Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2017 1:26 pm  #1

Best arguments for God's existence?

I'm always interested to see what people come up with. Considering the nature of this forum, I expect some will be familiar to me--but I'm open to surprises. 

5/08/2017 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Best arguments for God's existence?

I wrote the following response to this question in 2015 and still agree with the general overview.

http://classicaltheism.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1939#p1939

It is possible to generate a powerful argument for God (or more accurately for an Omniscient, Omnipotent being) given the Powers Theory of Modality. Alexander Pruss gives a nice summary of said argument here. Interestingly such an argument is very similar to the modal Cosmological Argument of Duns Scotus

I would also hold the Moral Argument to be exceedingly powerful. Unfortunately despite being common parlance a couple of centuries ago I feel it has yet to receive its most vigorous formulation (part of the problem for this is tension with most existing ethical theories such as Natural Law and maybe the Christian notion of Grace).

Last edited by DanielCC (5/09/2017 3:48 am)

5/08/2017 10:22 pm  #3

I actually think the ontological argument is quite powerful.

The fine tuning argument (FTA) is also quite convincing.

I agree that the moral argument should receive considerably more press than it does.

5/08/2017 11:00 pm  #4

Proclus wrote:

I actually think the ontological argument is quite powerful.

The fine tuning argument (FTA) is also quite convincing.

I agree that the moral argument should receive considerably more press than it does.

What is your favorite formulation of the moral argument? I'm primarily familiar with William Lane Craig's. 

Board footera