Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2018 3:21 pm  #1

Non-Thomist Divine Simplicity

Hello folks,

When the summer comes I plan to embark on an intense course of DS related reading. As DS is central to classic theism and currently faces several very strong objections it would be invaluable to have an overview of the different account of simplicity and the problems they face. I am particularly interested in non-Thomist accounts of the theory (even amongst Thomist inspired modern accounts there is great variation).

The most obvious alternative accounts are those of Scotus and Gregory Palamas which I have material ear-marked for. Any other suggestions for books and articles would be most appreciated however.

3/31/2018 5:41 pm  #2

Re: Non-Thomist Divine Simplicity

DanielCC wrote:

As DS is central to classic theism and currently faces several very strong objections it would be invaluable to have an overview of the different account of simplicity and the problems they face.

What kind of objections?

3/31/2018 8:51 pm  #3

I still don't see how the divine can be both "omnino simplex" and "trinum." 

4/01/2018 5:02 am  #4

FrenchySkepticalCatholic wrote:

DanielCC wrote:

As DS is central to classic theism and currently faces several very strong objections it would be invaluable to have an overview of the different account of simplicity and the problems they face.

What kind of objections?

Divine beliefs, extrinsic properties and the lack. These objections are fairly welknown.

ficino wrote:

I still don't see how the divine can be both "omnino simplex" and "trinum." 

Not a Christian so not really my area of interest.

4/02/2018 7:39 pm  #5

I'm very interested in your reasons, Daniel, for not being a Christian. Have you posted them on here? If so, can you link the post, and if not, would you care to summarize your reasons?

A colleague is a committed pagan in the ancient sense, in line with Proclus' construction of neo-Platonism.

Cheers, f

Board footera