Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2015 8:49 pm  #11

Re: Finding a common base to argue from regarding the Catechism

Aquinas wrote:

Timocrates
In all honesty, your demeanour all the way through this thread has been uncharitable, pugnacious and rather rude.
If that is the way things work around here, I think I'll go elsewhere.

My friend, for one who rails against heretics you are rather pot to kettle right now.

Catholics detested Protestants as "miserable." They were anti-social. If you actually believe modern Protestants are miserable and anti-social people, then sure, you might have an argument; otherwise, as the proof I already gave you shows, you are the one in error.

The Church, however, like Jesus and my Protestant minister friend says, loves you notwithstanding. We are always here and always ready to welcome you back even if you chose to separate yourself and gather independently of us.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/14/2015 8:50 pm  #12

Scott wrote:

Aquinas wrote:

There are many problems with then New 1992 CCC and without listing them all, one will suffice to explain my reservations: The Protestant and like sects are ordinary means of salvation (§819) 

That isn't a quotation from §819 of the CCC. In fact, a Google search for that exact sentence returns precisely one result.

Care to clarify?

I was reading the article on the link you correctly post to. Obviously it is an interpretation (a correct one in my opinion) of #819 ...are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church:

7/14/2015 8:53 pm  #13

Aquinas wrote:

Scott wrote:

Aquinas wrote:

There are many problems with then New 1992 CCC and without listing them all, one will suffice to explain my reservations: The Protestant and like sects are ordinary means of salvation (§819) 

That isn't a quotation from §819 of the CCC. In fact, a Google search for that exact sentence returns precisely one result.

Care to clarify?

I was reading the article on the link you correctly post to. Obviously it is an interpretation (a correct one in my opinion) of #819 ...are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church:

Visible, yes. Like visibly attacking Church authorities. That's quite visible. And here's a radical difference: many men attack what they call or think to be the Church, Christ or Christian doctrine. And we forgive them for it; for they attack a ghost. You claim to know, and attack it notwithstanding.

Watch your own words.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

7/14/2015 8:53 pm  #14

Aquinas wrote:

Scott wrote:

Aquinas wrote:

Care to clarify?

"An element of truth" =/= salvation in the Catholic sense.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/14/2015 9:05 pm  #15

Etzelnik wrote:

Aquinas wrote:

Scott wrote:

Care to clarify?

"An element of truth" =/= salvation in the Catholic sense.

Correct. But it is widely understood to be a positive thing and does no hurt or injury; in fact, quite the opposite. The original quote is from the Second Vatican Council, and where that was written it was also said that it compels to Catholic unity (using Catholic and unity in their more etymological sense than as a proper noun or name).

Last edited by Timocrates (7/14/2015 9:05 pm)

7/14/2015 9:12 pm  #16

I hate to step in on a battle I have no investment in but Benedict says of it in The Meaning of Christian Brotherhood

Benedict XVI wrote:

The difficulty in the way of giving an answer is a profound one. Ultimately it is due to the fact that there is no appropriate category in Catholic thought for the phenomenon of Protestantism today (one could say the same of the relationship to the separated churches of the East). It is obvious that the old category of ‘heresy’ is no longer of any value. Heresy, for Scripture and the early Church, includes the idea of a personal decision against the unity of the Church, and heresy’s characteristic is pertinacia, the obstinacy of him who persists in his own private way. This, however, cannot be regarded as an appropriate description of the spiritual situation of the Protestant Christian. In the course of a now centuries-old history, Protestantism has made an important contribution to the realization of Christian faith, fulfilling a positive function in the development of the Christian message and, above all, often giving rise to a sincere and profound faith in the individual non-Catholic Christian, whose separation from the Catholic affirmation has nothing to do with the pertinacia characteristic of heresy. Perhaps we may here invert a saying of St. Augustine’s: that an old schism becomes a heresy. The very passage of time alters the character of a division, so that an old division is something essentially different from a new one. Something that was once rightly condemned as heresy cannot later simply become true, but it can gradually develop its own positive ecclesial nature, with which the individual is presented as his church and in which he lives as a believer, not as a heretic. This organization of one group, however, ultimately has an effect on the whole. The conclusion is inescapable, then: Protestantism today is something different from heresy in the traditional sense, a phenomenon whose true theological place has not yet been determined.

The heretical status of Protestantism is a nuanced matter due to the passage of time, but it certainly was *once* rightly called "heresy". Certainly, within Catholicism, if one espoused sola scriptura & sola fide you would rightly be called a heretic. As I read that, though I don't put it so judiciously, the protestant community basically now has a kind of ignorance that saves them from true obstinacy because of their longevity.

Last edited by iwpoe (7/14/2015 9:20 pm)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/14/2015 9:17 pm  #17

Aquinas wrote:

In all honesty . . . 

An interesting choice of words in view of what appears to be a degree of disingenuousness in your own posts.

You initially claimed to find a "potential source of confusion" in references to the CCC that failed to specify which CCC, as though anyone referring to an otherwise unspecified catechism was likely to mean something other than the current one (and as though it were more convenient to launch a general discussion than simply to ask when you weren't sure).

But as of your next post you were asking the very different question of which catechism could/should be relied on. So it seems that your quoted "interpretation" of §819 (which you appeared to be attributing, wrongly, to §819 itself) was your real concern, and the source of your quotation gives a pretty good clue as to why.

It would not be unreasonable to conclude, at least tentatively, that you do not accept (what you understand to be) the teaching of Lumen gentium as quoted in the aforementioned §819, that your remarks against "passively accept[ing] error" are in fact directed at one of the Constitutions of the Second Vatican Council, and that that's the real reason for your original question.

At the very least you should be able to see why Timocrates is a little suspicious and to understand why a bit more explanation is in order if those suspicions are not well-founded. But even if they are, nevertheless, as Timocrates says, the Church is always ready to welcome you (back, if it is "back").

Last edited by Scott (7/14/2015 9:26 pm)

7/14/2015 9:44 pm  #18

iwpoe wrote:

I hate to step in on a battle I have no investment in but Benedict says of it in The Meaning of Christian Brotherhood

Benedict XVI wrote:

The difficulty in the way of giving an answer is a profound one. Ultimately it is due to the fact that there is no appropriate category in Catholic thought for the phenomenon of Protestantism today (one could say the same of the relationship to the separated churches of the East). It is obvious that the old category of ‘heresy’ is no longer of any value. Heresy, for Scripture and the early Church, includes the idea of a personal decision against the unity of the Church, and heresy’s characteristic is pertinacia, the obstinacy of him who persists in his own private way. This, however, cannot be regarded as an appropriate description of the spiritual situation of the Protestant Christian. In the course of a now centuries-old history, Protestantism has made an important contribution to the realization of Christian faith, fulfilling a positive function in the development of the Christian message and, above all, often giving rise to a sincere and profound faith in the individual non-Catholic Christian, whose separation from the Catholic affirmation has nothing to do with the pertinacia characteristic of heresy. Perhaps we may here invert a saying of St. Augustine’s: that an old schism becomes a heresy. The very passage of time alters the character of a division, so that an old division is something essentially different from a new one. Something that was once rightly condemned as heresy cannot later simply become true, but it can gradually develop its own positive ecclesial nature, with which the individual is presented as his church and in which he lives as a believer, not as a heretic. This organization of one group, however, ultimately has an effect on the whole. The conclusion is inescapable, then: Protestantism today is something different from heresy in the traditional sense, a phenomenon whose true theological place has not yet been determined.

The heretical status of Protestantism is a nuanced matter due to the passage of time, but it certainly was *once* rightly called "heresy". Certainly, within Catholicism, if one espoused sola scriptura & sola fide you would rightly be called a heretic. As I read that, though I don't put it so judiciously, the protestant community basically now has a kind of ignorance that saves them from true obstinacy because of their longevity.

But that is the crucial word, "espoused." If we understand "espoused" to mean "to say or claim based on necessary meaning of the words said" then, yes, one would theoretically be a heretic for saying "by faith alone we are saved," for example. But heresy is not merely the appearance of faithlessness. It is an ontological (if I am using that word correctly) lack - arguably not even that - an actual defect of Faith. Heresy is a sin against Faith - for the Catholic, at least. A Catholic may very well say things (presumably badly from a philosophical point of view) that are, technically, heretical. What is important, however, is his meaning or understanding. Many true Christians, I am sure, have said things (lied) to spare their necks (quite literally) but didn't believe them, for example. Such as these were and are not heretics.

7/14/2015 9:48 pm  #19

Okay. I've no idea where all the negatives are coming from, but I posted an honest question and don't really feel comfortable with the responses I am getting, so I will just leave it at that.

This is probably the most unwelcoming forum I have ever come across.

Bye.

(edited to fix spelling)

Last edited by Aquinas (7/14/2015 9:48 pm)

7/14/2015 9:48 pm  #20

I am going to move this thread to the religious forum. It seems to me that it better belongs there.

Aquinas: I'm confused how you can consider this a partcularly unwelcoming forum. Certainly, many Catholics are not going to welcome what you are implying and are going to express the dislike of your perspective. You really will have to put up with that sort of thing.

Board footera