Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2016 12:27 am  #1

Mystic experiences

(If anybody wants to comment) Has anyone here practiced some sort of mystic spirituality and has had mystical experiences? I think some of the mystic spiritualities are really interesting such as some eastern practices like Zen Buddhism or Shinto. Of course, no to mention the Christian mystics like St. John of the Cross or Teresa of Avila.

5/11/2016 5:16 am  #2

Re: Mystic experiences

I used to be very much engaged with Kabbalah, until I got turned off by the bizarre antics of it's practitioners. I imagine I'll return to it after I learn a little more.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

5/11/2016 10:07 pm  #3

I have a great interest in mysticism and the esoteric. Most mystics, however, do not emphasis mystical visions and other phenomena as necessary to the spiritual journey in this life. Indeed, Sufis, for example, report things like visions and various powers and experience, like levitation, that sometimes accompany their spiritual quest. But they usually say to students that they should ignore these and not consider them important as part of their quest.​ 

​In my opinion the greatest of all Christian mystics is Meister Eckhart.

5/12/2016 4:20 am  #4

In the Abrahamic religions, you are estranged from God. In Buddhism and some interpretations of Hinduism, you are estranged from a universal cosmic mind (and so actually isn't that different from the Abrahamic religions). In Shinto, which is really a term-of-art for the indigenous practices cultivated by the Japanese, you are estranged from a very conformist society. Seriously. If you understand the degree of paranoia fitting in plays in Japanese society, then it becomes very understandable how metaphysical salvation might be tied up with your role in society.

This is the most charitable interpretation I can give, unfortunately, without lying.

Last edited by Tomislav Ostojich (5/12/2016 4:41 am)

5/12/2016 8:20 am  #5

Merton's a mystic? I mean, I know people say this. I vist Gethsemani all the time and have read much in the man with which I have profound sympathy, but I've never understood him to be a mystic. He seems merely to be a very gifted contemplative monk.

St. John, however, is undisputable. I would also recommend not neglecting knowledge of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/12/2016 8:38 am  #6

I would have to say that if one is looking for the most typical Christian mystics, then the Heychasts are the place to start. Only in the Heychasts, after all, do you have a proper means of mystical transmission, initiation, and instruction; something resembling the Sufis and mystics of the East. Except for ephemeral brotherhoods, like the Rhineland mystics or the Rosicrucions, you do not get this amongst Christian mystics. And even these brotherhoods tend not to have developed the same sought of clear spiritual methodology you find in the Jesus Prayer. You can still go to Mount Athos, say, as you could a Sufi Tariqa, and be initiated into a living  Christian mystical order.

5/12/2016 11:11 am  #7

I just got a translation of all of Eckhart's German works. I'd like to finish Dionysus first, but I'm thinking about posting on it regularly.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

5/14/2016 3:06 am  #8

Well yeah, it is not about the mystical experiences per se, but rather spiritual growth, maturity and enlightenment. For the Christian mystics their end is God. Anyways, any other mystical works that are recommendable?

6/21/2016 2:32 pm  #9

My preference in mystical works is when they lay out the path in a tiered or layered or gradual way. The Ladder of Divine Ascent by John Climacus is a good example. So is Adornment of Spiritual Marriage by John Ruysbroeck. And The Scale of Perfection by Walter Hilton too.

The visions are the language in which the inner experience informs the aspirant about his status and direction. They are the means of communication when on the path. Means, not the end. They are open to interpretation, the true meaning seen when they are put in the right context. The context is more important than the visions.

Sometimes there's silence, no communication. This also has to be put in context.

Board footera