Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2017 12:47 pm  #1

Proclean henads and divinity

I've been reading Proclus lately, and I find that many aspects of his thought are extremely profound and really dovetail with the sort of emanationist mysticism described in the Kabbalistic texts. The only really vexing issue that I have with his theology is his identification of the henads with the gods. Obviously, the henads are clearly distinct from the Ultimate Unity (to hen), which is itself the final cause of the henads, in that while their existence is contingent upon to hen, to hen itself exists necessarily. So on what basis ought we to worship the henads, rather than to hen? On the basis that they're the most divine emanations? Why should that confer upon them divinity?

Maybe I'm just missing the boat, but I really struggle with the concept of a contingency being worshipped, whatever its level vis a vis to hen. We have a bunch of neo Platonists here, so maybe you can clarify this for me.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

4/04/2017 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Proclean henads and divinity

*cough*

4/04/2017 9:54 pm  #3

Might we allow for degrees of veneration?

4/05/2017 2:27 am  #4

I wrote a reply to this earlier, but lost it. Ugh.

I agree with your view of Proclus. I prefer him even to Plotinus.

I don't recall Proclus' exact views on this subject, but I think our Proclus is correct. It is much like the Christian distinction between the veneration due to saints and icons compared to the worship due to God alone. We venerate saints and icons and through them God. And the gods in Platonism (aa in Hinduism) serve the same purpose. They act as intermedaries between the One and man.

There is danger in this perspective, of course. We can comr to worship the intermedary in its own right. But it does help create a bridge between the (for many people) intimidatingly transcendent One. It can also help to divinise all creation, showing its total reliance a d reflection on God, and the need to seek him in and through all things. Sometimes the opposing view of strict monotheism can seem to make God too abstract and to ignore his immanence.

Board footera