Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2018 11:55 pm  #1

Besides English, what languages do you speak?

I've deliberately left Latin and Ancient Greek out of the main options. The reason will become apparent later.

Besides English, what languages do you speak?

12/19/2018 12:44 pm  #2

Re: Besides English, what languages do you speak?

I'm considering opening non-English subforums. As far as I know, there really isn't anything like the classical theism forum in French. There is the French Aquinas forum, but it's out of touch with contemporary ontology and philosophy of religion (perhaps because a lot of the work in them is in English). It also (as an Aquinas forum) doesn't really leave much room for the serious Platonist contingent we tend to attract. I like the French Aquinas forum. I check it about once a month. But thems the breaks. I know we have at least three or four fluent French speakers.

Not many Germans. At least a few Spanish speakers. Well, it's just a thought at this point.

12/19/2018 3:02 pm  #3

Wait, you mean this one: http://www.thomas-aquin.net/PHPhorum/list.php?f=1 ?

If so, it's a small planet.

12/19/2018 11:16 pm  #4

Hebrew
Ancient Aramaic
---------------
I also have basic reading competence in German, French, Spanish, and Arabic
So a Hebrew sub-forum is the only one I'd be able to respectably contribute to.

Last edited by Etzelnik (12/19/2018 11:18 pm)

Noli turbare circulos meos.

12/20/2018 12:43 am  #5

Ouros wrote:

Wait, you mean this one: http://www.thomas-aquin.net/PHPhorum/list.php?f=1 ?

If so, it's a small planet.

That's the one. They clearly know their Aristotle and primary source Aquinas, but, for instance, I've seen one of their administrators correcting himself that God is a brute fact. (I half expected some of the guys from here to show up with pitchforks! Haha.)

The conversation with Ingthorsson was another instance. I remember thinking that some of what Ingthorsson was saying was fairly boilerplate in contemporary powers theory, which is heavily influenced by C. B. Martin. They completely missed it, though, and spent a lot of time talking past him. People here would have been more likely to pick up on it.

12/29/2018 12:21 am  #6

John West wrote:

That's the one. They clearly know their Aristotle and primary source Aquinas, but, for instance, I've seen one of their administrators correcting himself that God is a brute fact. (I half expected some of the guys from here to show up with pitchforks! Haha.)

The conversation with Ingthorsson was another instance. I remember thinking that some of what Ingthorsson was saying was fairly boilerplate in contemporary powers theory, which is heavily influenced by C. B. Martin. They completely missed it, though, and spent a lot of time talking past him. People here would have been more likely to pick up on it.

Is there any real dialogue between modern French Thomism and continental philosophy? I'm very sympathetic to the 20th century European Thomists I've read (Pieper, Maritain), but I'm not sure to what extent that type of existentially flavored Thomism is a thing of the past. I'm certainly not seeing it at that forum.

(Spanish and French for me, and I definitely like the idea of non-English subforums.)

1/01/2019 4:29 pm  #7

Hypatia wrote:

Is there any real dialogue between modern French Thomism and continental philosophy? I'm very sympathetic to the 20th century European Thomists I've read (Pieper, Maritain), but I'm not sure to what extent that type of existentially flavored Thomism is a thing of the past. I'm certainly not seeing it at that forum.

I'm not sure!

1/01/2019 7:37 pm  #8

I speak English, but I'm fluent in American.

1/01/2019 7:45 pm  #9

How obnoxious. 

12/12/2020 11:15 pm  #10

i was more like talking about these I know a bit more than "less to nothing"

Im also not that advanced in HTML/Javascript but I manage somehow when needed

Im asking because I have a small problem in C# which I need to solve but im not sure what would be the right direction to solve it

Board footera