Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2018 6:46 pm  #111

Re: How to speak with atheists

Johannes wrote:

I have seen treatments of the subject of knowing and loving as the main operations of a spiritual being only in expositions of the doctrine of the Trinity, .... I found an interesting presentation of the subject based on the experience of human beings by the late British priest Edward Holloway, of the Faith movement (*). You can read a summary thereof under the heading "Analogy Through the Human Being" here:

http://www.faith.org.uk/article/september-october-2008-the-holy-trinity-in-the-catechism-and-holloway

(*) Names which will ring strong dissonances in the ears of deniers of biological evolution.

Thanks Johannes!

Reason for my question is for purpose of conversation with atheists.  I can explain that we desire or aspire to the transcendentals, e.g., truth, beauty, etc., because that is something we all have experienced in our lives.  But to make a statement such as the “greatest operations of spirit are to love and to know,” would certainly draw an objection, or at least, a “how do you arrive at that?”

3/23/2018 9:48 am  #112

Guys,

I’m talking to an atheist relative (Dave) and can use some guidance here.   The last convo I had with him went like this...

Dave was holding a bottle as we were talking about the necessity of a Being, not just to bring things into existence but, sustain them in existence. Dave said, “are you telling me that this empty plastic bottle is being kept in existence by God right now?” I said, of course, and went through this explanation:

We started with the premise that a thing can not be changing (or in motion) without an other causing it to change, and then I said,

1. The bottle is changing because you recognize that it is in the process of decay, given sufficient time, even though your senses do not observe that; he conceded this;
2. In fact, the bottle is in motion or changing — just to be in existence — as we speak; because it is composed of molecules, the components of which are atoms;
3. Within atoms, change is occurring because the components of each atom are neutrons, protons and electrons, and physicists tell us they are literally in motion; he agreed;
4. And within those atomic components are sub-components such as quarks, leptons and other things such as antimatter or antiparticles; and those are also in motion;
5. Science tells us these are fundamental particles; but my argument will not change if science discovers matter even “more fundamental”;
6. We know these subatomic particles are kept in motion and interact with each other through certain forces known as fundamental forces, i.e., gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong forces (even science one day discover forces “more fundamental,” the argument isn’t affected);
7. So, Dave, what is causing these fundamental forces to be here and acting right now? Something has to be causing them to be in motion (our initial premise).
His response: “Nature is causing the forces to act because that’s just how things are.” My reply was “You wouldn’t accept that as an answer to all the prior steps. Instead we searched for a rational explanation for each step. But when you got to the end of the chain, you stop searching for a rational answer.”

I’ll be talking to him again in a couple of days.  But before I do, is there an error or missing step in my reasoning above?

3/23/2018 6:53 pm  #113

What is "nature"? It's just an abstraction; nature is just how we describe all these substances and events, including the motion involved in the fundamental forces. Either a physical thing is changing - like all physical things seem to be - or they are not changing. If they change, they can't be the foundation and source for everything else. The main gist of the proof from motion is that only an actual being can actualize another thing's potential. What is purely potential can't actualize anything. A potential mirror cannot reflect light to another mirror, only an actual mirror can reflect light. A potential lightbulb cannot produce light, only an actual one can.

So with respect to existence, only something which is actual can actualize something else. But if that something is not pure act, but rather something else whose existence is just a potential which is actualized, then obviously its own existence (actualization of its potential to exist) will depend on something else, already actual, which actualizes it. And so on. But this series can't proceed to infinity, otherwise there would be no actual beings right now; an actualizer A can only actualize B if it is first actual, but if what actualizes A itself needs to be actualized, then the actualizing of A will be postponed ad infinitum, and in being continuously postponed it will never happen. But A *is* actual. So there must be a first actualizer which didn't need to be actualized by anything else; in other words, its existence is not the case of a potential existence which is/was actualized, its existence was never (even conceptually) merely "potential" in the first place, it was always actual with no potency whatsoever, no potency for non-existence. So we have to conclude the existence of a being which is just pure act, entirely different from all other things, which is responsible for their existence.

Fundamental forces are not a good candidate for this purely actual actualizer. Firstly, because all physical beings appear to us as mixtures of act/potency; why would another physical being somehow be pure act? This being who is Pure Act must be entirely different from all others. It's just not plausible that it is physical. Secondly, because this being is Pure Act, it cannot undergo change. It has no potency to be actualized. It just always was pure existence, pure act of being. So it has to be outside of time; but then physical beings are never timeless. Thirdly: I am no expert in physics, and other posters may correct me on this one. But to my knowledge, talk of "fundamental forces" isolated from actual physical beings, like fundamental particles, is just an abstraction. It's jus how we describe specific physical phenomena. But this purely actual actualizer cannot be an abstract thing, like a law of nature or something like that, because abstract thigs do not *cause* or *actualize* anything. The number 2 p, or an equation, for example, doesn't cause the existence of anything.  Laws of nature merely *describe* phenomena involving actual objects and properties. We are, however, looking for a being which is concrete (meaning capable of causing things) and Pure Act. The fundamental forces are not a plausible candidate.

And so you can continue deriving other divine attributes. You may check other threads about this.

Someone else can help, too. I think it's fine like this.

Last edited by Miguel (3/23/2018 7:01 pm)

3/23/2018 9:51 pm  #114

@ joewaked

Hmmmm, the premises seem plausible to me. Nonetheless, given that Dave denies the PSR then I think your response works. I will add that if anyone denies the PSR then they can might as well reject philosophy and rationality. Let me quote Alexander Pruss from his "The Leibnizian Cosmological Argument" paper, "Is it morally acceptable to redirect a speeding trolley from a track on which there are five people onto track with only one person. On the other hand, it is not right to shoot one innocent person to save five. What is the morally relevant difference between the two cases? If we denied the PSR, then we could simply say: 'Who cares? Both of these moral facts are just brute facts, with no explanation.' Why, indeed, suppose that there should be some explanation of the difference in moral evaluation if we accept the denial of the PSR, and hence accept that there can be facts with no explanation at all? Almost all moral theorists accept the supervenience of the moral on the nonmoral. But without the PSR, would we really have reason to accept that? We could simply suppose brute contingent facts. In this world, torture is wrong. In that world, exactly alike in every other respect, torture is a duty. Why? No reason, just a contingent brute fact. The denial of the PSR, thus, would bring much philosophical argumentation to a standstill."

3/24/2018 5:53 pm  #115

Thanks for the feedback guys.

If Dave asks, “Are you saying that God is immediately moving (or causing) the 4 fundamental forces?”  (i.e., is there anything “in between” the 4 forces and God?)

What’s the appropriate response that I should give?

3/24/2018 7:07 pm  #116

I think the answer will depend on what the fundamental forces are. As I said, I could be wrong and if I am I'd like someone who knows more physics to correct me, but it is my understanding that what we call the fundamental forces is just an abstraction. It's how we describe and explain physical phenomena. What would a law of nature be? Is it something floating around which directly causes things to happen? No. Laws of nature don't actually "cause" anything; equations don't "cause" physical objects; numbers and abstract concepts don't cause or explain the existence of a concrete object. The four fundamental forces are just abstractions which describe generalized phenomena which happens/follows physical objects. So it's not like God is causing fundamental forces which cause things; in my understanding, God (a concrete, purely actual actualizer) is actualizing/giving existence (and keeping in existence) all beings whose potency for existence needs to be actualized. Among those beings are physical ones, and it is in the nature of these beings that they will operate in certain specific ways. These physical beings are structured in such a way that they operate in a specific fashion; a struck match will produce fire and not ice by virtue of its own formal structure. From these phenomena, the way these beings operate, we can derive generalized conceptions of laws which describe how they work, we can therefore talk about fundamental forces etc. But these are abstractions.

(If you read Aquinas, think of the concept of final causality and immanent teleology)

The main thing is that there must be a being whose existence needs no actualizing, a being who just is pure act, pure existence, in order to actualize all changing beings.

(The fact that this Purely Actual being actualizes things in an orderly fashion, thus keeping in existence a panoply of beings which ultimately form a regular, harmonious system such as ours, from which we can derive laws of physics etc., can be a good argument for the contention that this Purely Actual being is an intelligence, and acts with purpose)

If however we take the four fundamental forces to be concrete beings, causally effective, and not as abstractions, then if they are not purely actual (and they aren't good candidates for a purely actual being, for the reasons I said in my previous post) then of course, being mixtures of act/potency, they will have to be ultimately actualized by a being who is Pure Act. Could there be other beings in between these fundamental forces and God? Yeah. But that's besides the point. The point is that the existence of changing beings requires the existence of a being which is unchanging and unchangeable, a being who is Pure Act in order to actualize all changing beings without needing to be actualized himself. A cup, a person, a flower -- all are changing beings, mixtures of act and potency whose existence isn't purely actual, and so must ultimately be actualized by a being who is Pure Act. An infinite regress of beings which are not pure act would not suffice, since each could only actualize another if it were already actual, but then in an infinite regress as I said the actualization of every member would keep getting postponed forever, and no being would be actual, which is absurd.

3/24/2018 7:11 pm  #117

If he backs down and says it's all just an unexplainable brute fact, pressure him that indeed he was willing to seek for a rational explanation in every step; why thereby stop the search for a rational explanation? And how could it be possible for beings which are not purely actual to exist if there is no actualizer whose existence itself is just pure act?

If needed, you can also give the argument from experiende for the principle of causality. Or for the principle of sufficient reason (Feser gives many arguments for PSR in the first part of the "rationalist proof" in five proofs)

3/24/2018 11:35 pm  #118

I appreciate the time you put into this Miguel.  It’s terrifically helpful. 

I had not thought of the forces as abstractions, so if there are board members who can illuminate this subject further for us, I would very much welcome their input.

In any event, I have not had the conversation with him re act/potency — in those terms.  I’ve been a bit slow to do that because this is his first experience with “philosophical” concepts (he asked me once, “what does philosophy mean?”).   I think it’s time to wade into those waters.  Till now, I’ve been trying to keep the discussion at a “practical” or experiential level and not have it sound esoteric to him.  Does that make sense?

4/01/2018 12:23 pm  #119

The category of act/potency is not strictly necessary for these discussions, even though it is one way to frame the argument (as I did) and it can be useful. Essence/existence is another way; the difference between *what* a thing is and *that* it is. Or even just contingent (things which could've failed to exist and therefore need an explanation) versus necessary beings, or dependent/conditioned beings x an independent being or being whose existence is inconditional. It's up to you to choose what you're most comfortable with or find strongest.

The point is to show that everything which exists now can only be because there is a being whose existence is completely necessary and independent. It has self-existence; it is purely actual; its essence just is existence; it is necessary; etc etc. And the "fundamental forces" or even any laws are not good candidates for that, since they are (I believe) mere abstractions which describe the way physical beings operate. We need a necessary being who is *concrete*, in the sense that it is causally effective, so it can explain the existence of contingent/dependent/essenceexistencedistinct/actpotencydistinct beings. The number 2, or an equation, or any purely abstract thint (like a law of nature) doesn't "cause" or explain the existence of anything.

And even the most basic fundamental particles we know seem like they could've failed to exist or exist differently, and/or are dependent (quarks for instance can never exist in isolation, they always must be conjoined to other quarks), etc. Physical things would not be a good candidate at all.

Then you can just keep arguing for the attributes of the necessary being/pure act/being whose essence is existence/independent etc. It has to exist by a necessity of its own nature, being completely self-sufficient for its existence; it must obviously be eternal; it cannot be immaterial for what has been said. It must have power to create things/cause their existence, so it's not a mere abstraction. We may also say it must be infinite, because if it weren't then it would be really mysterious why it would have to be limited to X or Y degree (another reason for being immaterial, we might add).

We may also say it is intelligent/personal. Because the universe/things it actualizes or causes isn't just any universe. It is a well ordered universe with rational physical laws, a moral landscape, conscious agents with the opportunity to learn and develop science, practice moral virtues etc; we'd understand why, and thus have reasons to expect, a personal creator would actualize such a universe instead of one with no order no people etc. So it makes it plausible that the necessary being is personal and intelligent.

Another reason is the contingency of the effects. If the necessary being, the being whose essence just is existence, had to *necessarily* create something, then that something would be necessary too, since what follows necessarily from a necessary being is also necessary. But us, the universe, etc, is contingent. So the first cause/necessary being is not a deterministic cause, but must have freedom - it creates by free will. If responds that it could be an impersonal indeterministic cause, then we may answer as follows: The suggestion of its being an indeterministic, impersonal cause would be problematic however, since then presumably it would have a X% probability to create contingent things. But what could even fix that probability? And why exactly (say) 0,7 but not 0,7001? So then the best explanation is that the first cause/necessary being is a personal cause who freely creates; it is not determined to create, and it also doesn't create by means of an impersonal stochastic process. (See Rasmussen)

You can then add Feser's other arguments in Five Proofs, etc.

Last edited by Miguel (4/01/2018 12:24 pm)

4/01/2018 2:06 pm  #120

Miguel, I’m copying and pasting your last post into my iPhone notes!   THAT was a great comprehensive overview. 

There is one more question that I’m curious about.   When I do speak of the physical forces, i.e., the 4 Fundamental Forces of nature, can I say that immediately “behind” them is the “Finger of God” — assuming there is nothing else underlying or preceding  them?

I have noticed that the more you fellas explain metaphysics and such, the more I am grasping and understanding.   Even when we go over material repeatedly.  Actually — I would add — especially when we discuss repeatedly. 

So, I would like to encourage you to keep at this with newer guys like me.  It’s working.   This board, along with Dr.  Feser’s work, have been godsends.   

I wish everyone here a Blessed Easter and Christ is Risen!

Last edited by joewaked (4/01/2018 2:07 pm)

Board footera