Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2016 11:01 pm  #1

Unhappy Richard Dawkins Day

4/01/2016 12:06 am  #2

Re: Unhappy Richard Dawkins Day

Jesus, that's still a thing?

I didn't understand this. This is obviously extra scientific ethical ideological stuff they're doing. High school students aren't taught quantum mechanics accurately, but no one organizes a day around it. Even when I was an atheist, I didn't participatepate in this celebration of Darwinism. I wanted to earn my intellectual victories, not have them handed to me by propaganda.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/01/2016 12:29 am  #3

No, today is April Fool's Day. Since Dawkins is the biggest fool there is I'm proposing that we rename it Richard Dawkins Day, a day to demonstrate how much of a fool he is. It's not an actual thing(yet).

4/01/2016 12:37 am  #4

Oooo, I forgot what day it is. You got me. :-P

There's already a Darwin day, which is what I was confused with.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/01/2016 1:08 am  #5

Oh, oh the movie "The Unbelievers," featuring Dawkins along with his buddy Krauss. An extra bonus: After watching the end credits interviews, I didn't knew whether to laugh or cry. Absolutely no Mackie, no Rowe, no Schellenberg, no Smith, no Gale, no Oppy, no Draper, no Tooley, etc. 

4/01/2016 6:43 pm  #6

Isn't the whole Dawkins and New Atheism thing on the way out? It seems to have lost much of its lustre in the last few years. Besides, there are, apparently, acrimonious internal conflicts within the movement, mostly about the place of identity politics and political correctness within the movement. ​

4/01/2016 7:13 pm  #7

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Besides, there are, apparently, acrimonious internal conflicts within the movement, mostly about the place of identity politics and political correctness within the movement. ​

Tell me more...

4/01/2016 7:41 pm  #8

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Isn't the whole Dawkins and New Atheism thing on the way out? It seems to have lost much of its lustre in the last few years. Besides, there are, apparently, acrimonious internal conflicts within the movement, mostly about the place of identity politics and political correctness within the movement. ​

Since the movement was mostly male half-autist STEM types anyway, I think those divisions are played up by the ID politics people.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

4/03/2016 2:26 am  #9

I'm not so sure. My brother is a Dawkins fan and he certainly thinks much of these divisions.

​Besides, some of the lustre of the movement came from friendly support in important sections of the left-liberal media. But much of this media is far more ambivalent to Dawkins et al these days. The Guardian isn't that much more friendly to him than they would be to Dr. Feser. It isn't just that some of the prominent New Atheists are a little sceptical of the excesses of radical feminism. It is also they are more consistent in their secularism and left-liberalism when it comes to non-white, non-Christian people, especially Muslims.

I'm a traditionalist and don't agree with many of the criticisms of Islam, but I have to admit the likes of Dawkins are at least more consistent than many left-liberals, who seem to bend over backwards to excuse behaviour in non-whites, females, and non-Christians they wouldn't in whites or males or Christians.

4/03/2016 3:13 am  #10

@Jeremy Taylor,
You're brother is a Dawkins fan? I'm sorry.

Board footera