Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2016 8:16 pm  #11

Re: Is This Anti-Pro-Life Messaging Libelous?

Personally, I'm a monarchist. I don't just mean I'm a monarchist in the sense that any traditionalist or conservative Englishman is a monarchist, and indeed most Brits are. I actually support monarchy as a form of government. I would love for HRH to rule at the head of a Prince's party. However, I also think we are in a precarious position in the modern West - things could get a lot worse. And I don't think we should destabilise the current system.

3/22/2016 6:25 pm  #12

No king without the appropriate (sacred) charismata in my opinion. For me, as a Christian, it's the grace of God that causes a king to be a real king. It's what caused pagan kings to bend knee to the faith because they had never seen such a thing. In reality, the pagan kings of Europe were just warlords and chieftains. It was different in the past and I think it's near impossible to describe an equivalence today.

In the 'olden days,' you were anointed to do something and you were anointed by the Church (hence the doctrine of the divine right of kings was already a reversal of the reality and one reason why the Popes thought they could depose Christian (anointed) kings). You were a defender of the flock. The people of God's bodyguard. You can't inherit that: you are given it.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/22/2016 6:27 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

3/23/2016 5:45 pm  #13

Timocrates wrote:

No king without the appropriate (sacred) charismata in my opinion. For me, as a Christian, it's the grace of God that causes a king to be a real king. It's what caused pagan kings to bend knee to the faith because they had never seen such a thing. In reality, the pagan kings of Europe were just warlords and chieftains. It was different in the past and I think it's near impossible to describe an equivalence today.

I'm willing to believe non-Christian kings can be divinely legitimate as an aspect of God's benevolence, but I do think that it's more appropriate that some form of subordination of the king to the mysteries of the world be at least formally evoked, since one may conquer but one cannot rule for or by one's own glory.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/29/2016 12:45 pm  #14

iwpoe wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

I'm willing to believe non-Christian kings can be divinely legitimate as an aspect of God's benevolence, but I do think that it's more appropriate that some form of subordination of the king to the mysteries of the world be at least formally evoked, since one may conquer but one cannot rule for or by one's own glory.

Well, as the Church has often taught, there is no such thing as a king or royal power unless the man can rule himself. Pharaohs and Caesars come and go. Nothing stands in equivalence to the Christian king. Their glory was not of themselves: whenever they thought so, they were humbled. Their glory is God's grace.

Last edited by Timocrates (3/29/2016 12:49 pm)

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

Board footera