Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2015 7:58 pm  #1

Paying for the site

If I understand how this service works, they start removing messages once you've hit about 500. This is certainly not ideal for a philosophy forum, since we will eventually, if we're moderately successful, want to keep archives.

As it stands, I am personally willing to pay out of my own pocket to step us up to higher levels of service, particularly if I can get a similar commitment from other contributors. I think top tier service on this website is $25 a month, and should we ever get to the point where we demand that much service then I am certainly willing to guarantee up to that amount every month, though I don't think that I'm willing to be the only contributor. If we ever get beyond that, then I have resources and experience sufficient to set us up an independent website, though that is much too ambitious to plan about this early.

Is anyone else willing to offer a financial commitment either now or in the near future?

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

6/27/2015 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Paying for the site

iwpoe wrote:

If I understand how this service works, they start removing messages once you've hit about 500. This is certainly not ideal for a philosophy forum, since we will eventually, if we're moderately successful, want to keep archives.

Where did you read that? Their front page says:

Long before Youtube or Facebook came about, we were already giving away free message boards. We'll be here for you in the future as well. Instantly create a Boardhost forum that allows you unlimited categories, postings, users, and even pageviews, or create a classic Boardhost message board, loved by our customers and easy to use. Over the years, we have become known for our reliability and ease of use. Our service is easy enough for beginners, yet contains high powered tools that advanced users crave. (my emphasis)

Last edited by John West (6/27/2015 8:16 pm)

6/27/2015 8:29 pm  #3

http://boardhost.com/plans.html

I think they mean that the free option offers an unlimited *number* of posts but that they remove the older ones at a certain cap (as opposed to stopping new ones) otherwise the different tiers of service make no sense.

Last edited by iwpoe (6/27/2015 8:33 pm)

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

6/27/2015 8:42 pm  #4

Okay. Well, if it's possible, I recommend upgrading only as the space is required, to save money. Call me a bean counter if you must; I consider frugality a virtue, and everybody likes saving money.

6/27/2015 9:01 pm  #5

I think they draw a distinction between forums and message boards. Forums - which this is - have unlimited postings:

http://boardhost.com/features.html

Your forum can contain as many postings as your users can type up. We won't place limits on what can be stored in your forum.

I think that the updated features for forums have to do with less advertising and faster bandwith. You also get extra features, such as private forums. At the moment I don't think paying for the forum is necessary.

6/27/2015 9:34 pm  #6

I didn't know that pure old fashioned message boards even still existed.

What do they mean when they say you get "Unlimited categories and topics of discussion & Unlimited postings and storage of older postings" when you pay for premium? I just assumed that meant that those things were limited when you don't.

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

6/28/2015 1:01 am  #7

I am not sure. There may be limits to the categories on the forum, although you certainly can have quite a few category areas and subforums. The points about the unlimited postings seem contradictory.

Board footera