Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2018 8:23 am  #101

Re: Specified geographical location as a requisite of causation?

You've said that trope bundle theory is simpler than blob nominalism. In that case, there must be another alternative. Because my view is simpler than trope bundle theory.

Perhaps both trope bundle theory and blob nominalism are parsimonious par excellence

It's, however, not clear that blob nominalism is more parsimonious than trope bundle theory (and, when we get to the problem of universals, I think you're going to really dislike some of the moves non-ostrich blob nominalists have to make to avoid contradiction.)

But you've said that trope bundle theory is simpler than blob nominalism. And if I now say "minus the tropes" are you going to say that that is blob nominalism, and so blob nominalism is both more and less parsimonious than trope bundle theory?

Well, a couple things. First, a lot (a majority, I think) of trope bundle theorists reduce the bundling relation (e.g. Campbell, Simons). Second, if you adopt trope bundle theory, remove the bundling relation, and then remove the tropes, you're left with nothing. So, yes. It's more parsimonious, but, well, not in a good way.

3/25/2018 8:32 am  #102

I'm (unfortunately) going to have to step away from this conversation for (at least) a few weeks. I promise that when I come back I will reply (even if I have to resurrect the thread).

3/25/2018 11:37 am  #103

surroundx wrote:

I'm more certain that only particulars exist, than I am that propositional content does not exist. In part because, not using the term myself, I leave it for others to define "propositional content". I don't want to define it as entailing universals, and then have some strict particularist come alone and say "I believe in propositional content, you have no right to define it as entailing universals".

surroundx wrote:

I'd say your thought is more of the form "abcxyz", where those letters represent more basic thoughts. Some or all of which may be innate to the brain through evolutionary selection. However, my intention is not so much to stake out any particular account of mentality, but rather to illustrate the significant number of particular-only possibilities around so that invoking universals is an unjustified leap past models that might be seen to rid one of some kind of significance. I have also raised the issue affecting UPC of explaining how people think fallaciously if valid inference is innate in the causal potency thoughts.

Something has propositional content if it is specified by a proposition. That's all it means. I'm thinking now that the Eiffel Tower is in France; the thought is picked out by reference to a proposition. (It is perhaps also possible simply to think of some object, say the Eiffel Tower.) The question of whether thoughts have propositional content is thus separable from any particular account of how thoughts or anything else can have propositional content. I would think that universals enter in at the second stage, if at all.

Denying that thoughts have propositional content seems tantamount to denying that there are thoughts (or, at least, that much of what we call thoughts are thoughts, if one thinks thoughts can simply have a singular object). I don't at all understand the suggestion that my thought has the form "abcxyz". I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. If that is supposed to be an alternative​ to saying that thoughts have propositional content (as your "more of" suggests), then I am not sure how it could be. For if the suggestion is that my thought that the Eiffel Tower is in France​ (the thought under discussion) has the form "abcxyz", then the theory is still picking out my thought by way of its propositional content, and it is hard to see how it could do otherwise, since otherwise you cannot say which thought has the form "abcxyz".

​Perhaps that wasn't your ambition, and you rather want to analyze or explain my thought that the Eiffel Tower is in France as "really" having the form "abcxyz", which in some sense is supposed to mean that it is composed (right?) out of more basic thoughts. That ambition would be more comprehensible to me, although the account in question is still entirely obscure and unmotivated. (Not to mention, I don't know what a basic thought is.)

3/26/2018 3:57 am  #104

surroundx wrote:

A pattern, for material entities, is a difference in the conjoined or disjoined relation between the totality of conjuncts under consideration.

Relations aren't properties? You said "conjuncts", does it mean that the Simples have no relations ?

surroundx wrote:

Not at all. Two physically identical entities can still differ in their behaviour, for example.

Nope, no "not at all", you're fueling my own mill here : how can two different things can be "identical" on some quality, respect or anything if they don't share something, e.g. have something in common ? Don't say that "well, it's in the brain", because if it's just in the brain, it's not something about the things... and it's something you have to explain, in this case.

surroundx wrote:

Meaning is simply a link between a label/thought and a referent. Abstractions are predicated upon reality. I fail to see the inconsistency there.

Well, if "persons" is an abstraction, and just that, I fail to see what you mean by "well, 'persons' is a label". Because you can say that about pretty much anything : a table is a labela clock is a label, etc. But you're not saying that a table, a label and persons refer to the same thing, are you ?

Sorry if my tone sounds haughty, but there seem to be lots of concepts you're using in a way that appears contradictory to me.

God bless,

FSC

3/27/2018 8:28 am  #105

Greg wrote:

Something has propositional content if it is specified by a proposition. That's all it means. I'm thinking now that the Eiffel Tower is in France; the thought is picked out by reference to a proposition. (It is perhaps also possible simply to think of some object, say the Eiffel Tower.) The question of whether thoughts have propositional content is thus separable from any particular account of how thoughts or anything else can have propositional content. I would think that universals enter in at the second stage, if at all.

Denying that thoughts have propositional content seems tantamount to denying that there are thoughts (or, at least, that much of what we call thoughts are thoughts, if one thinks thoughts can simply have a singular object). I don't at all understand the suggestion that my thought has the form "abcxyz". I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. If that is supposed to be an alternative​ to saying that thoughts have propositional content (as your "more of" suggests), then I am not sure how it could be. For if the suggestion is that my thought that the Eiffel Tower is in France​ (the thought under discussion) has the form "abcxyz", then the theory is still picking out my thought by way of its propositional content, and it is hard to see how it could do otherwise, since otherwise you cannot say which thought has the form "abcxyz".

​Perhaps that wasn't your ambition, and you rather want to analyze or explain my thought that the Eiffel Tower is in France as "really" having the form "abcxyz", which in some sense is supposed to mean that it is composed (right?) out of more basic thoughts. That ambition would be more comprehensible to me, although the account in question is still entirely obscure and unmotivated. (Not to mention, I don't know what a basic thought is.)

I was doing both things: proposing a simpler alternative (although I was extremely vague, sorry) and arguing for composition. Starting with the latter is a nice lead-in to the former.

For any mind there is going to be a minimum thought that it can have. A "smallest subject" (primitive subject?) if you like. Assuming that we take subjects to be primitive and not predicates, which seems rather obvious. So as an explanation for why we can think about things that don't exist (or have never encountered before etc.), and why we seem to have differentially sized thoughts ("Eiffel Tower" vs "the Eiffel Tower is in France"), it seems most parsimonious to suggest that there are basic or simple thoughts (i.e. smallest/primitive subject) and those which are composed of such basic/primitive thoughts.

Now, since all of the most basic thoughts are subjects, and non-basic thoughts are made up of basic thoughts, it seems to me that all thoughts have only subjects. And therefore, predicates are a post-thought tool for prioritising one subject over another. For example, "Eiffel Tower" and "France" can both serve as subjects. So that whatever propositional content sentences have, or post-thought brain activity, thoughts themselves lack such content.

3/28/2018 8:51 am  #106

My apologies for the late reply.

FrenchySkepticalCatholic wrote:

Relations aren't properties? You said "conjuncts", does it mean that the Simples have no relations ?

Relations aren't anything over and above the entities themselves. It's just a heuristic tool.

I was illustrating a pattern by referring to a conjunction. I could have used a simple instead.

Nope, no "not at all", you're fueling my own mill here : how can two different things can be "identical" on some quality, respect or anything if they don't share something, e.g. have something in common ? Don't say that "well, it's in the brain", because if it's just in the brain, it's not something about the things... and it's something you have to explain, in this case.

They're physically identical. Saying that they're different does not entail that they are completely different (although the two are compatible).

Well, if "persons" is an abstraction, and just that, I fail to see what you mean by "well, 'persons' is a label". Because you can say that about pretty much anything : a table is a labela clock is a label, etc. But you're not saying that a table, a label and persons refer to the same thing, are you ?

'Persons' as a label has many individual referents (i.e. it is not a Proper Name). In order to apply to multiple referents, some diagnosis of the label 'persons' is required. Since applying the label still underdetermines the full nature of the referent, then it is a generalisation, and hence goes beyond the particularity of the referents.

3/28/2018 10:07 am  #107

surroundx wrote:

They're physically identical. Saying that they're different does not entail that they are completely different (although the two are compatible).

What do you mean by "physically identical"? They share the same _________ (feel free to fill in the blanks)?

3/29/2018 8:43 am  #108

surroundx wrote:

What do you mean by "physically identical"? They share the same _________ (feel free to fill in the blanks)?

They share the same body.

3/29/2018 12:07 pm  #109

surroundx wrote:

surroundx wrote:

They share the same body.

If they share the same body, then we must be talking about one single thing with a multiple personality disorder. Surely you do not mean it this way.

They must be two different bodies, but bodies of the same kind. Or same species, or something.

Perhaps you meant to say "The same body, but at different locations at the same time". This won't hold long either, but it makes more sense than "They share the same body" full stop.

3/29/2018 12:38 pm  #110

seigneur wrote:

If they share the same body, then we must be talking about one single thing with a multiple personality disorder. Surely you do not mean it this way.

They must be two different bodies, but bodies of the same kind. Or same species, or something.

Perhaps you meant to say "The same body, but at different locations at the same time". This won't hold long either, but it makes more sense than "They share the same body" full stop.

Well, he merely asked what they share. He didn't ask me for a theory of particular individuation. So while "the same body" might in some contexts be construed as entailing them being numerically identitical, I think it was clear what I meant given the context.

Last edited by surroundx (3/29/2018 12:40 pm)

Board footera