Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2015 12:44 am  #1

Hello

Short Introduction

My name is Matt. I'm presently 29, from Knoxville, TN, US.

I trained very broadly in the history of philosophy,

I am quite literally interested in all of it in its relation and continuity, but I have special interest and expertise in the work of Plato, Rousseau, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger, as well the Greek, German, and Phenomenological traditions more broadly.

I've recently been convinced that something like Classical Theism- particularly as represented in the Platonic tradition -is true, and given my further interest in systematic philosophy, clearly this area is unavoidable and I have to take it on board. This is, at least in part, why I'm here.

Last edited by iwpoe (6/26/2015 6:09 am)

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

6/26/2015 10:39 am  #2

Re: Hello

Hi Matt and anyone else reading this.

My name is Tim.  I dig philosophy.  I'm a Catholic who struggles with being a good Catholic.
Oh.... and I love boxing.

6/29/2015 5:50 pm  #3

Hi everybody. As my username suggests, my name is Fred. I'm an old fart (53) with a deep interest in philosophy, especially Thomistic philosophy. I know more about it than the average bear, but it's very much an avocation rather than a vocation for me. I also am Catholic. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Matt. I think all Catholics at least occasionally struggle to be good Catholics.

6/29/2015 6:07 pm  #4

Fred, I'm only a slightly younger fart (52 in about two months) and I'm not a professional philosopher either. There are certainly some academics (and students) on the forum but not even all of them specialize in philosophy. It's an avocation for most of us here.

Last edited by Scott (6/29/2015 6:08 pm)

7/06/2015 2:46 pm  #5

I'm even older than Fred, and like him I'm not a professional philosopher, merely an interested layman with a keen interest in Thomism.  My formal credentials consist of three years of required philosophy courses at an eminent Catholic institution of higher learning back in the mid-Twentieth Century (back when, believe it or not, "Catholic" schools were actually recognizably Catholic). 

7/06/2015 3:38 pm  #6

A big hello to all,

My name is Jacob, I'm 18 and I'm from the UK.  I have no background in Philosophy but began to take in interest around a year ago when I began to deeply question my belief in God and human uniqueness.  I doubt my input will be of any use at all but I do enjoy learning and reading the vast insight of others.

7/06/2015 3:49 pm  #7

Hey, my name is Pedro Erik, Brazilian, who loves Feser since I read The Last Superstition. Nowadays, I am interested in Feser´s view on death penalty and just war.

Hello to all.

7/06/2015 3:51 pm  #8

Hi Pedro.

7/06/2015 4:59 pm  #9

Hi, everybody, and welcome.

Board footera