Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2015 1:01 pm  #11

Re: Good Criticism of materialism

@Scott
I agree when I saw that the book endorsed Intelligent Design I got a bit cautious as I really dislike the Intelligent Design movement and like Dr. Feser thinks it does more harm than good.(Why else do gnus only seem to attack Payley's watchmaker argument rather than the real teleological argument)

10/06/2015 1:21 pm  #12

AKG wrote:

(Why else do gnus only seem to attack Payley's watchmaker argument rather than the real teleological argument)

Well, also because they don't understand it in any other terms than Payley's.

Doesn't Hume simmilarly construe the argument a century before, stating it as:

Look around the world: Contemplate the whole and every part of it: You will find it to be nothing but one great machine, subdivided into an infinite number of lesser machines… All these various machines, and even their most minute parts, are adjusted to each other with an accuracy, which ravishes into admiration all men, who have ever contemplated them. The curious adapting of means to ends, exceeds the productions of human contrivance; of human design, thought, wisdom, and intelligence. Since, therefore the effects resemble each other, we are led to infer, by all the rules of analogy, that the causes also resemble; and that the Author of nature is somewhat similar to the mind of man; though possessed of much larger faculties, proportioned to the grandeur of the work, which he has executed.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

10/06/2015 9:06 pm  #13

Yes, I'm aware that Dr. Feser argues against ID theory and I'm not an ID theorist. However, there are some ideas (perhaps I should have said "ideas" instead of "arguments") that Menuge brings into the book that Dr. Feser uses and can be used against materialist. For example, denying reasoning leads to the self-refutation of the eliminative materialist's own argumentation.    

Board footera