Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2015 6:47 pm  #1

Hello

Hello, everyone.

I am a mathematician with an amateur interest in philosophy.  For several years now, I've been learning a lot from Feser's posts and from the helpful and knowledgeable commentors that his blog attracts.  I'm excited to see that some of these commentors are starting a free-standing forum here.

My own philosophical outlook, both by nature and on reflection, is atheistic, materialistic, and reductionistic.  In other words, from the A-T standpoint, wrong, wrong, wrong!  So I've always appreciated the patience with which my questions have been answered by the commentors on Feser's blog.  Thanks to them, I have some glimmering of the monumental intellectual power of the A-T ediface.  If I am indeed radically wrong in my worldview, then A-T, among all the systems that I know, seems most likely to be right.  I'm looking forward to learning more about this system here.

7/07/2015 6:53 pm  #2

Re: Hello

Always calm, interesting questions, too. It's good to see you around.

7/07/2015 7:43 pm  #3

Hey, Tyrrell! Welcome.

7/07/2015 10:27 pm  #4

Welcome!

Tyrrell McAllister wrote:

atheistic, materialistic, and reductionistic. . . . wrong, wrong, wrong!

There is a beautiful line in Gilson's The Unity of Philosophical Experience: "We may wholly disagree with Hegel, or with Comte, but nobody can read their encyclopedias without finding there an inexhaustable source of partial truths and of acute observations" (pp. 242ff).

Board footera