Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2018 2:51 pm  #1

How to read more

I'm assuming many users here are big readers. It always bothers me how distracted I get while reading philosophy. I'm typically interested in all the material I read but I can't seem to curb my wandering mind. And I often get distracted and end up not reading what I intend to read. Any tips?

4/12/2018 10:07 pm  #2

Re: How to read more

It's not easy. Setting small time-based goals can be helpful, e.g., read uninterruptedly for the next hour, then take a short break. Perhaps have a policy of not checking website or email during certain hours. Perhaps write down things it occurs to you to do, rather than stop reading to do them.

4/13/2018 5:39 am  #3

Not easy indeed. I'd suggest switching the phone and computer off for the time of reading, but then maybe you are reading on the phone or computer, so it's extremely challenging to just read and not get distracted.

It helps if you are orderly in general: Anything you do, do according to plan, and have roughly the same plan for every day/week. And this includes the mind: Pay attention to what you are thinking, never leave important thoughts unfinished; while trying to finish a thought, think only what's relevant to that thought. Consequently: When you read, have an assigned time span for it, do nothing else during that time span, jot notes to help with comprehension of the current text, refuse interruptors and intruders.

4/13/2018 3:08 pm  #4

Great tips. I especially like the idea of small time based goals, Greg. Hopefully I can be disciplined enough to follow to implement these.

Board footera