Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2016 4:29 am  #1

Infinite Past

I know that the KCA argument is not very popular among classical theism but how viable do you guys find the claim that the past is finite as argued in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6O6O3fUaTQ
One comment replied this 
(Quentin Smith quote) ". . .virtually every single mathematician, virtually every single physicist, and virtually every single philosopher believes there's nothing at all wrong with the arithmetic of infinity or applying it to the real world. There's only a tiny handful of people like Bill Craig, and Whitrow, and one or two others who actually try and find problems with it, and it’s simply not at all prevalent, not at all a standardly accepted view in contemporary thinking."
but the maker of the video replied with this "I wasn't arguing that an actual infinity simpliciter is impossible, in this video."
I don't know too much in order to evaluate the claims made, so which side do you guys find more convincing

1/23/2016 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Infinite Past

I myself am at a loss to understand what sense it makes to claim "an infinite number of moments have completed to bring us to now". How possible?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera