Classical Theism, Philosophy, and Religion Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2015 10:00 am  #1

Best Arguments Against Same-Sex Marriage

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what you think are the best arguments against same-sex marriage. I've read Anderson, George, and Sherif's 'What Is Marriage?', and I'm looking for more resources on the topic. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

7/09/2015 10:05 am  #2

Re: Best Arguments Against Same-Sex Marriage

It is hedonism directed at no end.

Noli turbare circulos meos.

7/09/2015 12:25 pm  #3

Etzelnik wrote:

Men have spilled millions of words saying what, in sum, is just that.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16 (3).

Defend your Family. Join the U.N. Family Rights Caucus.

7/09/2015 12:49 pm  #4

Timocrates wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

Haha

It took me a couple of years of fumbling the question to get there.

7/09/2015 12:53 pm  #5

Etzelnik wrote:

Timocrates wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

Haha

It took me a couple of years of fumbling the question to get there.

In my experience wrestling with things philosophically, I have found that clarity does not come easily but once it comes it's almost difficult to understand how you could ever have believed otherwise or doubted the truth. That is, it is as if it was obvious all along.

"The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State."

7/09/2015 1:04 pm  #6

Timocrates wrote:

In my experience wrestling with things philosophically, I have found that clarity does not come easily but once it comes it's almost difficult to understand how you could ever have believed otherwise or doubted the truth. That is, it is as if it was obvious all along.

Yeah.

I think of it like geometry.

7/09/2015 1:13 pm  #7

Etzelnik wrote:

It is hedonism directed at permanence and respectability, which is not an unvirtuous end. It could be properly Epicurean.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

7/09/2015 1:35 pm  #8

iwpoe wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

It is hedonism directed at permanence and respectability, which is not an unvirtuous end. It could be properly Epicurean.

Consider carefully bolded statements above. That at best amounts to a parody of virtue and is, arguably, even worse as a consequence.

Last edited by Timocrates (7/09/2015 1:36 pm)

7/09/2015 1:45 pm  #9

Additionally, I don't see any virtue at all in Epicureanism. It is a perversion of man's purpose.

7/09/2015 2:06 pm  #10

Timocrates wrote:

iwpoe wrote:

Etzelnik wrote:

Consider carefully bolded statements above. That at best amounts to a parody of virtue and is, arguably, even worse as a consequence.

Only if you think you cannot emerge from out of a worse state into a better. Would you have every man be virtuous before he be virtuous? This is a matter of self-cultivation.

Being in a deficient state can point you to a better one: one learns to shoot by way of shooting badly for a long time.

I think it perfectly comprehensible that homosexual couples see their present situation as not sufficiently serious and want to structure it towards something higher. I've never been in such a relationship, so perhaps this is an inherent impossibility, but I do think it's laudable as an attempt.

Fighting to the death "the noonday demon" of Acedia.
My Books
It is precisely “values” that are the powerless and threadbare mask of the objectification of beings, an objectification that has become flat and devoid of background. No one dies for mere values.
~Martin Heidegger

Board footera