Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2018 12:14 pm  #11

Re: Is there any hope for atheism as a philosophical position?

1- I agree a view close to Spinoza's would be better than a brute fact. But this suffers from some of the same problems I pointed out, and which have been pointed out before by numerous people (e.g. Samuel Clarke, Leibniz, etc). A) necessitarianism heavily conflicts with all our intuitions and we can conceive of different universes, different particles, different rearrangements, no trees, etc; B) again one may bring teleology into the picture, as does Samuel Clarke, and point out the order in dependent beings. Sure, in principle the spinozist could say it is a necessary fact, but it doesn't actually remove the mystery surrounding such order if it is the product of an impersonal being; C) on its face, Spinoza's defense of things as different modes of God just makes no sense. I don't see how one could sustain necessitarianism given that these "different modes" clearly seem to change and experience corruption, arguments from essence/existence apply here too, etc; D) proportional causality considering the presence of intellect and rationality

(Like you, I think the soul is a very useful way in bridging the "gap problem")

There will be further difficulties: libertarian free will is incompatible with it. Of course, hard determinists won't care, but if someone is convinced of libertarian fw on independent grounds (I personally think it's the only position that seems true, for instance), then the necessary universe option won't be acceptable. There is also the problem with objective morality. I think that once we grant Spinoza's basic contentions about necessary nature, it becomes hard to avoid his other theses, including his ethics. But if you're familiar with Spinoza's ethics, you'll know that it's a mess and he equates rights with power. He tries to give it a humanistic appearance, but it has some notorious issues.

I also think that 9 and 10 would come to bear here. You may find religious experience to be a weak argument (I actually think it's quite stronger than it has been presented before) but taken in a cumulative case they become stronger. If anything, theistic religious experiences (and most religious experiences in general, which feature subjectivity) and miracles give an edge for theism against necessary universe.

Then there's the problem of why one would accept necessary universe by assuming Van Inwagen's argument works. We actually have reasons for thinking an explanans need not entail its explanandum, and may have reasons for accepting contingent self-explanatory facts in terms of free actions. And finally, Spinozism is *not* atheism; it is pantheism. Even if somehow all the previous issues were to be solved, I don't see how one can accept necessitarianism without committing oneself to Spinoza's main views, and Spinozism is not atheism, it is pantheism.

As far as infinite regresses go, I don't think it's an open option at all. If one takes Maitzen's view, I don't think it would work for a regress in an essentially ordered series of causes, but I don't even think it would work for leibnizian/clarkian questions, and not just for Valicella's point but also because I don't see contingent beings as irrelevant dummy sortals at all, and on its face the suggestion of an HEC answer just violates PSR.

For consciousness, I've really been wondering about whether there's a way for atheists to avoid the "argument from consciousness" without opening themselves for classical arguments for God by accepting aristotelian solutions.

I don't have a link to Clarke's article, but it's in his "the creative retrieval of st. Thomas Aquinas". But it's pretty straightforward; if the atheist accepts that we have immaterial souls, it becomes really hard to avoid the conclusion that they've been created by God. It would require a denial of PPC. John Haldane has given similar arguments before; I personally think arguments from the soul for God can be as strong as classical cosmological arguments are. They deserve more attention.

Written too much already

Last edited by Miguel (3/03/2018 12:28 pm)

3/03/2018 12:19 pm  #12

Anyway, I agree 1, 4 and 6 are the main problems for atheism. But I've included all these others because each of them can be problematic for atheists. If one takes all of them in an inductive case, or in an IBE argument, things don't look pretty for atheism.

I just honestly have a hard time taking atheism seriously as a philosophical position. Most of the greatest philosophers of the past have all been theists (or in any case not atheists), and I can't help but think we just pay attention to atheism because of the cultural shift in the last two centuries. If in order to be atheists we have to think the universe is either a brute fact or a necessary being, I think it's a problem. Not to mention the philosophy of mind and issues with universals, possibilia, mathematical objects etc.

It's getting hard to take it seriously.

3/03/2018 1:09 pm  #13

I think you're far too cavalier in your dismissal of the modal collapse problem. The only real way to avoid it is through an appeal to libertarian free will, but to be frank that's a dubious position that most philosophers not only find to be flat out false but additionally borderline incoherent. I mean, you see this to some extent in the various modern accounts of Aquinas's odd mixture of libertarianism / compatibilism, where it ultimately bottoms out in them admitting that the only way to preserve the true "possible alternatives" notion of choice in his position is by leaving in a certain degree of arbitrariness w.r.t. the manner in which we choose to consider the finite goodness of limited being, which is, of course, inconsistent with the PSR.

3/03/2018 1:11 pm  #14

I'm largely in agreement, really. I don't think it's a toss up between Spinoza style necessary universes and theism etc. I think an atheist has his work cut out for him if he wants to accept the extent of Aristotelianism as I explained and remain an atheist. He can't go full hog with Hylemorphism regarding consciousness otherwise he would be within the clutches of the Third Way for example.

I'm interested to see how the Fine tuning argument is affected by a powers theory of the laws of nature (Oderbergs laws of natures) and the existence of final causes.

(Whoops. Didn't see the post above! This was in response to Miguel).

Last edited by Callum (3/03/2018 1:19 pm)

3/03/2018 1:35 pm  #15

UGADawg wrote:

I think you're far too cavalier in your dismissal of the modal collapse problem. The only real way to avoid it is through an appeal to libertarian free will, but to be frank that's a dubious position that most philosophers not only find to be flat out false but additionally borderline incoherent. I mean, you see this to some extent in the various modern accounts of Aquinas's odd mixture of libertarianism / compatibilism, where it ultimately bottoms out in them admitting that the only way to preserve the true "possible alternatives" notion of choice in his position is by leaving in a certain degree of arbitrariness w.r.t. the manner in which we choose to consider the finite goodness of limited being, which is, of course, inconsistent with the PSR.

1- Normally, the modal collapse problem shouldn't even show up unless one accepts a PSR in which explanans entail explananda. Why should one accept that?

2- Necessitarianism faces serious problems from conceivability. Perhaps one can defuse them, but it's still a problem.

3- Again, how are we to make sense of necessitarianism given that different "modes" seem to undergo change and corruption? Humans haven't always existed. I have yet to see how one can square this with real necessitarianism.

4- How is necessitarianism able to account for rationality and PPC? (Perhaps some kind of panentheism, but then our souls are also contingent. there would be problems with identity too; also panentheism can have problems over how God would be determined to create the world)

5- I didn't mention it, but necessitarianism severely limits potential cosmological models of the universe, and that could be a problem.

6- I have never seen Aquinas's view as a "mixture" between libertarianism and compatibilism; I've said this before in these forums but for the life of me I cannot see how a rational will could be determined to act by a finite good, or how this would violate PSR. There is determination with regards to infite good, yes, but there also is libertarian free will for all its reasons and purposes. The idea that there is some kind of violation of PSR by such a scenario begs the question by presupposing either that an explanans must entail its explanandum, or that there can't be contingent and self-explanatory facts. If I'm mistaken, do tell.

And yeah many philosophers take libertarian free will to be either false or incoherent, but I have yet to see any decent reason for it that doesn't beg the question with regards to free actions (which is what randomness objections do). Most philosophers are also atheists and materialists but as I've been saying here, I can't even take atheism seriously (materialism even less), so an appeal to philosophers (even of action) doesn't mean much these days.

Last edited by Miguel (3/03/2018 1:39 pm)

3/03/2018 2:13 pm  #16

1 - Generally, because it's hard to see how you could have a complete explanation obtain without the explanandum obtaining as well.

2 - But that's the whole point, and in fact it's exactly what many philosophers have said: no matter how strong our intuitions are that things that exist must have explanations, our intuitions that things could be otherwise are stronger. Therefore, ~PSR.

3 - But this is because you're conflating two different perspectives on modality, i.e. the possible worlds one with the more classical one.

4 - Because possible worlds necessitarianism is completely consistent with classical theism, unless you insist classical theism must take a libertarian view on free will (which, to be clear, I find borderline incoherent as well).

6 - Well, it's how I've seen it described in several of the articles I've read. And I'm not sure what's so frightfully difficult about understanding how a finite good could entail our choice: if you have a well-behaved preference function, then, given the constraints you face, there's only going to be one option that any instrumentally rational agent would take. Re: libertarian free will, the problem is just that there's no adequate explanation for why one alternative is taken rather than another. Saying it's self-explanatory is, in my view, just a complete non-explanation. 

Edit: In fact, I'd probably say if finite goods couldn't determine our choices, I'd be very worried about whether I have free will: if I prefer a given choice to all others in a given context, and that choice is indeed within my capabilities to bring about, yet it's still possible I don't take the action, something seems to have gone amiss. 

Last edited by UGADawg (3/03/2018 2:19 pm)

3/03/2018 2:48 pm  #17

UGADawg wrote:

In fact, I'd probably say if finite goods couldn't determine our choices, I'd be very worried about whether I have free will: if I prefer a given choice to all others in a given context, and that choice is indeed within my capabilities to bring about, yet it's still possible I don't take the action, something seems to have gone amiss. 

A libertarian can presumably say that something would have to go amiss in someone who self-consciously and all-things-considered prefers A over B but chooses B. But what if there is no such preference? Does compatibilism imply that there cannot be choices between incommensurable options, or that there are no incommensurable options, or that any such choices would not be free?

It is not plausible that, if I can freely choose A when it is my preference, I cannot freely choose it when I also have the option to choose B, which is incommensurable with A.

3/03/2018 3:38 pm  #18

I mean, I don't think the notion that someone could prefer A to B, yet pick B, is even coherent, unless the relevant budget constraint allows for B and not A. In that case though, presumably, the action could still be free because A is preferred to other possible choices given the constraint. And to your latter question, insofar as something isn't subsumed into the preference function, it just isn't relevant to the choice.

Last edited by UGADawg (3/03/2018 3:45 pm)

3/03/2018 6:06 pm  #19

UGADawg wrote:

I mean, I don't think the notion that someone could prefer A to B, yet pick B, is even coherent, unless the relevant budget constraint allows for B and not A.

We are in agreement on that point, unless I misunderstand you.

UGADawg wrote:

And to your latter question, insofar as something isn't subsumed into the preference function, it just isn't relevant to the choice.

What is the 'something' here which you are thinking isn't subsumed into the preference function?

3/03/2018 9:30 pm  #20

Callum wrote:

No but I don't think the atheist has to discredit the *direct* evidence of a hypothesis (miracle, psychical whatever) in order to reject it if the prior probability is so overwhelmingly low. The direct evidence will need to be very strong to overcome the priors.

I'm not aware of the work of Braude etc so can't comment but with these issues it has to come down to the specifics. There may well be extremely strong evidence which *by itself* is enough to show materialism/naturalism/atheism Or whatever the case may be.

In most cases, some kind of hypothesis can be provided to account for the data even if another hypothesis is much more expected on the data. But if the prior probability is extremely low for the leading hypothesis, it won't be clear which one to prefer.

This is obviously a popular sceptical position, going back at least to Hume. But it usually means little more than dogmatically asserting materialism. It is hard to see why someone without an a priori commitment to materialism would accept this position. It is rightly considered the hall-mark of pseudo-scepticism.

If one tries to leave aside, as far as possible, all background metaphysical positions, I think there are clear cases where paranormal explanations seem the most plausible - the famous case of Runki's leg, for example. We cannot be certain, of course, but what have been called the normal explanations (fraud, coincidence, etc) can be ruled out, as can the abnormal ones (multiple personalities, cryptomnesia, etc).

Board footera