Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2018 4:10 pm  #21

Re: Objections to AT view of forms

RomanJoe wrote:

Drovot, citing the material parts of a given structure does not do a damn thing to explain away the structure or form. It is downright ridiculous to conclude that a pig is a "storm of quarks." Why? Because it obviously is not--there's an entire unifying macroscopic reality that is supported by this "storm of quarks." Give me a good reason to privileged the hidden subatomic structure over the macroscopic structure. Give me a good reason to conclude that the former is really real and the latter is merely an ephemeral veil, an epiphenomenal illusion. The pig is not reducible to these quarks for the very reason that, as you're so fond of using the term, we recognize it as a pig.

The form of the pig establishes the strictures that its parts must adhere to. There are no free-floating quarks with a pig--the powers of the quarks are limited, given impermissible and permissible behavior in accordance with the form that informs them. The pig is not reducible to its parts because its parts are fully yoked to the singular objective datum that we experience--the one and only pig. This is in stark contrast to an accidental form like a shovel--the iron for the head still behaves like iron, the wood still behaves like wood, the rubber grips still behave like rubber. In other words, the behavior (loosely speaking) of the shovel is reducible to its parts. With the pig this isn't so. Common sense requires us to view the pig and its inner structures from a top-down angle. We only understand why its organs are arranged the way they are, why its bones are arranged the way they are, its chemical, molecular, atomic structures are arranged the way they are, by reference to the whole, the pig. 

A good reason to privileged the subatomic over the macroscopic? The macroscopic wouldn't exist without the subatomic. The subatomic is the epicenter of any object, be it a pig, human, car, whatever. Take away the subatomic and they disappear. This should be proof that the subatomic is doing all the work. It's not that the macroscopic features rely for their existence on the quarks, it's just that the quarks are all there is. 

You mention that common sense requires us to view the pig top-down. Well, at first glance, common sense would tell us that the sun rises and sets, that it moves. There are many instances where science has undermined common sense. Science has undermined our common sense notion of form with regards to the pig by showing that the pig is, at its base level, a collection of quarks arranged in, what we impose onto the quark storm, a pigish form. 

1/23/2018 4:12 pm  #22

RomanJoe wrote:

Drovot wrote:

Theoretically I could explain the pig as a pig by tracing the individual motions of each particle of matter in accordance with physical laws.

I also take issue with this.

Even if this could be proved, it does nothing to show that forms don't exist. Even if you could track each particle's motion and watch as they all--following certain physical laws--collapse into each other to form a specific structure, it still would not follow that what results from the physical motion of these particles is not an actually existing form we call a pig. What if I could track every particle from their primordial beginning in the core of a star to you? Would this mean that somehow you are not you, that you aren't of a specific kind? Do you think that, ideally, for you to exist as the kind of thing your are (rational animal) you needed to have popped into existence, your matter contrived out of nothing, not obeying or determined by physical laws? Do you think that forms need to unify matter by going against the laws of physics? This seems dubious. AT wouldn't deny that the material world is governed by physical laws--but it would deny that this somehow makes the notion of form obsolete. 

Then why does AT see form as a principle of unity if we can explain the operations, movements, and structures of particles by physical laws? 

1/23/2018 4:14 pm  #23

UGADawg wrote:

I thought Crawford Elder's argument Ed and Oderberg have referenced is interesting here. If the pig is nothing but a bunch of particles arranged pig-wise, how do we quantify over the right particles? It can't be with reference to the pig itself (because circular), but it doesn't seem there's any other option, and in particular there's no relation among particles one could name that would pick out the pig, and only the pig.

How is this circular? What do you mean by quantifying over the right particles?

1/23/2018 6:08 pm  #24

SR wrote:

I happen to agree with you that prime matter can be dispensed with. But not form.

I'm curious why you think this. Do you posit just some sort of secondary matter instead? Do you think potency does not need some substratum and can be attributed to a thing's form? The reason why I'm asking these questions is because I've been struggling with understanding prime matter. From what I can grasp, it's posited as a substratum that acts as the seat of potentiality in all material beings--it's a correlative basic material that form actualizes. I still don't understand why we can't just appeal to some sort of secondary matter or attribute potentials for new existences to the form of a substance. 

Perhaps I could open this up into a separate thread if it begins to deviate from the OP too much.

1/23/2018 6:10 pm  #25

Drovot wrote:

RomanJoe wrote:

Drovot wrote:

Theoretically I could explain the pig as a pig by tracing the individual motions of each particle of matter in accordance with physical laws.

I also take issue with this.

Even if this could be proved, it does nothing to show that forms don't exist. Even if you could track each particle's motion and watch as they all--following certain physical laws--collapse into each other to form a specific structure, it still would not follow that what results from the physical motion of these particles is not an actually existing form we call a pig. What if I could track every particle from their primordial beginning in the core of a star to you? Would this mean that somehow you are not you, that you aren't of a specific kind? Do you think that, ideally, for you to exist as the kind of thing your are (rational animal) you needed to have popped into existence, your matter contrived out of nothing, not obeying or determined by physical laws? Do you think that forms need to unify matter by going against the laws of physics? This seems dubious. AT wouldn't deny that the material world is governed by physical laws--but it would deny that this somehow makes the notion of form obsolete. 

Then why does AT see form as a principle of unity if we can explain the operations, movements, and structures of particles by physical laws? 

Because form explains the quiddity of a thing--it makes otherwise disparate matter intelligible, orderly, one thing. 

1/23/2018 10:56 pm  #26

Perhaps this may help Drovot (although I'm just a beginner, so maybe I'm misstating this or being unhelpful).  A materialist may say, "This chemical only has the property it has because of the arrangement of the atoms that make up its molecule, and the atoms only have the properties they have because of the arrangement of the subatomic particles," but in that case, "arrangement" is only another word for "form."

1/23/2018 11:47 pm  #27

Drovot wrote:

UGADawg wrote:

I thought Crawford Elder's argument Ed and Oderberg have referenced is interesting here. If the pig is nothing but a bunch of particles arranged pig-wise, how do we quantify over the right particles? It can't be with reference to the pig itself (because circular), but it doesn't seem there's any other option, and in particular there's no relation among particles one could name that would pick out the pig, and only the pig.

How is this circular? What do you mean by quantifying over the right particles?

It would be circular because one is explaining the pig in terms of the set of particles, and explaining the relevant set of particles in terms of the pig. 

Regarding your latter question I just mean you have to pick out the relevant set of particles; you can't leave it undefined.

1/23/2018 11:57 pm  #28

RomanJoe wrote:

SR wrote:

I happen to agree with you that prime matter can be dispensed with. But not form.

I'm curious why you think this. Do you posit just some sort of secondary matter instead? Do you think potency does not need some substratum and can be attributed to a thing's form? The reason why I'm asking these questions is because I've been struggling with understanding prime matter. From what I can grasp, it's posited as a substratum that acts as the seat of potentiality in all material beings--it's a correlative basic material that form actualizes. I still don't understand why we can't just appeal to some sort of secondary matter or attribute potentials for new existences to the form of a substance. 

Perhaps I could open this up into a separate thread if it begins to deviate from the OP too much.

I will respond in your "Is prime matter necessary for change and limitation?" thread. 

1/24/2018 4:45 am  #29

Drovot wrote:

A good reason to privileged the subatomic over the macroscopic? The macroscopic wouldn't exist without the subatomic. The subatomic is the epicenter of any object, be it a pig, human, car, whatever. Take away the subatomic and they disappear. This should be proof that the subatomic is doing all the work. It's not that the macroscopic features rely for their existence on the quarks, it's just that the quarks are all there is. 

I think we can also make the opposite : remove the human or the pig, and all its constituants also disappear.

1/24/2018 4:12 pm  #30

Drovot wrote:

You mention that common sense requires us to view the pig top-down. Well, at first glance, common sense would tell us that the sun rises and sets, that it moves. There are many instances where science has undermined common sense. Science has undermined our common sense notion of form with regards to the pig by showing that the pig is, at its base level, a collection of quarks arranged in, what we impose onto the quark storm, a pigish form. 

​But this just begs the question. Whether or not the microscopic can explain all is exactly what is in question. Aside from what has been brought up in this thread, there are a ot of anti-reductionist arguments out there. For example, macroscopic objects have properties that microscopic objects don't. It is famously hard for the reductionist to explain just how these properties can be reduced to the properties of atoms, let alone subatomic particles, without just relying on vague terms, like emerging, or explaining the properties away. This is related to the vexed issue of qualia, which materialists have huge problems accounting for.

​Anyway, to point to the microscopic pig particles to pick out a pig seems circular, because we need to know these particles belong to a pig, to begin with, to call them pig particles. What defines them as pig particles is their belonging to a pig. 

​There are reductionist and nominalist responses to this, which move the process on a step to other qualities and eventually try to make it a matter of human judgement which particles are pig particles and which aren't. But you are still left with the basic issue of why humans would group things in particular ways and why some groupings seem more objective than others - why the category pig seems more objective than that of people taller than me or of things in the corner of my living room - not to mention the other problems with nominalism, like some I suggested above.

​Also, as I said above, it wouldn't disprove A-T realism, or some other varieties, to suggest that the only true substances are subatomic particles. I think it implausible, but you would still have the substantial forms of quarks, etc., and things like pigs and humans would presumably be accidental forms of these.

Board footera