Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2015 9:32 am  #1

When Politics intrudes on Metaphysics: the Sydney U Way

Since people seem a bit gloomy over certain factors in Australian politics and the encroachment of politics on philosopher esp metaphysics in general it seems the perfect time for this. Most people will be aware of the controversy at least through mention in David Stove's essays but this is well worth reading Franklin's summary even if one’s seen those.

The Sydney Philosophy Disturbances

postscript: ``It is now clear that the Beast will not leave any of us in peace. It seems necessary therefore that he be discredited and driven from the University. I shall henceforth support any tactic (within certain limits) that seems likely to help the achievement of this end.'' Nerlich proposed to take no notice of it, but the note somehow fell into Armstrong's hands.

Claims that a number of remarks about ‘wringing ostrich necks’ were made at this point are entirely unsubstantiated.

In June 1971, David Armstrong chaired a lunchtime talk by the First Secretary of the South Vietnamese Embassy. A student took the microphone at the end of the talk and began abusing the speaker. Armstrong seized the microphone back, and a scuffle ensued while he was restrained. The incident is remembered for a spectacular photograph taken of an enraged Armstrong trying to grab the microphone. People had the picture blown up, and took to referring to Armstrong as ``the Beast''.

Is this photo available anywhere online? I tried just Google searching it but sadly nothing. I it found and primed in time for the ghastly online shouting match that is the American Elections.

8/12/2015 9:55 am  #2

Re: When Politics intrudes on Metaphysics: the Sydney U Way

That Hegel and Nietzsche (and even Marx) should be taken to support the view that philosophy is nothing but politics in any mundane sense as practiced by, say, contemporary (particularly feminist) identity politics, is absurd and must be viciously rooted out of all study of nineteenth century philosophy. If we have to sacrifice the powerful readings of Derrida, Foucault, and Deluze to save ourselves from the idiocy of their followers, so be it.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

8/12/2015 3:03 pm  #3

Well to be fair on those figures that situation is not conduce to the proper study and evaluation of any philosopher’s thought be it Plato or Deluze. When the focus is on activism to that extent the emphasis shifts from understanding and critiquing a philosophical idea to evaluating it primarily on its potential practical utility and application.

You’re taking it way more seriously than me though. I was picturing faux-pulp scenarios where Devitt sets of under the cover off darkness intending to beat up Armstrong and dumb him in Sydney harbour only for that former to be found the next morning blodied and bruised and covered in tar and ostrich feathers.

8/12/2015 3:57 pm  #4

These kinds of fights tainted Continental work for decades. It is the only reason it was fortunate that Heidegger was a fascist because it made him hard to directly assimilate.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera