Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2016 4:20 pm  #51

Re: William Lane Craig and Kevin Scharp | Is There Evidence for God?

KevinScharp wrote:

(which I'll take to be a supernatural cause of a natural effect), resurrection for example, then that event would have been incompatible with our best scientific theories of today

Again, how? There are no provisions in any of our best scientific theories today for the constraints on the behavior of natural things in the event of supernatural action, no more than they are falsified by either the possible or actual existence of a seperate universe in which they don't apply or a pre-history of the universe in which they didn't apply.

The implicit metaphysical assumption here seems to be that our scientific theories imply actual (rather than methodologically assumed) causal closure of a very narrow sort.

Also, conservation of mass/energy can be preserved rather simply by admitting that God would amount to an opening in the system.

Lastly, this phrase " our best scientific theories " seems to be doing a lot of work. If you mean to be importing from science metaphysical claims of all sorts then I don't see why I should defer. A bad metaphysician is still a bad metaphysician even if he wears a lab coat and gets better state grants than I do.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/15/2016 6:44 pm  #52

iwpoe wrote:

KevinScharp wrote:

(which I'll take to be a supernatural cause of a natural effect), resurrection for example, then that event would have been incompatible with our best scientific theories of today

Again, how? There are no provisions in any of our best scientific theories today for the constraints on the behavior of natural things in the event of supernatural action, no more than they are falsified by either the possible or actual existence of a seperate universe in which they don't apply or a pre-history of the universe in which they didn't apply.

Theories like general relativity and quantum field theory and conservation principles apply to all natural phenomena. They don't need clauses explicitly about events with supernatural causes. They apply to all natural phenomena. I know this because I can look at the theories. You can too.

iwpoe wrote:

The implicit metaphysical assumption here seems to be that our scientific theories imply actual (rather than methodologically assumed) causal closure of a very narrow sort.

Also, conservation of mass/energy can be preserved rather simply by admitting that God would amount to an opening in the system.

I'm not assuming any causal closure at all. I agree with you that that would be a serious metaphysical assumption independent of any scientific theory (as would reductive naturalism, which I avoid like the plague). I'm assuming only what the scientific theories themselves say. There are no exemptions for natural events with supernatural causes.

God isn't an opening in the system unless God's actions can be mathematically modeled like any other change in the system. And they can't be.

Here's the point with an example. Let time 1 be before the resurrection. Let time 2 be after the resurrection. Conservation principles say that, given the way the world (i.e., the entirety of natural phenomena) is at time 1, it has to be a certain way at time 2. If the resurrection occurred between those two events, then the world is not the way predicted by the conservation principle at time 2. So resurrection is incompatible with the conservation principle.

iwpoe wrote:

Lastly, this phrase " our best scientific theories " seems to be doing a lot of work. If you mean to be importing from science metaphysical claims of all sorts then I don't see why I should defer. A bad metaphysician is still a bad metaphysician even if he wears a lab coat and gets better state grants than I do.

I agree with you that importing obvious metaphysical assumptions that are independent of scientific theories is illicit. I don't think that's what I'm doing.

4/15/2016 7:33 pm  #53

KevinScharp wrote:

Theories like general relativity and quantum field theory and conservation principles apply to all natural phenomena. They don't need clauses explicitly about events with supernatural causes. They apply to all natural phenomena. I know this because I can look at the theories. You can too.

This is purely methodological device. And this is your position if there is nothing over and beyond this, it is your conception of what science is.

KevinScharp wrote:

My position here is neutral on scientific realism. All I'm assuming is that there are scientific theories (e.g., general relativity, quantum field theory, evolutionary theory, plate tectonics), and that certain ones have colossal amounts of evidence for them (enough to make me believe that I'm moving at about 700 miles per hour toward the East right now). I'm assuming nothing about natural laws -- not even that there are any. I agree that on some conceptions of natural laws, true scientific theories would be (or express?) natural laws. I have no idea whether our best scientific theories of today are true. And it doesn't matter to my case whether they are true. All that matters for my purposes is that they have tons of evidence for them. If God had performed a miracle (which I'll take to be a supernatural cause of a natural effect), resurrection for example, then that event would have been incompatible with our best scientific theories of today (e.g., conservation of mass/energy). So that would mean that conservation of mass/energy is a false scientific theory. And so it would tell us nothing about the natural laws. So I'm not committed to miracles being violations of natural laws (which I take to be a good thing).

KevinScharp wrote:

Here's the point with an example. Let time 1 be before the resurrection. Let time 2 be after the resurrection. Conservation principles say that, given the way the world (i.e., the entirety of natural phenomena) is at time 1, it has to be a certain way at time 2. If the resurrection occurred between those two events, then the world is not the way predicted by the conservation principle at time 2. So resurrection is incompatible with the conservation principle.

Constructing a certain theory that doesn't take into account the intervention and prevention of supernatural causes wouldn't violate the theory, it only means that for its methodological purposes, it leaves those things out. There seems to be no such contradiction here, despite you trying to demonstrate one. That doesn't mean there isn't more to reality, or that there couldn't be. 

Let me put it another way, is your position dependent on the fact that we cannot know anything about the world or have direct access to it? You sitting on the fence isn't a justifiable position unless you do indeed argue for some sort of anti-realism. There's no specific reason to accept your conception of science (which is reduced to methodological assumptions about reality), but even if we did, there would be nothing contradictory about it. If miracles ever occur, and can be established as a possibility in our ontology as suspension of said-laws effect on which scientific thesis's depend for their continuity, there is no reason to talk of 'giving up' anything that is originally owed to the natural world. It would only mean that there is a faucet of the world that isn't natural. So in short, no, I don't understand what you mean.

Why you think that something like an intervention by God is a direct violation of our predictions is beyond me. The supernaturalist is predicting things in nature when left to their original devices, discarding the fact that supernatural occurrences can happen, which is seriously a matter of ontology. This is to be expected, rather than to say, "This violates our theory." We should say, "We didn't usually predict this sort of intervention and only ruled it out for methodological purposes, if such a thing happens. So it happens." The supernaturalist is simply unmoved by this, again, whether miracles could occur or not, is a matter of ontology.

Last edited by Dennis (4/15/2016 7:53 pm)

4/15/2016 8:09 pm  #54

Some people are starting to go in circles.

It's worth drawing the distinction between deism and concurrentism, Kevin. Deism says that God created the world, but doesn't need to conserve it in existence. It also says that after God creates the world, everything can operate through purely non-God causes. Concurrentism says that natural objects have real, built-in causal power, but that it can't be exercised for even a moment unless God “concurs” with such exercise as cooperating cause.[1]

I think that if deism is right, your argument succeeds. 

Suppose, however, that concurrentism is right. If concurrentism is right, there is no reason to think that (say) Newton's second law would force its way through in miraculous cases. God could just withhold his consent from whatever natural effects would have otherwise occurred.[2]

I think this is why Christians seem so puzzlingly puzzled by your argument. They're concurrentists.

[1]There is also occasionalism. Occasionalism is the view that God, not the sun, melts my ice cream. Occasionalism is absurd.
[2]Our scientific theories might be perfectly accurate descriptions of how things operate when God concurs (e.g. powers theorists would say the behavior and effects associated with our best scientific theories otherwise occur normally as a result of created entities' natures).

4/15/2016 9:08 pm  #55

John West wrote:

I think this is why Christians seem so puzzlingly puzzled by your argument. They're concurrentists.

I suspect Kevin is just going to say that the deism/concurrentism distinction relates to causes and (perhaps) natural laws, while he cares about scientific theories and generalizations. The generalizations are false if they do not describe how the world evolves from t1 to t2.

He infers that one would have to give up the scientific theories if a miracle occurred. I reject that inference, because I have a view of how scientific theories relate to laws and causes. (That said, even on pretty standard philosophies of science, a single counterexample wouldn't be a reason to give up a theory. The counterexample would generally have to be repeatable and a replacement theory would have to be available.) And while he would like to avoid saying anything about natural laws, there's no reason the theist has to share those shackles, for which reason I think the theist in response only has to provide his model of natural law and divine action.

But it seems to me like even a deist could make such an appeal.

4/16/2016 3:45 am  #56

KevinScharp wrote:

They don't need clauses explicitly about events with supernatural causes. They apply to all natural phenomena.

Why not? Supposing such things occur, why wouldn't they need such clauses?

Why should we even suppose that a natural thing affected by a supernatural cause is even a natural phenomenon in any case?

KevinScharp wrote:

If that's how you'd like to think science functions, then in that case, oh well, the conservation principle is to be thrown out.

-shrug-

I wouldn't throw it out, but I don't think about science like you do. I think this is basically the same point Greg is making above, but I'll belabor it anyway.

Now, to channel Kuhn's gost for a moment, what would actually happen is that the anomaly would be ignored or dismissed, but that's methodological / sociological, not metaphysical.

As far as I can tell, unless you want to strengthen it, your claim that miracles are incompatible with our best scientific theories turns out to be trivial. Since you insist you want to make no metaphysical conclusions, the whole argument is weak. It amounts to little but saying that "our best theories don't talk about God."

So what if they don't? To speak in a rough historical generality, scientific methodology has specifically and very early stipulated that it won't consider such. I am in no way surprised they don't. Some scientists could start adding such clauses with little loss of practical predictive power because the matter in discussion seems to be arcane.

This is why I've pushed you on making metaphysical claims. If you don't want to outright come out and say:

'What our best theories don't provide for can't actually exist.'

or the epistemological:

'We cannot know what our best present theories don't provide for.'

or even some merely ethical demand:

'We cannot, in principle, consider admitting any possibility that our best theories don't provide for.'

or some more dignified and easier to defend derrivative idea, then all you seem to have is the merely rhetorical and philosophically rather boring:

A. Science is high prestige.
B. Religious thought speaks of something that the sciences don't provide for.
C. You want to go along with science don't you?

To which I answer, no, I'm a, as you call it, "critical thinker" about metaphysics. I don't care to go along with a consensus just because it's a consensus once I'm considering metaphysical matters. That you would like to add some din about the consensis being "well supported" is also of no beaing on the matter unless you want to make a stronger claim. It seems just to be another form of A.

Perhaps this is all an artifact of trying to rebut Craig's claim that God is the best explaination of the existence of anything, but whatever immediate philosophical power it had specifically against Craig won't hold up once you force Craig to get off the podium and suss out the whole issue metaphysically.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

4/16/2016 8:29 am  #57

iwpoe wrote:

KevinScharp wrote:

They don't need clauses explicitly about events with supernatural causes. They apply to all natural phenomena.

Why not? Supposing such things occur, why wouldn't they need such clauses?

This isn't controversial. You can just look at the theory and see that it has no such clauses. Look for yourself.
And, you can't just "suppose" that there are supernatural entities in a debate about whether supernatural entities exist. That's precisely the point at issue. The fact is that our best scientific theories have no such clauses. Many have no restrictions on their application at all (like general relativity and quantum field theory -- that's a necessary condition for them to be incompatible, by the way). To pretend like these theories have such clauses is really the wrong path. There has to be a better option for you.

4/16/2016 8:49 am  #58

Dennis wrote:

This is purely methodological device. And this is your position if there is nothing over and beyond this, it is your conception of what science is.

Sorry, I don't understand at all. Can you elaborate or try to explain it in another way please?

4/16/2016 8:51 am  #59

KevinScharp wrote:

This isn't controversial. You can just look at the theory and see that it has no such clauses. Look for yourself.
And, you can't just "suppose" that there are supernatural entities in a debate about whether supernatural entities exist. That's precisely the point at issue. The fact is that our best scientific theories have no such clauses. Many have no restrictions on their application at all (like general relativity and quantum field theory -- that's a necessary condition for them to be incompatible, by the way). To pretend like these theories have such clauses is really the wrong path. There has to be a better option for you.

That the meaning of a scientific statement can be immediately be read off of scientists' statements of the theory is itself a controversial thesis in the philosophy of science. Pragmatists, for instance, wouldn't think so, and the existence of a unpredictable phenomenon 2000 years ago would not, on their terms, require rejection of a theory, if the theory remains effective today in generating predictions.

Other interpretations of scientific statements are possible (and might be more piecemeal and less radical than pragmatism). It is entirely open to the philosopher to argue that scientific laws include tacit clauses or have implicit but restricted domains of application; pointing to scientists' statements of the theories no more refutes iwpoe than it would refute the pragmatist.

4/16/2016 8:53 am  #60

iwpoe wrote:

Why should we even suppose that a natural thing affected by a supernatural cause is even a natural phenomenon in any case?

I think there's an obvious answer to this, which is -- the phenomena in question (e.g., the physical particles and cells and organs that make up the body of Jesus) are things one finds in nature and things that anyone would group with all the other natural phenomena. Did the particles and cells and organs in Jesus's body stop being particles and cells and organs? If not, then they're natural. If they did stop being those things, then I don't know what we're talking about any more.

Last edited by KevinScharp (4/16/2016 8:53 am)

Board footera