Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2018 4:47 pm  #11

Re: ​Who are your three biggest philosophical influences?

UGADawg, UGADawg, and UGADawg, because I spit hot fire.

7/03/2018 5:34 pm  #12

Who is this The Great UGADawg? 

7/03/2018 5:36 pm  #13

Interesting replies so far. The Thomists are the heart and soul of the forum, but it's kind of nice to see so many people with existentialists (proto-existentialists, anyway) in their lists.

7/03/2018 5:56 pm  #14

In terms of life influence: Plotinus, Nietzsche, Guenon and Dostoevsky.

Academically: Husserl, Leibniz, Lowe and Pruss.

Special mentions would also have to go to Aquinas, as Thomism was really my gateway to actual philosophy from ancient philosophy and comparative religion, Anselm, since both the ontological argument and axiological arguments from degrees of value are perennial interests, and good ole' Ed (since it was his Philosophy of Mind book which convinced me to study analytical philosophy generally).

7/03/2018 7:35 pm  #15

Albert Camus' The Plague originally got me interested in philosophy. We didn't have philosophy classes in high school so my English teacher covertly decided to peruse through some heavy philosophical issues such as nihilism, the source of moral values and obligations, whether or not one can truly be saint in a cosmos without God. He introduced a lot of this through Camus.

William Lane Craig was also a big influence, especially during my evangelical phase where I was desperately trying to scavenge for the pieces of of faith that I mistakenly thought had been left shattered by the cultural presumption of scientism. Definitely Feser, Aristotle, and Aquinas--and  Oderberg to a lesser degree--kindled my interest in metaphysics. I found Descartes and Kant fascinating but never explored them much. Nietzsche was fun to read and as of recent Thomas Nagel has prompted an interest in a naturalistic account of the mind.

Not sure if we're counting Lewis and Chesterton as philosophers, but they definitely were an influence during my early years of Christianity.

That was more than three.

7/03/2018 9:36 pm  #16

Hmmm, so far my three biggest philosophical influences are William Lane Craig, Edward Feser and John Rist. 

William Lane Craig introduced me to Christian analytic philosophy, and the rationality of Christianity. Dr. Feser introduced me to classical philosophy with an analytic bent. Finally, John Rist convinced me of the importance of a Platonist metaphysics.  

Special mentions are J.L Mackie (His queerness argument has some interesting implications) and Nietzsche (He's kind of funny).

7/03/2018 10:29 pm  #17

DanielCC wrote:

In terms of life influence: Plotinus, Nietzsche, Guenon and Dostoevsky.

Academically: Husserl, Leibniz, Lowe and Pruss.

Special mentions would also have to go to Aquinas, as Thomism was really my gateway to actual philosophy from ancient philosophy and comparative religion, Anselm, since both the ontological argument and axiological arguments from degrees of value are perennial interests, and good ole' Ed (since it was his Philosophy of Mind book which convinced me to study analytical philosophy generally).

I honestly think Pruss will go down in history as one of the GOATs

7/04/2018 4:17 pm  #18

RomanJoe wrote:

Not sure if we're counting Lewis and Chesterton as philosophers, but they definitely were an influence during my early years of Christianity.

They definitely count as philosophical influences
They've probably done more to interest people in philosophy than almost any of the more “academic” philosophers (except maybe some of the existentialists).

as of recent Thomas Nagel has prompted an interest in a naturalistic account of the mind.

For what it's worth, I think you'll leave the subject a lot more confident in the mind's non-materiality. In fashion, materialism is ascendent; but, dialectically, it's starting to look pretty beat-up. I don't think most materialists would be willing to make the kinds of moves I think they have to to save it from the dustbin.

7/04/2018 5:40 pm  #19

What about you, Calhoun? I know you've read a lot of analytic literature.

And where is our glorious Frenchman? I've studied under French professors, so I have an idea of the kind of rubbish you probably have to deal with whenever philosophy comes up. (Anglos have to contend with lots of naturalists, but at least they're still objectively-minded. The French have to contend with rampant postmodernism.) How does someone surrounded by all that get to Thomism?

7/04/2018 7:50 pm  #20

I like Daniel's division of life and academic influence. E. F. Schumacher may not be an academic philosopher, but his Guide for the Perplexed was a big influence on me, in the sense that when I read it in my late teens, I first realised there were rational anti-materialist arguments.

Although I am a huge Chesterton fan, C. S. Lewis in particular made some arguments of continuing philosophical worth. His famous chapter on the argument from reason, is a must be read for anyone interested in that argument, and anti-materialist accounts of the mind more generally.

Board footera