Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2018 9:58 pm  #1

What are you reading?

Currently I'm reading Peter Coffey's Epistemology. There's a pdf copy open to the public domain here:
https://archive.org/details/epistemologyort00coffgoog/page/n6

Prior to that I was reading Epictetus' Enchiridion. I can't recommend his work enough--I consider Epictetus to be the height of Stoic thought. 

12/14/2018 1:09 am  #2

Re: What are you reading?

The 10,000 Year Explosion, the most shocking and fascinating book about evolution I've read. Here Cochran comments on David Reich's new opus on prehistoric DNA and how it confirms some of his speculations. I like Cochran because he doesn't spit in my face by telling me how stupid my religious views are and he doesn't have a PC bone in his body. Dawkins (& others) think they're philosopher kings. Not. Just tell me the current state of the theories and shut up.

Blueprint by Robert Plomin makes a great accompaniment to The Nurture Assumption by Judith Harris. Both are footnotes to Strawson. (This stuff starts me brooding on how we cling to the PSR and avoid determinism.)

Dharmakiirti's Refutation of Theism by Roger Jackson was featured in a great Feser post where Ed has Maimonides answer the Eastern skeptic. Definitely see the concluding remarks of Jackson's article:

"If we strip away the almost bewildering variety of arguments we have reviewed, we find at bottom two basic issues on which our two main antagonists the Nyaaya -Vai ‘sesikas and Buddhists have disagreed: (1) the existence of a permanent entity and its relation to the impermanent and (2) the requirement that causal action entail a conscious agent. Many complex philosophical discussions turn on these two issues, yet it might be argued that the attitudes toward each entertained by each of the schools is, in fact, pre-philosophical, and thus not essentially amenable to revision on the basis of rational considerations."

The Founding of Buddhism by John Longeway. Scroll to the bottom for his History of Philosophy. I understood Buddhism for minutes at a time during his lectures. 

Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy: 

Night fell long and cool through the woods about him and spectral quietude set in. As if something were about that crickets and nightbirds held in dread. He went on faster. With full dark he was confused in a swampy forest, floundering through sucking quagmires… in full flight now, the trees beginning to close him in, malign and baleful shapes that reared like enormous androids provoked at the alien insubstantiality of this flesh colliding among them.

Harold Bloom considers Blood Meridian one of the greatest books ever writ. I second that emotion. His books make great holiday gifts!

1/29/2019 8:55 am  #3

Re: What are you reading?

Just finishing first book of 50 shades of grey series...would love to hear what others are reading I need some recommendations

Board footera