Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2015 11:43 pm  #1

Female philosophers of religion

I find it really interesting that even today the majority of major philosophers of religion are guys and this includes the atheistic side. Of course, there are some important female philosophers of religion such as Edith Stein, Elizabeth Anscombe, Eleonore Stump, Laura Garcia on the theistic side. Nonetheless, on the atheistic side one that I can think of is Louise Anthony. Do you guys know of other important female philosophers who specialize in philosophy of religion?

9/01/2015 5:05 am  #2

Re: Female philosophers of religion

Marilyn McCord Adams is another well-known female philosopher of religion. Her areas of speciality are theodicies and William of Ockham (she authored a massive two volume study of that figure).

There is also Linda Zagzebski who has done important work on Virtue Epistemology and Ethics, and contributed an interesting monograph on the relation between God and First-Person knowledge, Omnisubjectivity: A Defense of a Divine Attribute

9/13/2015 9:50 pm  #3

Dierdre Carrabine is an important figure in studies of Platonic theology. She wrote the book "The Unknown God: Negative Theology in the Platonic Tradition".

9/14/2015 5:10 am  #4

There is also Katharin Rogers, who has done important work on Anselm and Perfect Being Theology as well engaged in a famous exchange on the virtues of Eternalism verses Presentism with Leftow. In fact I notice that she has a new book out now:

Freedom and Self-Creation: Anselmian Libertarianism

Last edited by DanielCC (9/14/2015 5:10 am)

Board footera