrote:

As for the morality issue, well couldn't the reductionist concede that the macroscopic features and properties of a pig are ultimately illusory but still hold that it would be wrong to rip the pig in half insofar as the pig is someone else's property or that certain social standards have ingrained in him a sense of moral weight to his actions?

Well, we can reply that using other standards, ripping the pig in half is true. It makes morality subjective : how can you decide which standard to apply?

1/22/2018 6:22 pm  #15

Drovot, citing the material parts of a given structure does not do a damn thing to explain away the structure or form. It is downright ridiculous to conclude that a pig is a "storm of quarks." Why? Because it obviously is not--there's an entire unifying macroscopic reality that is supported by this "storm of quarks." Give me a good reason to privileged the hidden subatomic structure over the macroscopic structure. Give me a good reason to conclude that the former is really real and the latter is merely an ephemeral veil, an epiphenomenal illusion. The pig is not reducible to these quarks for the very reason that, as you're so fond of using the term, we recognize it as a pig.

The form of the pig establishes the strictures that its parts must adhere to. There are no free-floating quarks with a pig--the powers of the quarks are limited, given impermissible and permissible behavior in accordance with the form that informs them. The pig is not reducible to its parts because its parts are fully yoked to the singular objective datum that we experience--the one and only pig. This is in stark contrast to an accidental form like a shovel--the iron for the head still behaves like iron, the wood still behaves like wood, the rubber grips still behave like rubber. In other words, the behavior (loosely speaking) of the shovel is reducible to its parts. With the pig this isn't so. Common sense requires us to view the pig and its inner structures from a top-down angle. We only understand why its organs are arranged the way they are, why its bones are arranged the way they are, its chemical, molecular, atomic structures are arranged the way they are, by reference to the whole, the pig. 

1/22/2018 6:48 pm  #16

Drovot wrote:

SR wrote:

I'm not an expert on AT, but my understanding of 'form' according to AT is that it includes all that distinguishes one class of entity from another.It is not just its physical components that distinguish a pig from, say, a rock. Another distinction is that it can sense its environment, while a rock can't, so that sensory capability is part of its form. A clearer example might be what AT considers the form of a human being. It includes reason and will, since that is what distinguishes human beings from other animals, not to mention rocks.

But why should we take the macroscopic features of reality as the prima facie form of the pig? This is one of my issues with AT form, it treats the macroscopic features as the fundamental features of a things--

It appears that for you the word 'form' simply means macroscopic appearance. But as I said that is not what AT means by 'form'. According to AT, the ability to reason is an essential part of a human's form, and that has nothing to do with macroscopic appearance.

...but when I take a microscope to the pig, when I dissect it, when I theorize about its inner structure, I learn that there is a complex world of matter mechanically moving. I don't find any form,

Well, yes you are finding form, as FrenchySkepticalCatholic says, you're just using the words 'structure' and 'arrangement' instead. A mathematical object has form (in the AT usage of the word) but has no macroscopic appearance at all, and there are those who say that all there is to know about a quark is its mathematical form.

I don't need to appeal to form to explain the unity and behavior of the pig. Theoretically I could explain the pig as a pig by tracing the individual motions of each particle of matter in accordance with physical laws.

This is a highly contentious statement. Only physicalists believe that animal behavior is theoretically explainable by reduction to microphysical motions. For example, why does a pig seek food? Answer: because it feels hunger and wants to stop that feeling. But no one has a clue of how the motions of microscopic particles could explain the feeling of hunger. Or, for that matter, how macroscopic appearances come about. 

1/22/2018 10:52 pm  #17

Drovot wrote:

Theoretically I could explain the pig as a pig by tracing the individual motions of each particle of matter in accordance with physical laws.

I also take issue with this.

Even if this could be proved, it does nothing to show that forms don't exist. Even if you could track each particle's motion and watch as they all--following certain physical laws--collapse into each other to form a specific structure, it still would not follow that what results from the physical motion of these particles is not an actually existing form we call a pig. What if I could track every particle from their primordial beginning in the core of a star to you? Would this mean that somehow you are not you, that you aren't of a specific kind? Do you think that, ideally, for you to exist as the kind of thing your are (rational animal) you needed to have popped into existence, your matter contrived out of nothing, not obeying or determined by physical laws? Do you think that forms need to unify matter by going against the laws of physics? This seems dubious. AT wouldn't deny that the material world is governed by physical laws--but it would deny that this somehow makes the notion of form obsolete. 

1/22/2018 11:23 pm  #18

I thought Crawford Elder's argument Ed and Oderberg have referenced is interesting here. If the pig is nothing but a bunch of particles arranged pig-wise, how do we quantify over the right particles? It can't be with reference to the pig itself (because circular), but it doesn't seem there's any other option, and in particular there's no relation among particles one could name that would pick out the pig, and only the pig.

1/23/2018 12:12 am  #19

Drovot,

I think it is important to differentiate certain issues that aren't perhaps entirely distinguished in the OP. For a start, there is the distinction between the question of realism vs nominalism from that of the truth of the A-T conception of forms. That is, whether (at least some) universals and general terms, whether pig or chair or justice, exist independently (though not necessarily separately) from the particulars that instantiate them or whether all existing things are individual and general terms and universals are all just human made groupings is separate, though related, to whether A-T realism is true. The A-T concept of forms is an account of how universals might have a real existence, but it certainly isn't the only one. Arguments are given against the different accounts, but, generally, the main impetus for nominalism, in my view, is a reductionism that is weary of granting that something like an immaterial, abstract universal can exist. There are, however, some good arguments for realism. Deduction seems to require realism, for example. If we can't intuit that, for example, being mortal is necessary for all men, it is hard to see how the classic syllogism about Socrates' humanity and mortality could be anything more than an inductive (probable) argument based on past experience. And, obviously, there are many variations on appeals to our very ability to group individuals as belonging to a class (why do we call certain individual things pigs and other dogs?), which have already been brought up, or indeed how nominalism can account for the sharing of any properties at all.

​But as I said, none of this requires one endorse the A-T version of realism specifically. But I'm also not sure that claiming only sub-atomic particles and the like have substantial forms would be ruled by the A-T understanding of forms. Even if one denies that everyday objects are substances, the A-T philosopher can still claim that quarks et al. must be substances, given what he thinks are the objections to nominalism as well as competing realist accounts.

1/23/2018 4:05 pm  #20

FrenchySkepticalCatholic wrote:

Because here we're already smuggling form back into the picture. "Pigwise" is something that is not applicable to a single particle.

Hence why I said "set" of particles. A car isn't its motor or wheels, its the set of particular parts arranged carwise, but the car isn't anything more than its parts. The pig, by the same logic, being composed of fundamental particles, can't be anything more than those particles. I'm not sure why there is so much resistance to this. If something is reducible to smaller parts and, at bottom, the smallest parts, then have we not shown that the operations of the macroscopic features always rely on these smaller parts? It's the constituent material parts doing all the work. 

Board footera