Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2018 12:41 pm  #11

Re: Jesus Christ

Hypatia wrote:

Due_Kindheartedness wrote:

Hypatia wrote:

I'm suspicious of anyone who tries as hard as Mythicists do to twist the historical evidence to fit a pet theory rather than letting it speak for itself. It's just bad scholarship.

Mythicism is becoming more popular among people though. Most people don't know that Jordan Peterson is probably a mythicist and there are Christians who are saying that he's one of those "sincere seekers of the truth." WTF?

Yes, I noticed that about Jordan Peterson recently, but I think it's more an element of his Jungian approach than anything else. If everything is a matter of psychological archetypes, then the historical question disappears into a mess of images and motifs.

I think Mythicism is if anything less popular than it used to be--it's no longer the trendy, daring hyper-skeptical option that it once was. Now you just look like a fringe conspiracy theorist with a minimal understanding of how history works.

Also mythicism used to hold a more prominent position among amacademics from the late 19th to early 20th century. It falling away in the late 20th century, and now being seen as insane by the 21st century is a testament to how shallow of a theory it is.

12/23/2018 4:43 pm  #12

Re: Jesus Christ

History is a very bad field because history is a collective story you tell to yourself. It is much worse than economics. Nobody is unbiased when it comes to history because everyone has an emotional investment in the story they want to live by. I believe atheists have an emotional investment in rebutting Christianity so they're going to approach the NT era by that perspective. Meanwhile, Jesus Christ is accepted by Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists who have no emotional investment whatsoever with respect to Christianity.

Last edited by Due_Kindheartedness (12/23/2018 4:45 pm)

Board footera