Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2016 12:07 am  #1

Hello, forum

Hello there. I found this forum via Ed Feser's blog, which I don't normally read, but I check in on it occasionally. I'm a young man from Ireland, and an Orthodox Christian, and I look forward to talking philosophy with you. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

"Is it not excessively ridiculous to seek the good opinion of those whom you would never wish to be like?"

+St John Chrysostom

3/27/2016 2:30 am  #2

Re: Hello, forum

Boom, we got a talker and an Orthodox! Thanks Ed.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/27/2016 2:31 am  #3

Do you have an excess of lurkers here? 

"Is it not excessively ridiculous to seek the good opinion of those whom you would never wish to be like?"

+St John Chrysostom

3/27/2016 3:01 am  #4

Seán Mac Críodáin wrote:

Welcome to a forum. 

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/27/2016 3:02 am  #5

iwpoe wrote:

Seán Mac Críodáin wrote:

Welcome to a forum. 

Hah! Fair enough. I'll try to make some worthwhile contributions.

+St John Chrysostom

3/28/2016 3:15 pm  #6

Welcome!

Though (i've been in a joking mood for days) the title of this thread makes me think of a children's book for young philosophers, 'Hellow Forum, Hello Moon', heh heh.

Chris-Kirk

3/28/2016 6:00 pm  #7

Welcome, Sean! ​Are you Eastern Orthodox?

I am an ex-Anglican (sort of) and have considered joining an Orthodox Church myself.

3/30/2016 2:30 pm  #8

Shade Tree Philosopher wrote:

Welcome!

Though (i've been in a joking mood for days) the title of this thread makes me think of a children's book for young philosophers, 'Hellow Forum, Hello Moon', heh heh.

Chris-Kirk

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

Welcome, Sean! ​Are you Eastern Orthodox?

I am an ex-Anglican (sort of) and have considered joining an Orthodox Church myself.

I'm part of a Byzantine Rite parish, so I suppose I'm technically Eastern Orthodox, but I'm a westerner and I don't like to be a special snowflake by using an unusual term like Western Orthodox, so I normally just say Orthodox. But yes, I am part of the Patriarchate of Antioch, in communion with the canonical Eastern Orthodox churches.

What do you mean by sort of ex-Anglican?

Last edited by Seán Mac Críodáin (3/30/2016 2:32 pm)

+St John Chrysostom

3/30/2016 5:29 pm  #9

I'm a Platonist first and foremost. I also was an Anglican, but I left because of all the nonsense (and a dawning realisation that the Anglican Church never was English Orthodoxy - but was always split between those more inclined towards Orthodox and Catholic positions and Calvinists and other reformers). Now, I'm basically without a Church, but just a follower of an English Christianity rooted in the preformation and, even, pre-conquest English and British Christianity. In many ways my spirituality is closer to Orthodoxy than Protestantism or even the Roman Church. But I must say I am one of those snowflakes who is most interested in Western rite Orthodoxy, because I feel very attached to British and English Christianity - I still have a lot of respect for some aspects of Anglican, whether high church or more middle of the road, from Cranmer's liturgy to Dr. Johnson to the tractarians.

3/30/2016 6:00 pm  #10

Jeremy Taylor wrote:

I'm a Platonist first and foremost. I also was an Anglican, but I left because of all the nonsense (and a dawning realisation that the Anglican Church never was English Orthodoxy - but was always split between those more inclined towards Orthodox and Catholic positions and Calvinists and other reformers). Now, I'm basically without a Church, but just a follower of an English Christianity rooted in the preformation and, even, pre-conquest English and British Christianity. In many ways my spirituality is closer to Orthodoxy than Protestantism or even the Roman Church. But I must say I am one of those snowflakes who is most interested in Western rite Orthodoxy, because I feel very attached to British and English Christianity - I still have a lot of respect for some aspects of Anglican, whether high church or more middle of the road, from Cranmer's liturgy to Dr. Johnson to the tractarians.

I didn't mean at all to criticise the Western Rite. Please forgive me if I came across that way. I'm interested in it as well, but it isn't available to me where I live. No matter; I have what God has given me, and it's more than sufficient.

Are there any Western Rite Orthodox parishes near where you live? If so, you should definitely pay them a visit and have a chat with the priest. Failing that, the Byzantine Rite is also magnificent, and there is absolutely no incompatibility between it and the west. Just remember, the trick is not to make God English, but to make Englishness Godly, if you follow. 

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/hp.php

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be Eastern. The West was Orthodox for a thousand years, and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."

+St John Maximovitch (whom one will also find known as "the Wonderworker", "of Shanghai", and "of San Francisco"

Last edited by Seán Mac Críodáin (3/30/2016 6:01 pm)

+St John Chrysostom

Board footera