Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2016 11:39 am  #1

Islamic Apologetics

Would anyone know of any work along the lines of The Last Superstition or D.B. Hart's Atheist Delusions which attacks popular strawman presentations of Islamic Theology? I am thinking of such time honoured media favourites as the Koran offering no opportunity for scriptural hermeneutics or that every Muslim expects to be rewarded with X number of virgins in paradise. Having an accurate, rhetorically punchy ready packaged knockdown for all of these would be useful.

3/30/2016 11:42 am  #2

Re: Islamic Apologetics

Do you want them to be as respectable? I've found low-level apologetics of that sort, and you can do basic research to know most of that isn't right.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/30/2016 11:49 am  #3

iwpoe wrote:

Do you want them to be as respectable? I've found low-level apologetics of that sort, and you can do basic research to know most of that isn't right.

As respectible as TLS and a lot of the anti-New Atheist stuff.

Re research, yes but part of the point of this is for people who haven't and (let's face it) won't.

3/30/2016 12:19 pm  #4

As a Muslim, personally I haven't heard of a book like that. I did fine websites which argues about Islam from a classical theistic perspective somewhat.
https://asharisassemble.com/
ismailignosis.com/

3/30/2016 12:35 pm  #5

I think the main problem is that the good Muslim apologetics isn't in English. And certainly it's unlikely to come from English speaking PhD holding professors at major universities. That's why I doubt I'll find a Feser of Islam.

My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

3/30/2016 5:32 pm  #6

I don't know if it counts as apologetics, but Dr. Nasr wrote an introduction to Islam:

http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Civilization-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr/dp/0060507144

4/02/2016 2:03 pm  #7

Like others stated, there aren't many apologetics in Islam that are primarily in English. For example, certain Shia philosophers have produced fascinating work in the realm of classical theism which attempts to link Mullah Sadra with Aquinas, but i am afraid that they are mostly in Farsi and Arabic. I recall one Sunni Scholar who discredited most of the New Atheist material by using Al Ghazali to take each point down, one by one. But i can't recall his name right now. If i do, i will let you know. 

P.S Someone should use this as a chance to a write an Islamic apologetics book similar to The LS to counter awful arguments made by atheists, and even many Christians as well. 

4/02/2016 2:28 pm  #8

What about Shabir Ally? I heard Shabir Ally is a pretty good Islam apologist.

4/02/2016 5:28 pm  #9

Seems decent. Here he is against Craig:

https://youtu.be/X8oDb447Jds

I can't vouch for his Orthodoxy, though. AKG, you know anything about him?

Last edited by iwpoe (4/02/2016 5:28 pm)

My Books
~Martin Heidegger

4/02/2016 5:43 pm  #10

I've heard of him, but I don't know too much about his orthodoxy as I'm not really interested in apologetic that much.

Board footera